• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,677 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

went from 9.0 to 9.2.  

Ohhhh. Then kudos and good find!  I think I got that in better but who knows!  You have the best books straw man but I see some competition!  Do you have a stank copy of ff 5 for my ff13 Kirby sig?

1 hour ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Awesome!!! It may not work, but carving an eyebrow ridge from another pumpkin might give it a cool 3-d effect.

Thought about it, but this needed to be on display for weeks. Marker only.

15 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I hereby declare this copy to be decent.

No spine ticks just slightly rounded corners. Maybe a 9.2 or 9.4. Got to have sharp corners for better. I got 6 dr doom books coming back soon. Scheduled for grading now.  60 to press each plus another 60 to grade blah blah postage I’m into these for around 140 each. I don’t think I’ll get my money back unless some 9.6 or 9.8. Not likely but I wanted some dr doom slabs. Now I got them. Have a great Saturday!

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

We should do a top 10 ranking of Dr. Doom keys.  The top spot is obviously FF #5, but after that I imagine there could be some debate.

OK I'll start...I'm just doing Top 5...pretty steep drop-off for me after the 5.  39 (Wally Wood Masterpiece!), 5, 16, 6 (takes a hit as he shares cover with Subby), 23.  What can I say I like the older ones...I don't even know the ones after issue 100...

The remaining covers under 100...10, 17, 40, 57 (not a big fan), 58 (hate the washed out back color), 60, 84 (total rip-off of 39), 86 and 100 (kind of doesn't count as it is an amalgamation of a host of villains).

I’ll come to 57’s defense. 
I rank it top 5, not simply on the merit of it’s cover, but due to it’s importance. I consider the 57-60 arc as Dr. Doom’s finest hour. The Doomsday story lifts 58 and 60, too, but I vote to group all four. 
My top 5:

1. 5

2. 6

3. 57-60

4. 39-40

5. 23 (it is awesome!)

9601A943-CA2A-4EE0-A641-B2BDEF9118AF.thumb.jpeg.1bf964514a6fa0ce5091ff4ccbb0bc58.jpeg