Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
29 29

9,393 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, silverseeker said:

I also noticed this when checking out raw books from the Savannah pedigree, and it was a bit of a turnoff...do they carry a premium when they come to auction?

I don't buy pedigree books unless I happen to find one at roughly the same price as a non-pedigree copy, so I don't track their activity in auctions.

I'm just curious as to how the Savannah pedigree tracks compared to other pedigrees...

I am not a pedigree expert but I know enough to know that when you hear Savannah you should expect poor page quality.

1 hour ago, silverseeker said:

I also noticed this when checking out raw books from the Savannah pedigree, and it was a bit of a turnoff...do they carry a premium when they come to auction?

I don't buy pedigree books unless I happen to find one at roughly the same price as a non-pedigree copy, so I don't track their activity in auctions.

I'm just curious as to how the Savannah pedigree tracks compared to other pedigrees...

I concur with @Straw-Man man 100% on Savannah books.

Just now, namisgr said:

Ah, but some of the early DCs, which are typically tough to find in decent shape and with decent paper, were very nice.

Never had the privilege of seeing or owning any of those.  All the ones I saw were from the mid-60s to mid-70s.  Only one (Teen Titans 14) had nice page quality from CGC but was rather ordinary when cracked out.  Actually, I wish I still had that book...

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

@KirbyJack, didn't you mention to me that, when I purchased a trivial Mile High book, that I had the smell of the book to look forward to as well as the stunning white pages? If I had purchased the book in a slab, I would have never had that experience.

I did say that.

Was it awesome?

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I did say that.

Was it awesome?

It certainly was. As you mentioned, I would like to see one of these super high-grade pedigree books in hand. It's one thing to see a picture of it; it's a completely different experience to hold it in your hands.

Congratulations, Louie! 
Completing Fantastic Four in 1991 was, and still is, the biggest thrill I’ve experienced in the hobby.

Official FF Collecting Rules clearly state that you are entitled to cake today. 🎂 

Edited by KirbyJack
1 hour ago, Microchip said:

I just watched these two books go on the last clink sale and left my head scratching... which would you choose..

9.8  $3,200

9.6  $2,176

FF 77 CGc 9.8.jpg

FF 77 CGC 9.6.jpg

The 9.6 has better eye appeal without the distributer overspray. GOD BLESS...

- jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... I still have trouble even considering spending big money on a book I bought off the rack for 12 cents.

Edited by jimjum12
10 hours ago, Microchip said:

I just watched these two books go on the last clink sale and left my head scratching... which would you choose..

9.8  $3,200

9.6  $2,176

Not surprising.  There are 25 of 9.6 vs only 10 of 9.8 on CGC census.  That explains it?  Especially since they are both nice enough such that their relative scarcity should, or at least could, be dispositive.  This is a 1968 book!  It's always a treat to find SA books in 9.8.  

Edited by Pantodude
17 hours ago, Microchip said:

9.8  $3,200

9.6  $2,176

FF 77 CGc 9.8.jpg

FF 77 CGC 9.6.jpg

You guys are nuts, the 9.8 is obviously .2 better. 

Just look at the label!