• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

Here's a unique FFitem, a production stat page from 1961. Since nobody knows where the actual original art went from that issue, this is the next best thing. A first generation stat used in the production. A few of these pages turned some years ago, I was told, in the possession of a former Marvel staffer, along with other material that would not have been easy to fake (and some that would not have been worth the trouble). I have compared them to other production art from the period, and am convinced they are the real thing.

FantasticFour1page20productionstat1.jpg

WOW never seen this page before , thumbsup2.gif , which title/issue is it from ?

gossip.gif That's from FF1....

Cool piece! Do you think it's actually from 1961, or do you think it is a stat that might have been used to do one of the many reprints of FF1 at some point since the original art may not have been available?

Here's a unique FFitem, a production stat page from 1961. Since nobody knows where the actual original art went from that issue, this is the next best thing. A first generation stat used in the production. A few of these pages turned some years ago, I was told, in the possession of a former Marvel staffer, along with other material that would not have been easy to fake (and some that would not have been worth the trouble). I have compared them to other production art from the period, and am convinced they are the real thing.

FantasticFour1page20productionstat1.jpg

WOW never seen this page before , thumbsup2.gif , which title/issue is it from ?

gossip.gif That's from FF1....

Cool piece! Do you think it's actually from 1961, or do you think it is a stat that might have been used to do one of the many reprints of FF1 at some point since the original art may not have been available?

of course you can never know for sure unless you were there but what I understand is that this piece came from a collection of 1960s Marvel production art once owned by Marvel staffer. Since the only part of FF1 reprinted by marvel in the 1960s was the origin story, it would indicate this was used in 1961.

Marvel stats were apparently used to reprint the golden record reprint, as well as the Lancer books in 1966, but those were altered during the process (cut up as in the case of the Lancer books), and I would expect any copies of those to be in the hands of golden records or lancer instead of Marvel.

Aside from the above, I have also checked some of the marvel reprints from the 70s onward and found that alterations were made to the pages -- to darken lines which were apparently considered too light in the original. That was not done here.

Marvl and other publishers made a number of copies of pages for inner office use, including publishing, approval, etc. But this and the other accompanying pages I've seen were pasted up on larger boards -- much like other marvel production art I've seen from the period. All of which leads me to believe these were not only made directly from the original art in 1961 but most likely used in printing the original book as well.

Of course, as mentioned above, no matter what an original owner says or how reliable you think they may be, you can never swear on a stack of bibles as to how something was used unless you were actually there. They could have lied and gone to an awful lot of trouble to fake it, along with the other pieces they had. But the money they got for it wouldn't have been worth the trouble and would have been far better spent in some other way. So it measures up about as well as anything like it reasonably can.

Edited by bluechip

What a cool thread!!!!! I LOVE the FF!!! It's my primary SA focus right now...When I get a few more issues (& a scanner...heh) I will post some of my beauties...

Why isn't it?

A very, very small handful of books were restored by Calvin Slobodian decades ago, and another very, very small handful may have been purchased second-hand, rather than directly off the newstand.

From Doug Schmell (www.pedigreecomics.com):

However, and perhaps most unfortunately, two known Silver Age collections that appear to have the characteristics of these more well known pedigrees have not been afforded this loftier status by the experts at CGC. Both the Slobodian collection (from the private collection of Calvin Slobodian from Calgary, Canada) and the lesser known Edenwald collection (from dealer/collector Conrad Eschenberg of Cold Spring, New York) are both high grade collections, purchased by a single owner, in which the books share a common look, feel and smell.

What separates these two collections from the more nationally recognized and CGC certified ones mentioned above is the lack of sales records and data needed to track the dissemination of the individual issues once brought to the public and sold. Another factor, solely in the case of Mr. Slobodian, was the existence of some restored comics among those he had purportedly purchased off of the newsstand, causing a lack of certainty as to which books were actually bought by this original owner.

Hi all, for those interested in the FF 15 CGC 8.5 White listed on eBay, take note that this one was a great looking 7.5 that was pressed into an 8.5. Here's the before and after scans :

FF-15-7.jpg

FF-15-8.jpg

I have nothing against pressing, but I prefer proper disclosing...

Hi all, for those interested in the FF 15 CGC 8.5 White listed on eBay, take note that this one was a great looking 7.5 that was pressed into an 8.5. Here's the before and after scans :

FF-15-7.jpg

FF-15-8.jpg

Thanks for that info! thumbsup2.gif

FF-15-7.jpg

FF-15-8.jpg

Thanks for that info! thumbsup2.gif

Such a shame & a waste of a perfectly good 7.5 foreheadslap.gif

FF-15-7.jpg

FF-15-8.jpg

what a shock to see who had it listed.

FF-15-7.jpg

FF-15-8.jpg

Wow, I've got some ironing to do.

FF-15-7.jpg

FF-15-8.jpg

Wow, I've got some ironing to do.

And paying board members for books, and selling books you placed For Sale.....and getting banned from the forum, and getting a job, and......everyone chime in....