• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,588 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RonS2112 said:

Sure thing......there's a local con in Annandale, VA in two weeks.  Specifically, an older gentleman named Gene (who gets mentioned here a lot) has a display in the back left of the hall.  But he isn't the only one.  Would also check out Moving Pictures' display.  Rob always gives me great deals.  Again, most of what these guys sell is unslabbed.

(thumbsu  Gene Carpenter has been coming to the monthly Philadelphia comic shows for upwards of 15 years.  He has terrific stock, but in all the time I was a regular at that show or at the Baltimore con I don't ever recall seeing him stocked with row after row of early near mint Silver Age comics from either Marvel or DC, or unslabbed major keys in high grade - his stuff from those publishers is typically just a wee bit lower in grade. He did carry a bunch of Dell file copies, and was a great source of them in near mint condition, along with the occasional cool early SA superhero book in really nice (but not near mint) shape.

For instance, I bought this unslabbed and accurately graded beauty from Gene:

TOS50cgc.thumb.jpg.844aaef90e4ddb8437887771be2302be.jpg

But it's not quite like this:

TOS50cgcA.thumb.jpg.96d0809a8ae690e545bf763834f40bf4.jpg

Edited by namisgr

Like I said, Gene is a topnotch dealer and he has terrific inventory.  But what he doesn't have is row after row of near mint unslabbed early Silver Age Marvels, Atlas, or DCs.  That was what was being lamented in the thread as being almost impossible to find these days.

Edited by namisgr

22 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Like I said, Gene is a topnotch dealer and he has terrific inventory.  But what he doesn't have is row after row of near mint unslabbed early Silver Age Marvels, Atlas, or DCs.  That was what was being lamented in the thread as being almost impossible to find these days.

What you said was "high grade, unpressed silver".  That's what's in those pictures, and he's but one of at least three dealers with that kind of inventory at my local con.

When you wrote " And this included rows and rows of beautiful unslabbed early keys, in some of the best grades I've ever seen", I assumed you were speaking of early keys in VF/NM and better condition.  

It sounds to me like we're in agreement, then, that near mint level unslabbed early silver is virtually impossible to find, but beautiful non-key raw books of slightly lesser grade like the cgc 8.5 I posted may still be obtainable.  And when was the last time you found an unrestored major SA key in VF/NM or better condition that wasn't slabbed?  

Edited by namisgr

25 minutes ago, namisgr said:

When you wrote " And this included rows and rows of beautiful unslabbed early keys, in some of the best grades I've ever seen", I assumed you were speaking of early keys in VF/NM and better condition.  

It sounds to me like we're in agreement, then, that near mint level unslabbed early silver is virtually impossible to find, but beautiful non-key raw books of slightly lesser grade like the cgc 8.5 I posted may still be obtainable.  And when was the last time you found an unrestored major SA key in VF/NM or better condition that wasn't slabbed?  

Yeesh.  You’re impossible.  Per my earlier post, last time was at my local con — two weeks ago.  Next time will be two weeks from now.

12 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Yeesh.  You’re impossible.  Per my earlier post, last time was at my local con — two weeks ago.  Next time will be two weeks from now.

Take some photos and post them, please.  We'd all enjoy seeing raw early SA keys in VF/NM or better grade.

Edited by namisgr

46 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Take some photos and post them, please.  We'd all enjoy seeing raw early SA keys in VF/NM or better grade.

So again, you originally said "high quality" and are now moving the goalposts.  But sure....insofar as Gene normally displays Atlas and early Marvels that look like they fell off the rack yesterday, I'll have a few photos after the next con.

44 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

So again, you originally said "high quality" 

High grade, never used the word 'quality'.  Gene has had plenty of nice early SA comics in his inventory over the years that he's brought to Philly and Baltimore, like the Northland pedigree copy of TOS50 i posted earlier, but never unslabbed near mint early silver age Marvels or DCs or high grade unrestored silver age keys.  I'd enjoy seeing photos of them if he's got them now.

Relating this discussion to the thread topic, here's another near mint early SA book I was able to buy unslabbed, but it was years before CGC opened their doors.

FF21ped.thumb.jpg.e79e123f42b2a816b9c86853b524f925.jpg  FF21NL.jpg.7c1eeff38d937f5412f910ba8886ce2a.jpg

Edited by namisgr

10 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

You have some real issues with reading comprehension apparently-- so defensive and unable to have any type of conversation apparently. There are plenty of ways to enjoy this hobby -- thanks for being so devoid of any appreciation for other peoples opinions.

You dont need to take things personally.  If you like reader copies thats fine.  You attacked a bunch of folks here because they have high grade books and seek them out.  Its like some kind of snobbery to you.  I was simply lamenting the fact that none of my older books have gone above 9.2.  Its not really surprising for second hand books bought from a shop.  I also dont like the cost of slabbing and pressing.  These cost me 138 bucks per book including postage for STANDARD.  Seems steep.  Moderns dont need pressing and cost 20 bucks to slab... not so with my books.  Slabbing is horrible for the seller unless you get a home run but its always great for the buyer.  Chill out Dude.

The first appearance of the Negative Zone.  Do they mention that on a CGC label?  I never checked.  I can't believe I forgot about the guy who mind controlled Ben for that John Byrne poster challenge that KirbyJack posted.  This cover is so classic, everyone knows it.

Fantastic Four #051.jpg

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

The first appearance of the Negative Zone.  Do they mention that on a CGC label?  I never checked.

I just checked and the label simply says "2nd appearance of Wyatt Wingfoot."

Does CGC ever put first appearances of (fictional) places on the label?  Wakanda, the Savage Land, Asgard?  Or, going over to DC and the Golden Age for some fictional places that have become household names in pop culture, what about the first appearance (or mention) of Metropolis, Gotham City, or Krypton?

I bet you the Fortress of Solitude and the Batcave get mentioned on a label

6 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I just checked and the label simply says "2nd appearance of Wyatt Wingfoot."

Does CGC ever put first appearances of (fictional) places on the label?  Wakanda, the Savage Land, Asgard?  Or, going over to DC and the Golden Age for some fictional places that have become household names in pop culture, what about the first appearance (or mention) of Metropolis, Gotham City, or Krypton?