• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,622 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jayhawker said:

It's Fantastic Four #371  first print, 2nd print is red . It's not worth much.

cool-- thanks for the quick feedback. I didn't think it was worth much-- just sort of fell into the trap of wanted to know which issue it was. Thanks again!

not to mention that many people have stated the grading right now is very tight.

Hard to ignore folks thinking this pandemic situation hasn't led to some sort of change in the grading.

To be fair-- I have never sent in a book to get it graded- so take my opinion for what it is worth based on that. Unless those two books are doing amazing things according to GPA -- which I sort of doubt-- plus in the face of what appears to be a buyers market- getting them graded seems an iffy proposition. What are you gaining and why? Just to get them slabbed? Personally prefer my raw copies. Good luck whatever you do.

Edited by 01TheDude

37 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

not to mention that many people have stated the grading right now is very tight.

Hard to ignore folks thinking this pandemic situation hasn't led to some sort of change in the grading.

To be fair-- I have never sent in a book to get it graded- so take my opinion for what it is worth based on that. Unless those two books are doing amazing things according to GPA -- which I sort of doubt-- plus in the face of what appears to be a buyers market- getting them graded seems an iffy proposition. What are you gaining and why? Just to get them slabbed? Personally prefer my raw copies. Good luck whatever you do.

It seems like the common theme... grading is too tight right now .  Its like the sirens song for 5 years now... Its expensive to send in with a press, like 100 per book.  But you know they aren't making any more.  60 year old newsprint.  Lets say I keep the books ten more years, any opinions? Strawman....

it is your money-- but you might consider why you are getting them graded. Properly handled, they will still be in the same shape in 10 years. And during that time-- you can still open them and enjoy them.

I feel some folks get caught up in the slabbing of books as a result of seeing them on the forum. Some folks think -- "well this is how people are supposed to collect comics". Not true. However you enjoy it is the right way-- even if that means spending lots of money on grading services.

My advice is the same though-- I would not get those graded.

16 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

it is your money-- but you might consider why you are getting them graded. Properly handled, they will still be in the same shape in 10 years. And during that time-- you can still open them and enjoy them.

I feel some folks get caught up in the slabbing of books as a result of seeing them on the forum. Some folks think -- "well this is how people are supposed to collect comics". Not true. However you enjoy it is the right way-- even if that means spending lots of money on grading services.

My advice is the same though-- I would not get those graded.

i agree.  But Tell me, do you own any slabbed books or would you buy one?

43 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

i agree.  But Tell me, do you own any slabbed books or would you buy one?

I've never bought a slabbed book. I have bid on them. I'd rather spend the money on plentiful raw mid-grade books. Hell even some 1.0-2.0 level will suffice on occasion. It works for me. 

I own two slabbed books-- both of which I received through some sort of contest on these boards. I have not cracked them open. I have purchased one reader copy for my DD #9 but have not had the chance to pick up the Avengers #142. I do have some books that might do well or better if slabbed. But I have no intention to sell them-- the only reason I might pursue that direction.

I'm not against grading books or anything like that-- it simply is not something I need to do. I am also not big on getting top grade condition copies either though I appreciate them when I can get em. My main point is that however you want to do it, it is the right way. Just because we have tons of people on here amassing giant slabbed collections-- that doesn't make them better than us. They just want what they want. The best I can do is to respect my collection and take good care of my books so whoever gets them eventually can also appreciate them.

Personally, I would rather have nonslabbed books for my PC. I just think they look TONS better in Mylar.

That said, The phrase "It's not worth it to get them slabbed" bothers me sometimes. Especially when it's not known how much has been spent on the comic itself. When I'm trying to decide if I should get a comic slabbed, I go by the formula ... A + B < C. (A = the cost of the comic , B = the cost of grading/pressing (if applicable) /shipping , C = FMV) So if A+B is less than C, it gets graded. If it's not, it doesn't. Simple. And I've never been one to say, "What about my time?"

Edited by Gaard

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Personally, I would rather have nonslabbed books for my PC. I just think they look TONS better in Mylar.

That said, The phrase "It's not worth it to get them slabbed" bothers me sometimes. Especially when it's not known how much has been spent on the comic itself. When I'm trying to decide if I should get a comic slabbed, I go by the formula ... A + B < C. (A = the cost of the comic , B = the cost of grading/pressing (if applicable) /shipping , C = FMV) So if A+B is less than C, it gets graded. If it's not, it doesn't. Simple. And I've never been one to say, "What about my time?"

I agree.  If you have any long-range plans for your collection, and you don't want to potentially leave your family with a monumental chore if you are suddenly called to the Great Local Comic Shop in the Sky, maximizing the value and marketability of your collection by getting the books graded is the responsible thing to do.  Plus if you're like me, and you have a target grade for your collection ... well, there's only one way to find out if you're there.