• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

Don’t get me wrong.  I think Kirby has drawn some very sexy women over the years.  There’s a lot of crime comics he did in the 50’s with cigarette smoking, gun-toting, bad girls that are awesome.  I wouldn’t mind buying copies one of these days.

ABC61CD3-3A53-45EF-A0FC-9BE72E662DFB.jpeg

5C5F8BA4-1CF9-4A7E-95AA-524AAF42F495.jpeg

D8F245CE-50C1-4E95-A3E2-3F7A7DAB5B4C.jpeg

9EA32EF0-3A97-4CDC-9C12-3598DD53B17B.jpeg

7D43425A-76CD-40B4-83FC-F1594134C550.jpeg

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

On 10/31/2020 at 11:08 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm sorry, but respectfully, this is straight-up disinformation.  GPA on FF #14 in 6.0 is $375.  Depending on what someone bought the book for raw (couldn't have been too much), and as long as that person chose wisely among the CGC grading options, they are a mortal lock to make at least some profit.

How do you choose wisely among grading options?  Wait 7 months for your book?  Dont use CCS?  Tell me exactly how to save money on this.  I will pay 375  for this book right now if it has been pressed by CCS

Well, if it's value you're looking to get from a submission, then the Value Tier is the best way to go.  Plus, my books always enjoyed spending 5-6 months in Sarasota on vacation.

Edited by namisgr

5 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

How do you choose wisely among grading options?  Wait 7 months for your book?  Dont use CCS?  Tell me exactly how to save money on this.  I will pay 375  for this book right now if it has been pressed by CCS

The short answer is, yes I generally choose the cheapest available option and wait patiently.  It sucks, but for me at least it beats paying the premium for a faster turnaround.

Also there's an art to deciding whether or not to press, and even whether to grade at all -- and frankly I'm not even saying I'm good at it.  When I submitted my collection of over 1,500 books a couple of years ago, I got help from Bob Storms who went through all the books and helped me decide what to do with each.  He was far more conservative than I would have been (in other words, he recommended leaving more books raw and recommended pressing only on a small handful).

I recently decided to grade a bunch more X-Men books (1980s era) and I was both more aggressive (grading and pressing way more books) and more lazy (gave each book a quick look-over in the bag and board instead of opening each one up for close inspection).  Those books have not come back yet -- the wait times are obscene -- so I don't yet know how I'll do.  It's inevitable that I will lose money on some of these books, but hopefully only a few as I did only pay a couple of bucks each for them originally.  My hope is that slabbing the books will make them easier to sell off, and that in the aggregate I will do OK.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

9 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The short answer is, yes I generally choose the cheapest available option and wait patiently.  It sucks, but for me at least it beats paying the premium for a faster turnaround.

Also there's an art to deciding whether or not to press, and even whether to grade at all -- and frankly I'm not even saying I'm good at it.  When I submitted my collection of over 1,500 books a couple of years ago, I got help from Bob Storms who went through all the books and helped me decide what to do with each.  He was far more conservative than I would have been (in other words, he recommended leaving more books raw and recommended pressing only on a small handful).

I recently decided to grade a bunch more X-Men books (1980s era) and I was both more aggressive (grading and pressing way more books) and more lazy (gave each book a quick look-over in the bag and board instead of opening each one up for close inspection).  Those books have not come back yet -- the wait times are obscene -- so I don't yet know how I'll do.  It's inevitable that I will lose money on some of these books, but hopefully only a few as I did only pay a couple of bucks each for them originally.  My hope is that slabbing the books will make them easier to sell off, and that in the aggregate I will do OK.

Glad I learned how to press (properly) 5 years ago, I got tired of the long CCS/CGC wait times and high prices.