• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2020 at 5:40 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Does CGC ever put first appearances of (fictional) places on the label?  Wakanda, the Savage Land, Asgard?  Or, going over to DC and the Golden Age for some fictional places that have become household names in pop culture, what about the first appearance (or mention) of Metropolis, Gotham City, or Krypton?

Action Comics 242 mentions the "1st appearance of the Bottled City of Kandor", as one example.

12 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Im not sure you will be able to recover the slabbing and pressing fees with these grades.  Unless you didn't slab them.  im in the same boat...

I bought these books many years ago when I was back in Australia and sent them in thru my local comic dealer to CGC. Back then pressing wasn't a big thing to do so they haven't been pressed.

And I still remember what I paid for them.

FF 4 $500 including grading 

Screenshot_20201031-091405.thumb.png.14e4e08b9869cc7e3c936e7c3b838997.png

FF 6 $125 

Screenshot_20201031-091439.thumb.png.d3d8dc34bf5294decb637c4112999b63.png

FF 9 $105

Screenshot_20201031-091503.thumb.png.87f7cc7fe378f7f931b25de0d377c363.png

FF 14 $175

Screenshot_20201031-091533.thumb.png.06296e846654a7ca9c1416a7ea559aee.png

Atm at market value I'm still ahead. I only got the Sub-mariner issues graded and they were the ones I kept and I have no intention of selling them anytime soon. 👍

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

Im not sure you will be able to recover the slabbing and pressing fees with these grades.  Unless you didn't slab them.  im in the same boat...

I'm sorry, but respectfully, this is straight-up disinformation.  GPA on FF #14 in 6.0 is $375.  Depending on what someone bought the book for raw (couldn't have been too much), and as long as that person chose wisely among the CGC grading options, they are a mortal lock to make at least some profit.

Does anyone else think that Sue looks like a space alien on this cover?  I had my first six issues graded, but then stopped at this one.  It’s not in great shape and the cover isn’t Kirby’s best in my opinion.  Still, part of me thinks it would be cool to have graded copies of the first ten issues.

Fantastic Four #007.jpg

13 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Does anyone else think that Sue looks like a space alien on this cover?  I had my first six issues graded, but then stopped at this one.  It’s not in great shape and the cover isn’t Kirby’s best in my opinion.  Still, part of me thinks it would be cool to have graded copies of the first ten issues.

Fantastic Four #007.jpg

I agree that this is not one of Kirby's best covers.  I referenced this book in a recent post (I forget which thread) in which I said women's faces were perhaps the weakest part of Kirby's game.  In fairness though, by the time he was done on FF, his depiction of Sue had improved quite a bit.  (Crystal spent much more time on the FF covers for a long stretch, but I think she looks pretty enough on the covers of #70, #87-89, and #97.)

On 11/1/2020 at 7:37 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I believe that this is one of the few, or perhaps only, cover(s) where Jack Kirby did pencils and inks. I checked with the Grand Comics Database, and Jack Kirby did provide pencils and inks for this cover. Could that have contributed to this issue?

That and the fact that on this cover Reed Richards looks more like a Kirby self-portrait.