• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,661 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2019 at 2:48 PM, Harry Lime said:

After a fairly torturous afternoon and many messaging and explaining the seller agreed to a hefty refund. Anyone who knows me on the boards will realise I don't mind low-grade books at all but if I'm going to bid on something I want to know, even roughly what the grade is going to be. The guy was a nice chap actually but his computer skills (he'd never had to process a return before) and especially his grading suck the big one. Strange for someone with such an impressive collection.

Here's the FF52. Weird thing about this is it's definitely missing a wrap but the story is unaffected and there's no obvious sign of what's gone. I'm thinking there must have been a double page advert at the centrefold? If there's anyone with a complete raw 52 could enlighten me? :foryou:

Scan_0001.thumb.jpg.a706ddaba1e290fa2e7e701278aa03c9.jpg

And the #12. The tape at both staples is the only thing keeping the cover together. Also it's signed by 'Stan Lee'. xD

Scan_0002.thumb.jpg.78c325e32ab445127cf709963c66ab2a.jpg

I once had a 52 that was missing the center wrap. It does affect the story.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, KirbyJack said:

If you carefully read FFs 66 and 67, you notice that Jack and Stan are telling different stories. The “Him” arc was the last truly innovative concept Kirby would give to Fantastic Four. After this, it was a steady diet of androids and reruns. Still beautiful, still great, but never again what it was. Fantastic Four (35?) 44-67 are as good as comics get. I keep waiting to run into a collector who targets just this run. 

On 11/11/2019 at 9:25 PM, JohnH19 said:

I’m not a big FF collector but I have 44-56, in varying conditions, so I’m a little over halfway to completing that particular run. My 52, however, is the 2006 second print. My 56 is a double cover so that’s kind of cool. Pics to follow.

Since I posted the above several weeks ago, I kind of completed the run from 44-72. I say "kind of" because of my second print 52 and I only have the True Believers of 62 and 65. My original intent was to collect up to 67 but I went to 72 because the collector I obtained several books from had 68 to 72 and how could I pass up the opportunity to get a 72?

34 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

Since I posted the above several weeks ago, I kind of completed the run from 44-72. I say "kind of" because of my second print 52 and I only have the True Believers of 62 and 65. My original intent was to collect up to 67 but I went to 72 because the collector I obtained several books from had 68 to 72 and how could I pass up the opportunity to get a 72?

you're telling me kj is letting you stop at 72?   he's gettin' awfully soft.

11 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

I once had a 52 that was missing the center wrap. It does affect the story.

Now it's got even weirder because the story is unaffected. I checked all the story pages and it goes from 1-20. Now if it's not a wrap that's missing the two 'missing' pages have been cut extremely cleanly and right down to the bone or FF52 was manufactured with only 8 wraps? 

8 wraps plus a cover, so 9. 

I'll bet you're missing the 3rd wrap. Look at the page numbered 4. It says "continued after next page". Does your copy have an ad page after, or does it go right to page 5? That corresponds to another ad page just before the letter column in back.

11 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

8 wraps plus a cover, so 9. 

I'll bet you're missing the 3rd wrap. Look at the page numbered 4. It says "continued after next page". Does your copy have an ad page after, or does it go right to page 5? That corresponds to another ad page just before the letter column in back.

You've solved the case my dear Holmes. That's indeed what's happened. It's the cleanest removal of a wrap (or two pages) that I've seen. Normally there's some telling evidence left behind like a couple snips of paper but there's nothing.

Just sent in 22 26 55 and 72. I’ll keep the thread posted and give pics when I get them. Even at economy settings it’s still over 100 a book to press and grade. That’s a lot of scratch!  Plus over 3 month turn around!!!  I have posted pics of the raw books here before. Should all be in the 6 to 8 range. Maybe I get lucky who knows?

Ok sooo...

Straw Man certainly has one of the if not the finest collection of early FF in the world. What is your secret?  Time and money?  It looks like you have done a lot of grooming and cherry picking to reach this stage. All of your books are Uber!  Any advice?  To me an 8.0 collection is hard enough but your bar is much higher. It’s breathtaking!  What do you collect?  Is it more than FF?  Did you go beyond issue 100?  Do you have any duplicates you can dump on us luddites?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Lastly, post a pic of your number 1 so I can go clean my shorts!  Thanks!

16 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Ok sooo...

Straw Man certainly has one of the if not the finest collection of early FF in the world. What is your secret?  Time and money?  It looks like you have done a lot of grooming and cherry picking to reach this stage. All of your books are Uber!  Any advice?  To me an 8.0 collection is hard enough but your bar is much higher. It’s breathtaking!  What do you collect?  Is it more than FF?  Did you go beyond issue 100?  Do you have any duplicates you can dump on us luddites?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Lastly, post a pic of your number 1 so I can go clean my shorts!  Thanks!

thanks, but not in the top-50 i bet.  patience and lots of dollar-juggling are key.  and some luck helps.  

Edited by Straw-Man

Our Man of Straw certainly has the goods. I know for a fact that his FF run extends to 102, then adds 108 and annuals 1-6; all the Kirby issues. 
I know this because I pestered him to do it!

Also because he has posted them all. Just go back about 10 or 20 pages in this thread and they’re right there for your viewing pleasure!

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Our Man of Straw certainly has the goods. I know for a fact that his FF run extends to 102, then adds 108 and annuals 1-6; all the Kirby issues. 
I know this because I pestered him to do it!

Also because he has posted them all. Just go back about 10 or 20 pages in this thread and they’re right there for your viewing pleasure!

Thanks for the info!  I will add those books to my list too. Straw Man is too humble haha. It really is a fantastic collection!  Top ten I’m sure!