• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,668 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

LOVE the 36, sir!  well done, and what a pleasant surprise that had to have been.

I love the FF 12 and yes, I was very surprised with the grade. After MANY disappointing grades, this is way nicer.  :)

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, KirbyJack said:

FF 25 is a really satisfying book to own. I upgraded to a 7.0 OW from Bob Storms, and of my CGC copies, it's the slab I get out to look at most!

One of the books I really regret getting rid of.  I had a 7.5 years ago (also purchased form Bob Storms) that I traded for ASM39/40 set.

Get out your spears. While I love all first 100 issues of the FF, #25 and #26 were never at the top of my list. I was even a bit disappointed when I read them. The story is just fine, but George Roussos inks on those books really put me off, especially in #25. He’s not the best inker for Kirby. I find the earlier issues he did less bothersome; #25 just didn’t click for me.

On 2/23/2017 at 3:42 PM, Pontoon said:

Get out your spears. While I love all first 100 issues of the FF, #25 and #26 were never at the top of my list. I was even a bit disappointed when I read them. The story is just fine, but George Roussos inks on those books really put me off, especially in #25. He’s not the best inker for Kirby. I find the earlier issues he did less bothersome; #25 just didn’t click for me.

I'm a big fan of Thing/Hulk fights and I've loved FFs 25&26 since I first read them as a kid in the Fireside Superhero Battles book, but you're right on about Roussos's inks. Very crude in my opinion. Would have looked so much better if Sinnott was inking the book regularly by then.

14 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

I'm a big fan of Thing/Hulk fights and I've loved FFs 25&26 since I first read them as a kid in the Fireside Superhero Battles book, but you're right on about Roussos's inks. Very crude in my opinion. Would have looked so much better if Sinnott was inking the book regularly by then.

I am not sure why Roussos's inks looked a little rough.  I always prefer Ayer's when I can find them but I liked Inky's work on Batman.  Perhaps the shading by Kirby was more than Inky could deal with while on the clock.  Fine line work may be more suitable for Roussos's style.

:preach:

3 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I am not sure why Roussos's inks looked a little rough.  I always prefer Ayer's when I can find them but I liked Inky's work on Batman.  Perhaps the shading by Kirby was more than Inky could deal with while on the clock.  Fine line work may be more suitable for Roussos's style.

:preach:

I loved Roussos through #24 .......for some reason he became rushed for his last three efforts. I'm of the understanding that he took on a lot of the coloring and production duties around that time and probably was burning the candle at both ends.... which was common back then when the work was abundant..... it was a feast or famine profession back then. For some reason, Stan would try out an inker on a cover first, before they got the whole book.... so Chic Stone's first effort was the cover to 27. Roussos probably got his start on the cover of 18, although some attribute it to Reinman, whose inking style was similar to Roussos. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

For me, those back to back issues were all about the story.  From the first knock-down, drag-out confrontation between the two most powerful monstrous mortals in the Marvel universe to the first phenomenal face-off between the two most powerful superhero teams, these issues were everything that propelled Marvel to becoming kings of the Silver Age.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

For me, those back to back issues were all about the story.  From the first knock-down, drag-out confrontation between the two most powerful monstrous mortals in the Marvel universe to the first phenomenal face-off between the two most powerful superhero teams, these issues were everything that propelled Marvel to becoming kings of the Silver Age.

Agreed. Regardless to my opinion of Roussos's inks, FF25 & 26 were an event. In many ways, I see this story (and the threads that were picked up in Avengers) as the precursor to Marvel's later big events such as Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, etc.