• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,674 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

FF travel to the Skrull home world for revenge...

FF0037.jpg

One of the fundamental distinctions that make the Fantastic Four unique; unlike all the others who simply react to a villain, the FF goes looking for trouble. I absolutely love it when Reed gets mad and starts $#!+.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:10 PM, KirbyJack said:

One of the fundamental distinctions that make the Fantastic Four unique; unlike all the others who simply react to a villain, the FF goes looking for trouble. I absolutely love it when Reed gets mad and starts $#!+.

Well, Thor (also drawn and plotted by Kirby) was going on quests all over the place too -- to the underworld, to outer space ...

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, Thor (also drawn and plotted by Kirby) was going on quests all over the place too -- to the underworld, to outer space ...

Good point! When the more earth bound stories with Jane Foster and a secret identity finally played out, Thor also did his share of instigating. 

hm Maybe it's not a coincidence that Thor is my #2 favorite!

4 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Good point! When the more earth bound stories with Jane Foster and a secret identity finally played out, Thor also did his share of instigating. 

FF and Thor were the primary means through which Kirby created the Marvel Universe.

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

i could cry.

Cap, Thor, and Spidey are my favorite characters, but from a story standpoint I would go with FF, Thor, and Spidey.

There is no touching the everyman appeal of Peter Parker -- the greatest character of all time in that regard.  But some part of me always enjoyed the hero-worship that goes along with reading about the Thunder God and the Super Soldier.

The FF is fascinating in that way because (if I'm going to be honest) Sue was given very little to do for years, and Johnny is really underdeveloped too.  It really comes down to Reed and Ben -- Ben is the character you fall in love with and Reed is the one you look up to.  But the very nature of the family dynamic is that Reed is always being taken down a peg -- this humanizes him, but only so much because he's still fundamentally aloof.  To me the FF almost function as a single entity, parts of a whole that are best understood and enjoyed as one unit.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Anyone know why there’s a D. Ayers drawn Thing on the cover? I’d love to see Kirby’s first version. I’m guessing that Benjamin was originally placed on the ground by Reed’s feet, and maybe  they used the white “flash” to cover it up?

11 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Anyone know why there’s a D. Ayers drawn Thing on the cover? I’d love to see Kirby’s first version. I’m guessing that Benjamin was originally placed on the ground by Reed’s feet, and maybe  they used the white “flash” to cover it up?

would never happen on a spidey cover.

9 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

would never happen on a spidey cover.

I had a snarky comeback, but I’m gonna swallow it. I know the whole Thor ranking thing cut you deeply.

Truth told, I don’t know of any obvious corrected ASM covers. Did Stan reject any? I mean, #30 got thru...

SM35.jpg.e78df1d7def5afb76b0cbacd68064a5e.jpg

On 4/11/2020 at 8:53 PM, KirbyJack said:

I had a snarky comeback, but I’m gonna swallow it. I know the whole Thor ranking thing cut you deeply.

Truth told, I don’t know of any obvious corrected ASM covers. Did Stan reject any? I mean, #30 got thru...

I believe that Stan asked Kirby to reposition Spider-Man on the cover of ASM #35. If you look at the cover credits, it says, "Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby cover". I'm almost 100% sure that I have seen the original art for ASM #35 by Steve Ditko alone.

Also, this is too obvious, but Stan asked for a redraw of AF #15. Ditko's cover was rejected (but was later used as a modern issue variant), and Jack Kirby and Ditko collaborated on the cover we know and love.

Update - I have attached the original concept for the cover of ASM #35. I have to be honest - I liked Kirby's cover better.

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

18 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

There’s got to be a story about ASM 10, too, now that I think on it.

You're absolutely correct. The following phrase is printed on the CGC label, "Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby cover."

I'm going to see if I can find images of these rejected covers to share.

Update - I have attached the original cover concepts for ASM #10 and ASM #12, another rejected Ditko cover.

spidey_10_alt.jpg

ASM11.jpg

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer