• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,656 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You're making up numbers here, and it's interesting you chose a 10% gap for this example but a 200% gap for your other example.

At the end of the day, each of us assigns a subjective value to any purchase or investment.  I completely agree that if you don't personally assign the same value to that hypothetical 9.8 as the market does, it's probably a good idea not to put your money into it.

@Sweet Lou 14, can we just agree to disagree? If you want to buy a 9.8, that's your choice. If I want to buy a 9.6 because it costs 1/3 of a 9.8, that's my choice.

If you want me to be honest, I'm not really sure how much money we leave to our heirs is anyone's concern, other than mine and my wife's.

I tried to explain my reasoning, and my explanation was obviously not good enough. I've gotten into too many of these arguing threads lately, and I just don't want to do it anymore. I'm equally at fault for the arguing, and, in the future, I am going to have to show more self-discipline to avoid these type of threads.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

@Sweet Lou 14, can we just agree to disagree? If you want to buy a 9.8, that's your choice. If I want to buy a 9.6 because it costs 1/3 of a 9.8, that's my choice.

If you want me to be honest, I'm not really sure how much money we leave to our heirs is anyone's concern, other than mine and my wife's.

I tried to explain my reasoning, and my explanation was obviously not good enough. I've gotten into too many of these arguing threads lately, and I just don't want to do it anymore. I'm equally at fault for the arguing, and, in the future, I am going to have to show more self-discipline to avoid these type of threads.

I honestly didn't think we were disagreeing, so much as I was just trying to understand your thinking.  We're actually saying a lot of the same things.

And for the record, at no point was I asking or implying anything about your particular family dynamics or decisions.  Any reference to "you" in a phrase like "your heirs" was intended to be interpreted as "one's heirs."  Apologies that I was not clearer.

There are lots of valid reasons not to spend / invest any more money than you want to (one wants to).  The comics we buy can be viewed as pure investments, or purely sentimental purchases, or anywhere on the spectrum in between.  That $60K book you referenced above is going to be well outside most people's budget.  But whatever your budget, there will be something beyond what you can (or are willing to) spend.  For all I know, the Empire State Building might be for sale, and might be considered an amazing investment opportunity.  But I sure as hell can't afford it.

No hard feelings here, carry on.  :foryou:

6 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Those who only care about the cover often rely on scans, forgetting that CGC also evaluated the rest of the book, too (that mysterious stuff between the covers).  There might have been a small tear or stray mark on an intereior page, etc.  Too often, the "buy the book not the grade" mantra translates into "buy the cover, not the book"!   

So, all things appearing equal from scans alone, even through well-rested eyes, there is good reason to pay extra for 9.8s.  CGC had more intimate knowledge of both books while grading them, and presumably much more experience differentiating between a 9.8 and 9.6.    

The only point that can be added here, in relation to these two examples, is that point of grading for each book is over a decade between each of them.   

CGC is like any environment, with continued learning, different graders, changes in personnel, market conditions, heck...even new glasses for some (myself included :cool:).   It all creates variables from one passage of time to the next.    

It'd be interesting to see early SA issues graded at the same time for those .2 grade differences.   Not for the point of second guessing the process, but illustrating the differences that create the increments.   This something that is rarely seen, and properly understood.   Particularly in the SA, with 40-50 year old books.  

Grading modern books at CGC has to be the easy gig in comparison ;)

12 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

nicely done, karl.

Hmmm. You told me not to send that ff50 in. I was hoping for a 7.0. It came out ok no surprises. Basically it’s a good book but was read with fat thumbs!  Now I have a problem...  I need a copy of 48! I must finish the trilogy!  Saving up now...

7 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Interesting that they did another all-red cover just three issues later.

Sadly this issue begins my one year of subscription copies across all the marvel titles.  CGC should start notating “Marvel Subscription Copy Variant” on their labels. My copy would be worth at least a million. 

89D22354-2C50-400D-8875-4C055E82C4BD.jpeg

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Sadly this issue begins my one year of subscription copies across all the marvel titles.  CGC should start notating “Marvel Subscription Copy Variant” on their labels. My copy would be worth at least a million. 

89D22354-2C50-400D-8875-4C055E82C4BD.jpeg

My copy of #28 has a subscription crease too.  It lies pretty flat, but I want it pressed anyway.

9BDE2881-A4D5-43E5-9CDE-F4E990A70994.jpeg