• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
10 10

1,730 posts in this topic

Thanks!

Yeah, the #11 is sweet. Just a tinsy-weensy chip on the top edge of the back cover, otherwise...well, we'll see. I do love this book.

The #14 actually has some outstanding color and gloss as well, particulary on the blue field, but enough other minor issues to keep it shy of NM territory. Still a sweet book with a sharp interior.

And yes, I am looking for a #12 and #15 in similar condition. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm actually closing in on my goal of the first 100 issues in 9.0 or better...just nine more to go, although those remaining are the 'big' ones. crazy.gif

Most of them are slabbed, but those that are raw have been graded ruthlessly, probably harshly, to avoid any future disappointments if I was ever to sell.

Here's what the scores on the doors currently look like....

#7 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#10 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 OW

#11 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#12 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#13 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#14 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#15 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#16 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 W

#17 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 W

#18 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#19 NM- CGC graded 9.2 W

#20 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#22 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#23 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW From The Collection Of Joe And Nadia Mannarino

#24 NM+ CGC graded 9.6 OW Pacific Coast Collection

#25 VF/NM

#26 NM CGC graded 9.4 W Boston Collection

#27 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#28 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#29 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#30 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW-W

#31 VF/NM

#32 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#33 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW White Mountain Collection

#34 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#35 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#36 NM- CGC graded 9.2 W

#37 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#38 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#39 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 OW-W

#40 VF/NM

#41 VF/NM

#42 NM- CGC graded 9.2 W

#43 NM-

#44 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#45 NM CGC graded 9.4 W

#46 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#47 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW-W

#48 NM CGC graded 9.4 W

#49 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#50 NM+ CGC graded 9.6 OW-W

#51 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#52 NM- Northland Collection

#53 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#54 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#55 NM-

#56 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 OW

#57 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#58 NM CGC graded 9.4 W

#59 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 OW

#60 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW-W

#61 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#62 VF/NM Northland Collection

#63 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#64 NM-

#65 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#66 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#67 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW-W

#68 VF/NM

#69 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW Northland Collection

#70 NM- CGC graded 9.2 W

#71 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW-W

#72 NM+ CGC graded 9.6 W

#73 NM- CGC graded 9.2 W

#74 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#75 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#76 NM CGC graded 9.4 W Pacific Coast Collection

#77 NM-

#78 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW-W Pacific Coast Collection

#79 NM+ CGC graded 9.6 OW

#80 VF/NM

#81 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW Pacific Coast Collection

#82 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW-W Pacific Coast Collection

#83 NM-

#84 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 OW-W

#85 NM-

#86 NM-

#87 VF/NM

#88 VF/NM

#89 NM CGC graded 9.4 W

#90 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 OW

#91 NM+ CGC graded 9.6 OW-W

#92 NM CGC graded 9.4 W Pacific Coast Collection

#93 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

#94 VF/NM CGC graded 9.0 OW-W

#95 NM CGC graded 9.4 W

#96 NM CGC graded 9.4 W

#97 NM- CGC graded 9.2 W

#98 NM CGC graded 9.4 OW

#99 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW-W

#100 NM- CGC graded 9.2 OW

Four more arrived today. One small step closer to my 1-100 goal!

Sorry about the scan for #20. It's the seller's scan; I haven't had time to do my own yet.

avengers03.jpg

avengers20.jpg

avengers54.jpg

avengers100.jpg

Cool books mate. I'm another guy who thought it would be a good idea to get 1 - 100 slabbed tongue.gif. Trouble is I'm not focused enough, keep on buying other stuff as well foreheadslap.gif.

Yeah, the biggest problem is with the upper staple. It looks like the front cover has been tugged at some point and the upper arm of the top staple can caused a tear in the cover (just to the left of the upper staple arm). There are a number of spine stress lines, and there's a bit of color that's rubbed off of the top right corner.

Otherwise, it presents nicely.

BTW, Nick - those raw books are unbelievable! I'd kill for a #52 like that. It's one of my favorite covers - great composition and I love that vibrant yellow - and yours is virtually flawless.

Where do you find raw books like these???

BTW, Nick - those raw books are unbelievable! I'd kill for a #52 like that. It's one of my favorite covers - great composition and I love that vibrant yellow - and yours is virtually flawless.

Where do you find raw books like these???

Drew, thanks for the compliments...the #52 is probably my favourite Buscema Avengers cover of all time. As you rightly said, the composition is excellent, and the colours practically shine on this copy.

As for where I've got them...all over the place. I've shown some real patience rounding them up slowly. A few have come from boarders, a few have come from 'name' dealers (unbelievably the #55 came in a batch of books from Neat Stuff), a few I've picked up at shows. I think the key has been the number of copies I've rejected...unless a book has been 100% what I want, it's been rejected. Hard sometimes, especially when it's going to plug a big hole, but now I'm happy that I have rejected so many.

There is a little story to the #52 (and #62, actually) that's quite amusing...

Back when I was dealing, I bought a 'box of goodies' from a dealer...maybe 250 random books...that we'd thrashed out on a unit price. Just a bunch of fairly common Silver/early Bronze books that would fill my boxes, grades all over the shop.

As I'm sitting on the floor pulling out the stacks...sifting through MTU #22 in FN+ and Superman #312 in VF-, etc, etc...the cover of the #52 shows up on the top of the next stack. I'm blown away by it and open the bag, only to find the COA from the Northland Pedigree! Three books further down, there's the #62, also from the Northland.

Absolutely made my day! yay.gif

Here's a few more unslabbed ones...

Avengers40.jpg

Avengers64.jpg

Avengers83.jpg

Avengers88.jpg

Great story, and a lesson for me to learn: patience!

I've quite new to collecting - at least this time around. (I was a big collector in the late sixties and through the seventies, but sold everything around 79.) All of my purchases have been 'net based so far. I've gone through the "wishful thinking" Ebay phase: hoping those raw books are as nice in hand has they are in the seller's description. Lately the majority of my purchases have been via Heritage (where I've landed some good deals) or Comiclink auctions, or if it's on Ebay I've been mainly sticking to slabbed books. I also bought a set of raw books through a dealer on comicspriceguide.com that were optimistically graded, but not too far off, and it was a good deal. But instead of getting good deals on raw 7.5-8.5 books, I'd rather wait and get true 9.2 or higher books, like you.

I have to slow down, talk to more boarders, get out to cons in Toronto (I missed Paradise last month), and try the LCSs. We've got some good ones here in TO. I'm going to check out Pendragon (?) on Saturday. They're very close to me. (They advertising in Overstreet.)

I've been meaning to add this little gem since its arrival a couple of weeks ago.

WMAvengers25.gif

The White Mountain Avengers #25.

Jim

:golfclap: Sweet.

WOW!!!! Nick, your Avengers collection looks amazing and you bring up a good

point for many of us newer collectors and I'm still working on patience and going after the right book. Very impressive Mate!!! (thumbs u (worship) (worship) (worship)

And Jim that Avengers 25, one of my favorite SA covers is beautiful.

Sweet book!! :cloud9: