• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

kirby uses grey backgrounds to highlight colors in the foreground in this timeless masterpiece thumbsup2.gif

FF12.jpg[/img]

What makes you think Kirby did the coloring? I don't think he did. confused-smiley-013.gif BTW....I happen to be a big fan of those steely grey backgrounds......here's one I like......from later in the run.....

ff56big.jpg

I love FF # 56 what a Classic book , Kirby kicks @#$ in the inside , plus the cover.

FF # 12 great book also . Hey I'm biased , I own FF # 1 to # # 101 the whole Lee & Kirby run. My fave books of all time . There about Family!! Nuff said!! cloud9.gif

BTW.... gossip.gif You can't have a nice copy of issue #40 without getting one of issue #39. They go together. wink.gif
I've been trying to find a nice #39 for a while now,the only ones I'm seeing are 7.5 and below.....I need an 8.5 or 9.0,it's all about the grade flow with me screwy.gif.Problem is,I paint myself into a corner waiting for an 8.5 or 9.0 to show up.If anyone has an 8.5 or 9.0 for sale,pm me please.... hail.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Good Luck. 39 is one of my fave issues and the first FF I ever personally laid eyes on in 1965.
The year I was born...........and a great year for comics........ cloud9.gif........My ASM #26 is dated 4/13 on the cover,4 days after I was born,love that book... 893applaud-thumb.gif I think FF#40 came out on my birthday too,no wonder I'm a Marvel zombie.... insane.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I've never heard much info about that. I thought a bunch of little old ladies did the coloring for Marvel.

Educate me someone! confused-smiley-013.gif

The "little old ladies" rings a bell in my mind.

The "Marvel" Kirby had little interest in inking. He would say that inking his pencils helped keep other artists in work.

He also was not fond of going back to an issue after he had finished penciling it to create a cover.

I don't remember exactly where I first read these two observations, but it would have been in Ro's "Tales to Astonish" or in Raphael & Spurgeon's "Stan Lee..." or in the "Jack Kirby Collector"... (might even be Evanier).

Given these approaches to his work, I would be surprised if Kirby paid much attention to the colouring. If I am wrong, I, too, would be interested in reading the reference source.

Dennis

Time to bust in with some *ahem* lower quality gems. I just cannot compete with, well, anyone in this thread. But here are some scans of the only silver age comic that I own more than one copy of:

ff58bfrontbd2.jpg

ff58afrontvt6.jpg

If only I could combine the best qualities of both copies into one, slightly better looking copy. Ah, well.