• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,115 posts in this topic

If I remember correctly (and I can check the catalogs later) the 1 sold in a single lot and then many of the other Daredevils were sold in a group lot. I've never seen any of the early ones come up for sale. 

On 9/9/2019 at 3:24 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I love the Gladiator an the Ox covers above❤️❤️👍

The DD 15 Ox story is really good; among the best early DD stories if not the best.  It's my favorite.

I'm surprised it doesn't get more love.

Mebbe because of it's similarity to the classic FF #51 story, even though the DD story was a couple months earlier. 

That is beyond impressive, Lou. Heartiest congratulations from another fan of early DD. :golfclap:

I have a raw run from 1 to 60 but I don’t think any of them resemble a 9.4 copy.

A LCS has a gorgeous raw copy of #7 that’s very tempting but I don’t know about the $900 price tag. I own a solid mid grade copy that fits in well with my collection, but still...

4 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Congratulations! That takes some perseverance and cash!

26 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

That is beyond impressive, Lou. Heartiest congratulations from another fan of early DD. :golfclap:

I have a raw run from 1 to 60 but I don’t think any of them resemble a 9.4 copy.

A LCS has a gorgeous raw copy of #7 that’s very tempting but I don’t know about the $900 price tag. I own a solid mid grade copy that fits in well with my collection, but still...

Thank you both!

After years away from the hobby, I've been on this quest for two and a half years now.  DD is the first "long" run I've completed, as opposed to "short" runs like Doctor Strange, Nick Fury, and Silver Surfer.  I'm really close on some other titles, and it's always interesting to me which book in a particular run is going to end up being the last holdout.

Full disclosure though, I also want to get the first four DD annuals in 9.4, and I still can't find a #3.  Someday!

King Size Special #1 was one of my first Marvels back in the summer of ‘67. I think it was my first DD issue. I loved it then and, having recently read it again, I love it now. “Genial” Gene’s brilliant artwork made quite an impression on this discerning eight year old.:cloud9:

20 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

After years away from the hobby, I've been on this quest for two and a half years now.  DD is the first "long" run I've completed, as opposed to "short" runs like Doctor Strange, Nick Fury, and Silver Surfer.  I'm really close on some other titles, and it's always interesting to me which book in a particular run is going to end up being the last holdout.

Full disclosure though, I also want to get the first four DD annuals in 9.4, and I still can't find a #3.  Someday!

Two and a half years is pretty fast! What were the toughest books for you?

It's been awhile since I finished the run, but the toughest books for me were #7 (no surprise there), #31 (in 9.6) and #86 (in 9.6).

Annual #3 is really tough too. It's a Picture Frame book so it has extra folks chasing after it.

56 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

Two and a half years is pretty fast! What were the toughest books for you?

It's been awhile since I finished the run, but the toughest books for me were #7 (no surprise there), #31 (in 9.6) and #86 (in 9.6).

Annual #3 is really tough too. It's a Picture Frame book so it has extra folks chasing after it.

To be clear, I had a good chunk of the run before I really started in earnest, but it was all raw.  In early 2017 I got my books graded and then set about upgrading the ones that didn't come back 9.4+, plus of course filling in the gaps.

I just went back and looked at my records.  Out of issues #1-109 and Annuals #1-3, only 10 of my raw books came back 9.4.  :whatthe:  Also, it was actually only 2 years ago (not 2.5) when I got those books back and knew which books I needed to chase down.  I was able to buy a couple of books I didn't own in the meantime, like #9 (which I understand to actually be relatively common in high grade) as well as #5, 16, 17, and 44.  At the end of November 2017 I found my #1 as well as #4, winning them both in a ComicLink auction.  By the end of December, I had 39 books out of my target of 109 plus the three annuals.

A year later, at the end of 2018, I was down to just ten books I hadn't been able to find:  #2, 13, 22, 32, 55, 65, and 90, plus the first three annuals.  I had found #7 in October -- frankly overpaid, but I simply was not finding the book anywhere.

So, in 2019 I was able to find #32 in January, and Annual #1 in early March, then @rob_react put his collection up in ComicConnect's March auction -- there I was able to win everything else except #90 and Annual #3.  It's taken me another 7+ months to track down #90, and here we are!

As for Annual #3, I'm sure there must be some demand for the book but the problem I'm having is supply.  It's one thing to see a book crop up and get nabbed by someone else who's quicker or more aggressive, but sometimes a book just simply doesn't surface for months at a time.  But I'll get there!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Awesome! :tink:

86 and Annual 3 are very tough books. Annual 3 I think is actually the tougher of the two. It just doesn't come up for sale. You see 86 come up for sale, raw, all the time so there's always a chance to see even a nice raw copy. Annual 3 is like a ghost. 

3 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Awesome! :tink:

86 and Annual 3 are very tough books. Annual 3 I think is actually the tougher of the two. It just doesn't come up for sale. You see 86 come up for sale, raw, all the time so there's always a chance to see even a nice raw copy. Annual 3 is like a ghost. 

It's good to hear that from another serious collector.  I do own a raw copy of Annual #3 that didn't pass the 9.4 screen, so it's probably a 9.0-9.2.  I also own a CGC 9.2 of Hulk Annual #4, another one that's tough to find (there's one on eBay that is priced like a hostage situation).  I'll be chasing after both of those for a while ...