• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,618 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

If the centering wasn't enough (tired of owning this book from the "arvel omics roup"), the white pages really had me scrambling for my wallet before I could come to my senses.

5aa17d46f2292_FF48.thumb.JPG.946bcfd0549e400337af893d99640673.JPG

Man, thats one of the nicest 48s I've seen.  Centering and white pages?  Beauty!  Congrats!

1 hour ago, SeniorSurfer said:

If the centering wasn't enough (tired of owning this book from the "arvel omics roup"), the white pages really had me scrambling for my wallet before I could come to my senses.

Great looking copy ! Congrats. BTW, I love your name SeniorSurfer !

1 hour ago, SeniorSurfer said:

Such a beautiful 9.0 copy!  Certainly puts my 9.0 to shame :cry:

Thanks to all for the nice comments!  Full disclosure:  It's a previous generation holder (you can see the paper label slightly lifting at the top) and has a Newton right at the "ac" of "Galactus" so I toyed with the idea of resubmitting, but I might get one of those overzealous grading types and... nah.

30 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

Thanks to all for the nice comments!  Full disclosure:  It's a previous generation holder (you can see the paper label slightly lifting at the top) and has a Newton right at the "ac" of "Galactus" so I toyed with the idea of resubmitting, but I might get one of those overzealous grading types and... nah.

Could not agree more.  

Great book, btw!  Looks almost identical to one I used to own, but foolishly sold a few years ago.  

6 hours ago, SeniorSurfer said:

You should be able to get rid of that Newton on your own, no need to reholder. The previous generation of slabs allowed you to easily open up the right/left edges a bit. Take a plain white envelope or something similar(thicker than a piece of paper) and slide it in through the right edge. Move it over the Newton and it will disappear, guaranteed to work!

14 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You should be able to get rid of that Newton on your own, no need to reholder. The previous generation of slabs allowed you to easily open up the right/left edges a bit. Take a plain white envelope or something similar(thicker than a piece of paper) and slide it in through the right edge. Move it over the Newton and it will disappear, guaranteed to work!

I once used a similar technique to extract a small white speck in the slab that was really bugging me.  I used a strip of backing board to maneuver the speck to the inside edge of the slab... but to remove it altogether, I needed to get creative; I finally put my lips on the edge of the slab and inhaled quickly and briskly.  Sucked that speck right out.  (Hopefully coughed it up later, too.) 

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The edge that opened slightly wasn't enough to allow an envelope but a sheet of paper folded in two (about the width of half the envelope) worked.  It helped that the ring was right in the center of the book, which allowed the case its widest opening.  I was able to lessen the size considerably and even "move" it to a less obvious spot.  Thanks for the tip!  (thumbsu

(I can see this is going to open up more time spent correcting other cases with similar problems)

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Everyone always references the older model of holder that had newton rings. I swear, the new one's I'm getting back now are even worse... I've just learned to live with it and, try, to look past the distortions...literally.

Yes, I am afraid you are correct.

3 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Just got this one from Comiclink a couple nights back!  Always loved this cover, and hard to find with perfect centering...

Thanks for looking!

Dan

FF 25 9.0.jpg

Great cover!  It really is one of the tougher ones to find with this type of centering.  Another white page beauty you've gotten there, congrats!