• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’ve never been to into pedigrees either, but I’ve never had the opportunity to examine ped. copies vs. non-peds. 
I think it’s very possible that they could win me over.

I bet they might.

image.png.c8b6a6a6b5420db4c0734f4fbc1f0120.png

image.thumb.png.daf238d7fdf3fefc96e9f2807faaa216.png

Edited by namisgr

Although not always the case, I think most that haven't collected pedigrees are unaware of what makes them special.  Believe it or not, 9.6 white is not always equal to 9.6 white.  There are many non-structural qualities and general eye appeal that most (but not all) pedigree copies have over ordinary ones.  Occasionally the opposite is true but generally speaking, I'd rather have the Twin Cities copy of Brave and Bold 61 than a non-pedigree copy with the same assigned grade because I know the Twin Cities copy will have blinding white pages and a glossy vibrant cover.  And that preference would generate some sort of premium, depending on the book and the pedigree.  2c

18 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Although not always the case, I think most that haven't collected pedigrees are unaware of what makes them special.  Believe it or not, 9.6 white is not always equal to 9.6 white.  There are many non-structural qualities and general eye appeal that most (but not all) pedigree copies have over ordinary ones.  Occasionally the opposite is true but generally speaking, I'd rather have the Twin Cities copy of Brave and Bold 61 than a non-pedigree copy with the same assigned grade because I know the Twin Cities copy will have blinding white pages and a glossy vibrant cover.  And that preference would generate some sort of premium, depending on the book and the pedigree.  2c

Just another extension of buy the book, not the grade

absolutely depends on the ped.   for example, savannah copies don't have good p.q. and are often "dry" looking.   not only do i not pay a premium, i skip over any savannah with c/ow, which is most, so that one in effect has an anti-premium.

Edited by Straw-Man

21 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I suspect then, that slabs are preventing me from fully appreciating pedigree copies.

@KirbyJack, didn't you mention to me that, when I purchased a trivial Mile High book, that I had the smell of the book to look forward to as well as the stunning white pages? If I had purchased the book in a slab, I would have never had that experience.

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

absolutely depends on the ped.   for example, savannah copies don't have good p.q. and are often "dry" looking.   not only do i now pay a premium, i skip over any savannah with c/ow, which is most, so that one in effect has an anti-premium.

I also noticed this when checking out raw books from the Savannah pedigree, and it was a bit of a turnoff...do they carry a premium when they come to auction?

I don't buy pedigree books unless I happen to find one at roughly the same price as a non-pedigree copy, so I don't track their activity in auctions.

I'm just curious as to how the Savannah pedigree tracks compared to other pedigrees...

1 hour ago, silverseeker said:

I also noticed this when checking out raw books from the Savannah pedigree, and it was a bit of a turnoff...do they carry a premium when they come to auction?

I don't buy pedigree books unless I happen to find one at roughly the same price as a non-pedigree copy, so I don't track their activity in auctions.

I'm just curious as to how the Savannah pedigree tracks compared to other pedigrees...

I am not a pedigree expert but I know enough to know that when you hear Savannah you should expect poor page quality.

1 hour ago, silverseeker said:

I concur with @Straw-Man man 100% on Savannah books.

Just now, namisgr said:

Ah, but some of the early DCs, which are typically tough to find in decent shape and with decent paper, were very nice.

Never had the privilege of seeing or owning any of those.  All the ones I saw were from the mid-60s to mid-70s.  Only one (Teen Titans 14) had nice page quality from CGC but was rather ordinary when cracked out.  Actually, I wish I still had that book...

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

@KirbyJack, didn't you mention to me that, when I purchased a trivial Mile High book, that I had the smell of the book to look forward to as well as the stunning white pages? If I had purchased the book in a slab, I would have never had that experience.

I did say that.

Was it awesome?

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I did say that.

Was it awesome?

It certainly was. As you mentioned, I would like to see one of these super high-grade pedigree books in hand. It's one thing to see a picture of it; it's a completely different experience to hold it in your hands.