• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

From the coloring it’s not a reprint.

The JC Penney reprints, besides being on modern paper stock, have a faithfully rendered color scheme, but they are computer colored, easy to spot. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. The seller was so confident it was a reprint that I started to 2nd guess myself! lol

Aside from the screen of the printing (size of the dots) the computer colored versions, although faithfully following the color scheme are much more homogeneous and regular.

The JC Penney reprints, however, are super-easy to spot regardless: aside from the paper and the aging that is not there, they have a modern back cover ad. :)

Two copies on sale from MyComicshop, compare them: on the left, the original, on the right the JC Penney reprint.

Aside from Alicia's different skin tone, if you look at the color blends on the ground (both on the Thing's side and on Alicia's) you’ll see that the old coloring system was "warmer" (done by hand) and the printing has "gaps" in the color ramps, due to printing limitations of the technology. The new computer colored version has smooth gradients, which also do not follow precisely the curve of the original blends, and probably the screen dots are smaller as the quality is better, as ental pointed out. (thumbs u

All this is enough, without even looking at the super-white fresh paper.

They did a great job, anyway.

XbDhW34l.jpg sSEIxD7l.jpg

Two copies on sale from MyComicshop, compare them: on the left, the original, on the right the JC Penney reprint.

Aside from Alicia's different skin tone, if you look at the color blends on the ground (both on the Thing's side and on Alicia's) you’ll see that the old coloring system was "warmer" (done by hand) and the printing has "gaps" in the color ramps, due to printing limitations of the technology. The new computer colored version has smooth gradients, which also do not follow precisely the curve of the original blends, and probably the screen dots are smaller as the quality is better, as ental pointed out. (thumbs u

assuming the little spotlighted area by ben's feet in the reprint is always much smaller than the real thing, it's the biggest "tell" i see.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I know the interior splash page has a spot where it says 2nd printing. This is great to know just in case someone is buying online without back cover scans available.

gotta upgrade that 26 now…

_57-6.jpg

Beautiful ! (worship)

I LOVE IT. Great looking copy. 25-28 are all really cool books if you ask me. Kind of a primer for the meat and potatoes that runs from 36-76.

Beautiful copy. Congrats.