• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

There are huge chunks of the Green River Pedigree collection that Shin compiled in his fantastic list....that I've never seen a trace of........ especially some of the big DC runs in the collection. I've been tracking the pedigree for three years.......and look almost every day for evidence.

Here's a screenshot of the summary sheet of Shin's list.......

greenriversummary.jpg

I've only seen one or two copies of the runs of Action, Adventure, Superboy, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and World's Finest. I've seen many more copies of the Marvels in the collection. I assume that those DCs are sitting, raw, in private collections around the globe. I seem to recall Harley Yee mentioning that he bought some second hand from a collector in Australia....so they may be scattered pretty widely by now.

Of the close to 1,700 books on Shin's list....I've gathered info and/or scans of about 200 slabbed books and about 120 raw books. That's about 18% of the books in the original sales manifests of the books that John Hauser and Jim Haack co-purchased in the early 90's.

These also do not include the hundreds of Green Rivers sold separately by Craig Barnett of the Comic Shop in Seattle with small COAs he printed up himself. I've only seen a handful of those.

So of the (rough guess) 2,000 to 2,400 Green River books out there.....I've seen evidence of about 320 total. Lots of fun detectin' ahead!

I will mention that I did come across the occasional slabbed copy when I was able to do searches through the Collector's Society Database. I still think it blows that CGC changed the search parameters, discontinuing the possiblity of that kind of non-threatening and historically interesting data mining.

Red

PS.... Of the 79 Strange Tales Green Rivers listed above....I have seen about a dozen.

Red, this ped in particular has always given me the impression of being scattered far and wide. And that does seem the case, though I did think your scan library extended further into the ped. And to be honest I thought things would of been better because of your talent for spotting them, and the usual flow of sales going through the various web sites.

It's quite an impressive undertaking that obviously encompasses a lot more than any initial assumptions may of envisaged.

Basically the finish line is still a long way away.

p.s in small consolation be grateful no one like Schmell has a hankering for the ped. thumbsup2.gif

Over the last three years....I've collected scans from every Ebay Green Bay sale....from every Heritage sale and from other internet sales sites. It's hard exactly because it's a less desired pedigree and because no single accumulation of the books has surfaced. Which is fine. More of a challenge.

It would frankly be less interesting to me to compile a database of say, Pacific Coast books...... there are a lot of them....it would be easier......and Doug has tons of them. Plus, the Green River backstory beats out most pedigree tales.

PS.... Of the 79 Strange Tales Green Rivers listed above....I have seen about a dozen.

That's a dozen more then I've seen !!

Behold....

http://www.darkdesign.com/gr/strangetalesindex.html

That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing Red Hook!! Now I've seen 9 copies thumbsup2.gif and white pages to boot!! cloud9.gif

Curious which covers you all find the best among ST 101-168. My

personal three faves are 107, 146, and 167. If I had to narrow it

down to 1, I would have to pick 167.

Other opinions?

Rosland I would have to concur, the 107 automatically makes the top 3, and 167, and probably one of 114-116, tough choice there.

As for bottom on the ST run, that's real easy, #135! The colours ruin a perfectly mediocre rendering.

"The Hidden Head"? Something special there?

Lots of pre-hero ones that are good, e.g. 76, 80, 86.

As for the less-than-stellar covers, I would like to suggest 138.

Also, what's the interest in 116? 114 is nice, but I've never been much of a fan

of 116.

Fun to compare notes.

Also, what's the interest in 116? 114 is nice, but I've never been much of a fan

of 116.

Fun to compare notes.

I love #116 for the action sequence. It also has the appearance of very rich colours that look almost like a painting. I believe it's the best that I've ever seen the Thing appear in a comic.

of 116.

Fun to compare notes.

I love #116 for the action sequence. It also has the appearance of very rich colours that look almost like a painting. I believe it's the best that I've ever seen the Thing appear in a comic.

I agree 100%. I've always thought #116 had a painted feel to it also and that the Thing never looked so good. It's said that the inker on this book(George Roussos AKA George Bell) had alot to do with the grey tone covers at DC a few years prior and that he brought some advanced techniques to his Marvel work. He was still under contract at DC while also working at Marvel so hence the alias.

As for best covers, #107 and #116 have to be there. The third choice is a three way tie for me: #108, #112(the first ST I ever bought) and #114(great cover I just had ajax farrell make me a clock of for me). thumbsup2.gif

of 116.

Fun to compare notes.

Pre-hero favourites, I meant to say #80, not #10... my bad sorry.gif

Well, I'm not quite finished yet with 101-168. Always on the lookout for the

right issue in the right grade at the right price.

If you ever decide to divest yourself of those great ST issues you have, give me a shout first;-)

Well, I'm not quite finished yet with 101-168. Always on the lookout for the

right issue in the right grade at the right price.

If you ever decide to divest yourself of those great ST issues you have, give me a shout first;-)

I've pulled up shop for the moment on the title, and like you the books I'm after aren't really coming round. Sure there's been some early 9.6's for upward of $2k...not good collecting from where I'm sitting 893whatthe.gif

I have even thought about letting the title go to focus on other run's in frustration, but managed to snap out of that. But when that day does eventuate, I will certainly let you know. I know I've been lucky on securing a few choice books.

Incidentally, you don't know who picked up that group item of Steve's old ST's off pedigree? confused-smiley-013.gif

If they so choose, that's one quick way to knock up 10,000+ points of the ST's registry rankings with one quick swipe of the credit card! popcorn.gif