• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

I've been wondering about the ST pedigrees. The PC, WP, and Mass look really

fantastic. Then it looks like the Boston copies show up around the late 130's?

What is the highest quality pedigree for the Nick Fury ST's? Pacific Coast? WP?

Are there a lot of Fury WP's? If so, who has them?

Also, are there Curators? I've only seen the 125 copy in 9.6.

Thanks for any info

According to Steve F's pedigree summary of Strange tales books, there are 3 known slabbed curators books, 122, 123 & 125. Which does seem odd, with the obvious answer being that the remainder of the title is not slabbed with what ever content of the run it may contain??

The WP have gaps, going from 101 to 104, and then 116 jumps to 123, and pretty much dies after 147. But again there's the odd issue that appears, making you believe the rest could still out there....unslabbed.

Does anyone know the full history, content of the Curator collection??

I've wondered this myself. Looks like I'm in tough trying to amass a collection of ST's in 9.0 or better. I recently bought 2 Boston copies unslabbed from Metropolis comics a while back and they are also selling a Bethlahem copy of #23 unslabbed. I'd say there still has to be quite a few pedigrees not slabbed in the ST title. They'll probably start coming out of the wood work now since the title seems to be catching popularity more and more. By the way guys... beautiful books!!! Once I start getting my collection of slabbed ST's in I'll have to post a group shot. I've been going on a bit of a bender buying as many as I can get my hands on.

I've been wondering about the ST pedigrees. The PC, WP, and Mass look really

fantastic. Then it looks like the Boston copies show up around the late 130's?

What is the highest quality pedigree for the Nick Fury ST's? Pacific Coast? WP?

Are there a lot of Fury WP's? If so, who has them?

Also, are there Curators? I've only seen the 125 copy in 9.6.

Thanks for any info

According to Steve F's pedigree summary of Strange tales books, there are 3 known slabbed curators books, 122, 123 & 125. Which does seem odd, with the obvious answer being that the remainder of the title is not slabbed with what ever content of the run it may contain??

The WP have gaps, going from 101 to 104, and then 116 jumps to 123, and pretty much dies after 147. But again there's the odd issue that appears, making you believe the rest could still out there....unslabbed.

Does anyone know the full history, content of the Curator collection??

Maybe I'm not understanding your post, but why assume the un-annotated ST Curators have not been slabbed already? They are probably sitting raw or slabbed in a private collection somewhere. There are collectors out there who don't feel compelled to broadcast their holdings. Steve's lists were compiled only of books he came across online, either in threads on these boards, in registry sets, or in online databases (including eBay, Heritage, etc). He did a nice job, regardless.

If I use the Green Rivers as an example....I know of many dozens of books in the pedigree that are sitting raw and in collections (other than mine). And there is no way to generate a complete list of already-slabbed books in a particular pedigree. CGC won't produce one, and the door to the data-mine has been slammed shut. So there we are.

Red

I'll concur with Red on this one - all my Peds are raw including 5 from the ST run - that is IF you count the 2 MH2's that I have as Peds, which I do NOT. Nice thread, I will try and post scans of the Raw books I have sometime in the future. grin.gif

Maybe I'm not understanding your post, but why assume the un-annotated ST Curators have not been slabbed already? They are probably sitting raw or slabbed in a private collection somewhere. There are collectors out there who don't feel compelled to broadcast their holdings. Steve's lists were compiled only of books he came across online, either in threads on these boards, in registry sets, or in online databases (including eBay, Heritage, etc). He did a nice job, regardless.

If I use the Green Rivers as an example....I know of many dozens of books in the pedigree that are sitting raw and in collections (other than mine). And there is no way to generate a complete list of already-slabbed books in a particular pedigree. CGC won't produce one, and the door to the data-mine has been slammed shut. So there we are.

Red

You had the right of it as to where I was heading with this, and your point is obviously quite true. But it does strike me as odd that we have a few slabbed, and not other's. Heaven forbid trying to fathom the reasoning of some collectors, but in this instance I presume one person must be holding the bulk of the Curator ST's to exert such a unified 'non-slabbing' policy on them.

Your Green River collection presumably represent's the largest single gathering of that pedigree, which for the remainder of the collection therein lies a challenge, and good measure of difficulty, which ever way you want to cut it. Once again all power to you on that task!

You had the right of it as to where I was heading with this, and your point is obviously quite true. But it does strike me as odd that we have a few slabbed, and not other's. Heaven forbid trying to fathom the reasoning of some collectors, but in this instance I presume one person must be holding the bulk of the Curator ST's to exert such a unified 'non-slabbing' policy on them.

Your Green River collection presumably represent's the largest single gathering of that pedigree, which for the remainder of the collection therein lies a challenge, and good measure of difficulty, which ever way you want to cut it. Once again all power to you on that task!

You still don't get it. As Red explained, the compilation of pedigreed ST books was done using auction data and communications from a limited number of collectors. It is likely that the Curator ST run has been slabbed. The data, however, cannot be readily obtained since, for example, it is not possible to search the CGC database using the name of a pedigree as keyword.

You still don't get it. As Red explained, the compilation of pedigreed ST books was done using auction data and communications from a limited number of collectors. It is likely that the Curator ST run has been slabbed. The data, however, cannot be readily obtained since, for example, it is not possible to search the CGC database using the name of a pedigree as keyword.

Actually the result is the same, slabbed or unslabbed, none of the Curator books apart from those mentioned in Steve Filosa's ped list have even seen the market. And slabbing in 90% of the time is a prequal to selling. We still don't know, where and what quantity we're possibly talking. also if they were slabbed, census number's would be evident, particularly on key issue's, unless the grades received were negliable for the ped. So I think your right Red did make the point, but rational analysis precludes the possiblity at this stage.

The entire Curator F.F. run is still unslabbed with a single collector apparently, so I guess the S.T. run could be also.

acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Thank you, a little bit of logical thinking.

A scary thought though regarding both runs, there has to be some stunning books amongst both runs given the rest of the Curator ped.

When they eventually come to market, it's going to be interesting times.