• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,617 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I seem to remember now that Ditko did a ton of “buffalo shot” covers, so yes. Stan did have him change a few.

Sorry to be dense, but what is a "buffalo shot" cover?  What I found in urban dictionary doesn't seem to have much to do with that rejected ASM #10 cover, unless I am really missing something.  :fear:

The story I heard was that Stan felt there had been too many covers where Spidey was getting his butt whupped … of the first 10 only number 8 shows a triumphant Spidey. GOD BLESS … GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, KirbyJack said:

I seem to remember now that Ditko did a ton of “buffalo shot” covers, so yes. Stan did have him change a few.

?

Guessing that's a euphemism or a metaphor, and that Steve didn't actually revel in the shooting of buffalos

3 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

Okay, I'll steer it back to Fantastic Four.

What's the canon explanation for the Thing's missing fourth toes on the cover of FF 12? Did the Impossible Man make them disappear temporarily?

Well, if The Impossible Man was responsible, then he somehow caught The Hulk in the same hex! There's a definite toe deficiency on that cover.

If your question was sincere, then the Official Marvel Position on the matter was probably "Whoops." I'm sure someone wrote in about it, and Stan most likely said something along the lines of "With all The King has to draw these days, we're lucky he remembered toes at all!"

On 4/15/2020 at 7:04 AM, jimjum12 said:

The story I heard was that Stan felt there had been too many covers where Spidey was getting his butt whupped … of the first 10 only number 8 shows a triumphant Spidey. GOD BLESS … GOD BLESS...

I would think that he would have wanted to see Spider-man in peril on every cover.  This way, a kid would want to buy the comic to find out how Spidey got out of the portrayed jam...

Edited by pemart1966

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:
On 4/15/2020 at 7:04 AM, jimjum12 said:

I would think that he would have wanted to see Spider-man in peril on every cover.  This way, a kid would want to buy the comic to find out how Spidey got out of the portrayed jam...

My memory isn't what it was, but I think I may have read this in the issue of Marvel tales(1980's edition) that reprinted #10 and the alternate cover in the back ? It's been a while. Stan went through the GA when Heroes were heroes, often portrayed as victorious on covers …. sales were MUCH better in those days as well. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12