• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:Trying again,guys.....................

156 posts in this topic

Silver;

I'd wipe my [embarrassing lack of self control] with them rather then give them to you.

And to all those of your trying to help me-I DO apprieciate it.It's just that I have limited time and resources to protect my investment the last few years and I did the best I could.This boxes are STRONG and INTACT and I really don't think a collection should be judged on the boxes.As for storage-I kept them in a very temperture and humidity controlled basement.It was the best I could do.This collection was preserved the very best way I could.Many of these comics were obtained from flea markets and private kid collections.No,it's not exactly a Golden Age Run of CAPTAIN MARVELS in CGC 10.0 condition.And a collection such as that and Rosa's requires extraordinary steps-like a special 20,000 dollar controlled storage facility bc it can potentially bring 10-15 times that on the market if CGC graded and auctioned properly to the upper class collectors.But as an 8 year old kid-which is when most of these comics were obtained-I didn't think that far ahead,I thought this was sufficient.And for the most part,whether you believe it or not,it HAS.

These books have to go and I need to be realistic about thier market value,YES.But I've bent over backwards to grade and present them professionally-and you guys complain about the condition of the BOXES?These boxes have weathered years of care and age.They've been replaced a few times,just not recently.They are fine,durable boxes and I didn't want to waste them.And for THAT,my comics are "junk".That's just plain WRONG.

By the way,for the guy who asked-that table in the basement by the wiring is the only one large enough with enough lighting to hold all the boxes and take the picture.Therefore,I'm being penalized for the local decor..................

Andrew L.

Andrew,

One word for you.. PRESENTATION

Yes I have sold large lots on eeekbay and after wards had many emails asking why I get such a nice price for my lots when they only pull about half of what mine have went for. (same type of books)

PRESENTATION.

If you make it look good you will get a better price. Just look at tv comercials for restaurants. Hell the quarter pounder looks great on that TV comercial but get one at McDonalds and they sure in the hell dont look the same. But the ad did the thing. It got you to say damn that looks good and ya ran out and bought one. Like an earlier post, if I had this lot I know I would get close to $1000 for it with no problem. You just had the wrong attitude all along.

So my man for future sales remember the word for the day ...PRESENTATION

GREAT. Now I'm screwed since I didn't have time to change the boxes.THIS IS THE ONLY COLLECTION I HAVE AND MAXIMUM VALUE IS CRITICAL.SHOULD I NOW SHUT DOWN THE AUCTION,REPLACE ALL THE BOXES AND TRY AGAIN IN 2-3 WEEKS?!?

This is turning out to be SUCH an unpleasant process.Seriously.And I'm taking graduate level topology and algebra,this is really not something I have time to worry over.

Someone make an 800 dollar bid so I can sleep the rest of the week and not get a stroke over not replacing the boxes................

Andrew L.

Worst part is-I wasn't even planning to hand them over in the boxes.I was going to bundle them up in USPS Priority Mail boxes using a method of packing the comics I've used in the past with great success-whether the buyer has them shipped or picks them up in person. Now I'm screwed either way.Maybe I should just take down the boxes photo and just go by the comics photos?PLENTY there.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Worst part is-I wasn't even planning to hand them over in the boxes.I was going to bundle them up in USPS Priority Mail boxes using a method of packing the comics I've used in the past with great success-whether the buyer has them shipped or picks them up in person. Now I'm screwed either way.Maybe I should just take down the boxes photo and just go by the comics photos?PLENTY there.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

You know you could have spent 1/10th of the time that you have spent on the boards and just planned out the auction properly in the first place. Sometimes it takes a little money to make a lot of money.

Care to answer my questions on grading of the TTA & shiping overseas. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I was to bid on the books, I would expect them to be shipped airmail at your nominated price. Its no use coming to the winner at the end of the auction asking for more shipping money.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Russ... popcorn.gif

GREAT. Now I'm screwed since I didn't have time to change the boxes.THIS IS THE ONLY COLLECTION I HAVE AND MAXIMUM VALUE IS CRITICAL.SHOULD I NOW SHUT DOWN THE AUCTION,REPLACE ALL THE BOXES AND TRY AGAIN IN 2-3 WEEKS?!?

This is turning out to be SUCH an unpleasant process.Seriously.And I'm taking graduate level topology and algebra,this is really not something I have time to worry over.

Someone make an 800 dollar bid so I can sleep the rest of the week and not get a stroke over not replacing the boxes................

Andrew L.

Here is a thought. List your books on ebay and just let it go. The only reason you are here is to pimp your books and we get it by now. You have crappy books. Just let the market pay you what they are worth. I am so sick and [embarrassing lack of self control] tired of hearing all this whining about how had school is and all this. I graduated from Georgia Tech with a 3.9 GPA while working 40+ hours a week and having a small social life.

