• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,115 posts in this topic

MWB I love the display (and the books too, but the display is really cool).

Do you guys see fraudulent listings very often on eBay? There’s a guy selling a fraudulent slabbed rare DD variant, and I’m curious how often it happens. It’s KILLING me too because I would LOVE to have that book!

9 hours ago, TJMM said:

MWB I love the display (and the books too, but the display is really cool).

Do you guys see fraudulent listings very often on eBay? There’s a guy selling a fraudulent slabbed rare DD variant, and I’m curious how often it happens. It’s KILLING me too because I would LOVE to have that book!

Can you share the link?  Curious to see what it is he's selling / claiming.

Sure - here you go.

Daredevil #1 Neal Adams variant cover SIGNED CGC 9.6 EXTREMELY RARE AND HTF 2011 | eBay

He's listing a rare Neal Adams variant DD #1 (Vol. 3) 9.6 ss. The label says it's a Neal Adams sig of a DD #1 (Vol. 3) Marcos Martin cover. So the label is from a Neal Adams sig, but of someone else's cover of a much less rare book. In his listing he says the book has a "CGC error on label that needs correcting." (Is that even a thing?) Also, there is no Adams sig of the Adams cover at a 9.6 on the census. I'm not accusing this seller because we don't really know whether he was duped and doesn't know it, but it really seems like a glaring issue for a book where the seller's asking $1,250. Yikes.

I've been collecting DD for 30+ years, and have all issues and covers except four of them, and this is one I need so it's killing me, though I wouldn't pay $1300 for this, so maybe it's neither here nor there. But curious how often this happens.

Edited by TJMM
typos

8 hours ago, TJMM said:

Sure - here you go.

Daredevil #1 Neal Adams variant cover SIGNED CGC 9.6 EXTREMELY RARE AND HTF 2011 | eBay

He's listing a rare Neal Adams variant DD #1 (Vol. 3) 9.6 ss. The label says it's a Neal Adams sig of a DD #1 (Vol. 3) Marcos Martin cover. So the label is from a Neal Adams sig, but of someone else's cover of a much less rare book. In his listing he says the book has a "CGC error on label that needs correcting." (Is that even a thing?) Also, there is no Adams sig of the Adams cover at a 9.6 on the census. I'm not accusing this seller because we don't really know whether he was duped and doesn't know it, but it really seems like a glaring issue for a book where the seller's asking $1,250. Yikes.

I've been collecting DD for 30+ years, and have all issues and covers except four of them, and this is one I need so it's killing me, though I wouldn't pay $1300 for this, so maybe it's neither here nor there. But curious how often this happens.

CGC does make errors on occasion particularly with variant covers, Canadian price variants, other distinctions. It doesn't happen often enough to be a problem but it does happen. They certify so many books and to have so many moderns with 10 variant covers, all the different price variants, pricing errors its inevitable. 

So most likely a CGC error as the seller describes and not some attempt at fraud. Its not easy to tamper with and replace the label. You should be able to send it in to CGC for a label correction. 

Thanks. I’d definitely be open to that if it were a $100 book, but for the kind of money this guy wants I’d think he’d do it himself. I wouldn’t risk dropping that much and then being told by CGC they won’t change the label.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:01 AM, The Man Without Beer said:

Finished my DD yellow cover run (inc. ASM 16) plus DD #7. All the raw books I DIY slabbed, labeled and gave a reasonable grade. Pretty happy with how it turned out. One day I will either send the raws to CGC or upgrade for already slabbed. Couldn't get them all together in one pic as I display them somewhat randomly.

20210213_100441.jpg

20210213_100613.jpg

20210213_100543.jpg

20210213_100433.jpg

Beautiful Foggy Nelson appearance books , also featuring Daredevil🤪😷