• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

And we’ve reached the end. Kirby’s (109  technically) run on Fantastic Four was unprecedented in its length and quality. Bought this one at that price! It was a lot, but it’s a very nice copy.
B142EF32-2EE2-4A98-92BA-FF6CBB1752F1.thumb.jpeg.e80852ce352d7c459bf3c04f1457de2e.jpeg

And finally, FF annual 6. My favorite comic book of all time. Thanks for indulging me.

A40DD185-5318-48B6-9801-AB80B5DE95CE.thumb.jpeg.1d6e8462dc986b9481c53ac6bc02ed22.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks!  Now I just need #32 (which seems to never come around) to finish the 9.4 run from #20-129.  If I can get my hands on a #18 and a #19 (both of which are also pretty scarce), I'll have completed the entire FF run, with #12-129 in 9.4.  It's been a really aggressive push, and I'm almost at the mountaintop ...

glorious accomplishment. 

If I could ask a question of the more knowledgable & experienced boardies here. Is it worthwhile buying, essentially coverless copies of early FF's (#2, 3, & 5) although they have nice repo covers attached correctly, are they are still only 0.5 or even a NG?

3 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

If I could ask a question of the more knowledgable & experienced boardies here. Is it worthwhile buying, essentially coverless copies of early FF's (#2, 3, & 5) although they have nice repo covers attached correctly, are they are still only 0.5 or even a NG?

My honest feedback is that you can get a ton of enjoyment out of a book like that, but only if you treat it as a reader and a conversation piece, not slab it.  If you slab it, the only part you can see is the repo cover that isn't even a part of the "real" book you bought.  But that is just my 2c ...

34 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’m not sure how CGC will grade them (never higher than 0.5), but I say if you want them, go for it. Great stuff to have.
I’d have bet against single pages ever being an investment, and look at them! 

I am 99% certain they would grade out as a 0.5. Looking at the FMV for a 0.5 FF #5 it seems to be in the $500 region which I find staggering. So I either bite the bullet and go for it (with no guarantee of winning, lol) or just resign myself to the fact I'll never own a copy. 

On the upside I did win a FF#52 which I never thought I'd own, I'll post pics when it arrives.

10 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I am dismayed to learn that eBay UK is as much a cesspool as it is here. 

ebaYUK!

It's normally not that bad and I don't think the seller deliberately set out to deceive, I just don't think he had a clue about grading. I'm currently educating him in that respect and also the difference in value between grades on such high value items. He also had a FF4 and FF48, 49 etc up for sale. The FF4 went for almost $1700! I hope that one was complete.

After a fairly torturous afternoon and many messaging and explaining the seller agreed to a hefty refund. Anyone who knows me on the boards will realise I don't mind low-grade books at all but if I'm going to bid on something I want to know, even roughly what the grade is going to be. The guy was a nice chap actually but his computer skills (he'd never had to process a return before) and especially his grading suck the big one. Strange for someone with such an impressive collection.

Here's the FF52. Weird thing about this is it's definitely missing a wrap but the story is unaffected and there's no obvious sign of what's gone. I'm thinking there must have been a double page advert at the centrefold? If there's anyone with a complete raw 52 could enlighten me? :foryou:

Scan_0001.thumb.jpg.a706ddaba1e290fa2e7e701278aa03c9.jpg

And the #12. The tape at both staples is the only thing keeping the cover together. Also it's signed by 'Stan Lee'. xD

Scan_0002.thumb.jpg.78c325e32ab445127cf709963c66ab2a.jpg