I doubt you were a double major in mathematics and biochemistry with 2 parents with cancer,one of whom died after a 17 year struggle. But I don't need to explain myself to anyone,least of all YOU,Mr.Georgia Tech.This is why Donald Estep bolted the math department there and they've been kicking themselves since he write his textbook and became famous............

And by the way-I'M GETTING OUT OF THE BUISNESS,HENCE SELLING THE COLLECTION,HELLO?!?

For the most part-jerks like you aside-the input from this board has been helpful and I appriecate all the well-intentioned input I've recieved here.

As for input like yours-well,you know what they say about opinions...........

Andrew L..

Dear Russ;

One thing I've learned the hard way over the years is that if you charge too much for shipping on EBAY,no one will bid.PERIOD.I think this SHOULD cover it,I checked with the post office online.Albeit just BARELY.And if not-I'll have to eat the difference,too late to change it now.

The Tales To Astonish #59 has significant surface wear and several noticable defects,including a very small tear in the lower right front cover.I think VG Overstreet is a fair estimate of grade-I tried to be extra conservative after the tongue lashing I got from the Message Board members.

A.L.

I doubt you were a double major in mathematics and biochemistry with 2 parents with cancer,one of whom died after a 17 year struggle. But I don't need to explain myself to anyone,least of all YOU,Mr.Georgia Tech.This is why Donald Estep bolted the math department there and they've been kicking themselves since he write his textbook and became famous............

And by the way-I'M GETTING OUT OF THE BUISNESS,HENCE SELLING THE COLLECTION,HELLO?!?

For the most part-jerks like you aside-the input from this board has been helpful and I appriecate all the well-intentioned input I've recieved here.

As for input like yours-well,you know what they say about opinions...........

Andrew L..

If you hope to become an academic someday you need to learn a few things.

First, no one in science or math is "famous". Famous in science or math means "widely known in small circles" (i.e., small circles = others in your field).

Second, you need to keep your eye on the ball and realize your career is what is important and requires (demands) your time and focus, and everything else in your life you should strive to make a pleasant distraction. Things like this ebay auction and this fiasco of a thread are to be avoided. Plus as I said before I'm astonished you're a math student given you needn't know linear algebra to realize that wiht all the time and money you've invested in this you're going to net about 10 cents an hour. If instead you'd invested this time in your studies making yourself a better scientist/mathematician you'll reap a bigger financial reward down the line. You might be surprised to learn that many graduate programs do not allow students to have jobs because it will detract from their studies.

Third, don't sully your reputation by engaging in outside activities that create controversy or paint you in a negative light. Some day if you are a teacher, respected researcher, or leader in your institute you don't want people to identify you with something stupid like the time you went postal over a few boxes of comic books.

We have a few people on this board who have jobs whose importance demands they maintain a solid public reputation. No one I would call famous, but certainly people who need to be image sensitive. I'm impressed how these people always post in a very diplomatic, non-offensive manner (I'll admit it is hard at times given there are dozens of forumites willing to provoke you for the slightest reason) and still derive a lot of pleasure participating in the boards.

And I'm taking graduate level topology and algebra,this is really not something I have time to worry over.

Then don't.

And you seriously need to get over this "I'm a student and none of you uneducated louts ever took a hard course in your life" stupidity. This is not exactly "ditch digger central".

Andrew L.

Here is a thought. List your books on ebay and just let it go. The only reason you are here is to pimp your books and we get it by now. You have crappy books. Just let the market pay you what they are worth. I am so sick and [embarrassing lack of self control] tired of hearing all this whining about how had school is and all this. I graduated from Georgia Tech with a 3.9 GPA while working 40+ hours a week and having a small social life.

well you're a comic nerd Darrell, so the small social life is not an excuse, it's a way of life 893naughty-thumb.gif

Andrew L.

well you're a comic nerd Darrell, so the small social life is not an excuse, it's a way of life 893naughty-thumb.gif

Actually I wasn't into comics at the time. I just had a lot going on and bills to pay so I didn't blow all my money on booze like a lot of my friends.

We should pull up the thread about where did you go to college for Mr. Andrew.

Hell I went back at age 34 working 40 hour weeks, classes 4 days a week, 5 hours a day, with a wife and 2 boys who are very active in sports and I too graduated with a 3.9 GPA.

I'm sorry about your parents but the 4 years I was in school I dealt with death too. Quit using it as a scape goat and get on with your life. You dont have it any harder than anyone else did when they were in school! The world isn't against you, you only make it seem that way.

Dude;

1) To my knowledge,ALL of them are in bags and some are in mylar.The more valuable ones.

2) I have no idea.Most of them,I think.

Andrew L.

That latter answer was to my question:

b) how many of these books are in bags without backing boards?

Sorry, but based on your answer, I'm going to pass on this one....

I've seen too many "treasured collections" turn out to be a bunch of VG+/- books simply because there were no boards to keep the books' spines straight. frustrated.gif

Good luck - you're definitely going to need it!

Larry