• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:Trying again,guys.....................

156 posts in this topic

Good luck - you're definitely going to need it!

27_laughing.gif

Go ahead and laugh but I bet you aren't a

double major in mathematics and biochemistry with 2 parents with cancer,one of whom died after a 17 year struggle

Just taking a guess at what his response is going to be.

double major in mathematics and biochemistry with 2 parents with cancer,one of whom died after a 17 year struggle

He'd better work on that mathematics part, as that would only be ONE parent.

And if it is two, I don't want to know anymore.. 893whatthe.gif

He'd better work on that mathematics part, as that would only be ONE parent.

And if it is two, I don't want to know anymore.. 893whatthe.gif

funny in a sad sick kind of way

I definetly undestand being strong , but lets remember we are talking about selling comic books here. But I will withdraw my post , I am not trying to be insensitive .

I didn't take you as being insensitive. Andrew is making it out as if he has had the worst life and no one here can compare to it. Well I know plenty of peeps here who have been through hell and back twice. But on the other side this is a very caring forum ( trust me I know this personally) If you treat them with respect and not like they are scum because they dont have a triple math education while going through hard times they will be there for you.

Trust me Andrew when I say I really do feel sorry for your loss and what you have been through bro, just dont use it for a crutch.

Dear Hearts;

I've been too busy pouring over Munkres' TOPOLOGY, Herstien's TOPICS IN ALGEBRA and Spivak's gigantic tome on differential geometry the last 2 days to add to this thread-contrary to opinion, I AM a double major in biochemistry and mathematics in NYC.The collection is at this writing is at $436-not very encouraging. In fact-I was encouraged to end the auction early by my family:Rebox and rebag in all new materials the collection, take all new pics of the boxes,wait a few months until everyone forgets and repost it.That's REALLY tempting. But you know what? I'm so disgusted with the whole process of selling these things that I just want it over.My collection is on 73 watch lists.I still have an outside shot-not a great one,but a shot-at unloading them for a grand. And this has to stop somewhere.I've sent out emails,committed to the auction,and the state of the boxes doesn't seem to be discouraging TOO many people to bid and emailing me with questions.(I guess most of them are experienced enough at buying and selling to know boxes with yellowed exteriors don't necessarily mean bad storage...........) Again,I wanted to thank everyone at this board who tried to help me and give me positive advice and feedback. Now it's in fate's hands.

There's only one heckler at this board who I feel the need to reply to:The person who doubted I really was a math major-and a lot worse my story. I DID have 2 sick parents and last time I looked,2 minus 1 is 1.My mother-who had breast cancer-is still alive and dealing as best as she can with the death of my father.One of the reasons this comic collection is so personal to me was a lot of the times I spent with my father-the precious little he could-was at comic book shops.He'd be late to his jobs-all 3 of them-to make sure he could take me to get whatever I needed in comics or to preserve them.Some of my best memories are pancake breakfasts at 8 am on Saturday,then the comic shop where I was the proverbial kid in a candy store, before my dad went to work.And me-a stupid kid with a Price Guide-convinced him that one day I'd get rich off them.When times were bad and food money was scarce-when he was dying-one of the things he held onto was although I'd never get rich off them,he could leave me a little nest egg in the comics."You can get yourself a new car at least with those-all those years and trips weren't wasted."

In this case,I'm glad he's gone.It would break his heart to know the reality of the market in 2006 and the chump change I'm going to end up practically giving them away for.

I guess that's all.Thanks for all the postive feedback and we'll see what happens now.

Andrew L.

Andrew, you may not be able to hear it... but my heart is breaking. 27_laughing.gif

I especially liked this nugget:

He'd be late to his jobs-all 3 of them-to make sure he could take me to get whatever I needed in comics or to preserve them.

So your Dad worked 3 jobs to buy you that pile of 893censored-thumb.gif? Did they come in Gold boxes with Platinum dividers?

One of the reasons this comic collection is so personal to me was a lot of the times I spent with my father-the precious little he could-was at comic book shops.He'd be late to his jobs-all 3 of them-to make sure he could take me to get whatever I needed in comics or to preserve them.Some of my best memories are pancake breakfasts at 8 am on Saturday,then the comic shop where I was the proverbial kid in a candy store, before my dad went to work.And me-a stupid kid with a Price Guide-convinced him that one day I'd get rich off them.When times were bad and food money was scarce-when he was dying-one of the things he held onto was although I'd never get rich off them,he could leave me a little nest egg in the comics."You can get yourself a new car at least with those-all those years and trips weren't wasted."

In this case,I'm glad he's gone.It would break his heart to know the reality of the market in 2006 and the chump change I'm going to end up practically giving them away for.

I guess that's all.Thanks for all the postive feedback and we'll see what happens now.

Andrew L.

End the auction & keep them.

should have stuck a reserve on them if you were worried about not getting your price. I'm currently reading a recently declassified dossier on a soldier's exploits. Her name is Scarlett.

You know,if this message board would let me,I'd answer Collector how he SHOULD be answered.

I'm guessing, something like...

"Oh black-hearted Goblin King, I shall smite thee down with my +5 Axe of Familial Woe, then my Wizard will unleash his Orb of Comic Regret, my Dark Elf punctures you with his +3 Whining Arrows, and my Cleric delivers a crippling blow with the Overused Scrolls of Mathematics."

You realize of course when you made that crack about my father,you were dissing a man you never knew who died in agony from cancer less then 3 months ago for kicks. What a real man that makes you,sure people will want to erect a monument to the human being you are............

My Proper Response:WHATEVER,Collector.

A.L.

You realize of course when you made that crack about my father,you were dissing a man you never knew who died in agony from cancer less then 3 months ago for kicks.

I never dissed your father once, I dissed YOU and YOUR COMMENTS. Read the posts again, and find one insult directed specifically at your father.