• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,677 posts in this topic

So, I have a question. When did The World's Greatest Comic Magazine really start living up to its name? Was it right from the jump with #1? Was it issue #35, when the continuing stories began? Most say it was #44, when Sinnott started inking that first Inhumans story arc. Some other one? I heard someone say #5 once.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

So, I have a question. When did The World's Greatest Comic Magazine really start living up to its name? Was it right from the jump with #1? Was it issue #35, when the continuing stories began? Most say it was #44, when Sinnott started inking that first Inhumans story arc. Some other one? I heard someone say #5 once.

Any thoughts?

i object to the form of the question.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Any thoughts?

I think it was right out of the gate. 

Those early stories were pretty campy.  It was a cross between the science fiction stories of Atlas and the play it safe super heros DC was rolling out.  

But right out of the gate, the characters were more relatable than prior super heros and the stories focused more on their personal lives and dramas. That was important.  

Also Kirby's covers were so great!!! FF1 is right there with Hulk 1 for my favorite cover of the SA. I would also argue it was Kirby's depiction of Doctor Doom that gave us the greatest villain in Marvel history. Doom's first story was AWFUL.  But Kirby made him so fearsome and compelling Marvel knew they had something to build on. 

As the series progressed the stories got less and less campy and even in some of their earlier issues they were really coming around.  Between issues like 35 and into at least issues in the 60s they were at their best. Those are the stories that made me a comic book fan.