• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,617 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

and of course the classic off to college cover...

ff50.jpg

“AT LAST!”
Well, it was what we were all waiting for, especially after the last few boring, nothing happening issues.

Edited by JohnH19

25 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

“AT LAST!”
Well, it was what we were all waiting for, especially after the last few boring, nothing happening issues.

5 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

and of course the classic off to college cover...

Hahahhhaaahaa!  I forgot.  Did Johnny ever attend a class?  How many issues was he a student?  Maybe 4?

On 12/2/2020 at 11:00 AM, KirbyJack said:

I AM! I'm just saying that it's an average copy; lots are worse, lots are better.

I have a friend that was looking to buy an FF #2 at the San Diego Convention one year.

He'd narrowed it down to about 3 copies that he liked.
One book was an outstanding bargain for the price and grade. It's biggest flaw, however... someone had drawn/scribbled a moderately large swastika over the backside of the Skrull on the top left of the book. It took a minute to notice the drawing over that gray Skrull, but once you noticed what it was, you couldn't UNsee it!
This was a VF-minus range book, priced in the VG range.
The other books were priced in line with their respective grades.

It's kind of funny to think about that FF #2, and as collectors - what we like & don't like as flaws OR what we will put up with as a flaw when presented with a good price.

My friend went with a non-swastika copy. But he thought about it a lot longer than I thought he would!

14 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I have a friend that was looking to buy an FF #2 at the San Diego Convention one year.

He'd narrowed it down to about 3 copies that he liked.
One book was an outstanding bargain for the price and grade. It's biggest flaw, however... someone had drawn/scribbled a moderately large swastika over the backside of the Skrull on the top left of the book. It took a minute to notice the drawing over that gray Skrull, but once you noticed what it was, you couldn't UNsee it!
This was a VF-minus range book, priced in the VG range.
The other books were priced in line with their respective grades.

It's kind of funny to think about that FF #2, and as collectors - what we like & don't like as flaws OR what we will put up with as a flaw when presented with a good price.

My friend went with a non-swastika copy. But he thought about it a lot longer than I thought he would!

If it was a bargain based on that-- I might have pulled the trigger and then altered the swastika into a different shape by adding a line or two or four. Or if I were the dealer-- same thing (and raise the price to boot).  how to alter a swastika into a less ugly symbol

40 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Funny!

Here's my new #1 I picked up this fall (5.0 wp, with a real Stan sig even if no one from CGC was around in 1975 to verify it.) 

As some of you may remember, I sold my 6.5 wp copy on Comiclink earlier this year, and used the profit to buy this guy instead!  Win-win!  :headbang:

Dan

FF 1 5.0.jpg

Great book.  Happy that you were able to obtain another.  Love the old school ballpoint pen sigs... lets the art show through much better.. imho