• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A beginner in OA collecting...

12 posts in this topic

I've collected comics for a long time now, but have recently decided to go after some OA peices and have just a few questions that I have yet to find answers to (keep in mind i'm new to the OA thing as a whole.)

When you get an OA peice, is it really the only one of it's kind? I've heard that there are sometimes two copies, one with just pencils and one with inks as well, or one just pencils and one with word bubbles. Unless i've heard wrong that is. I mean, i've seen uninked michael turner pages and inked mcguinness/vines pages, so is there a copy of those same pages inked/uninked? or is the page I would buy be the only copy of that page, the one used as a template to make the printed comic pages? I hope this makes sense. My main question is, if I buy an OA peice, is it really the only one that exists? Thanks guys!

Hey MO,

Most OA exists in a single form (pen and ink). Lately, lots of pencilers are tending to draw their pencils on art board and then have their inker ink a copy.

On older (pre-mid 90s) pages, the word bubbles are typically pasted onto the board or are drawn onto the board. In the past several years, most word bubbles/lettering is done via computer, so the art board doesn't have any of them on it. I hope that helps some! - Keith

I may get what you're saying...so would this be an inker's copy, or the original?

LINK

I'm certain that's the pen and ink version. Only a smattering of artists are doing separate pen and inks (Mike Wieringo on his recent FF and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man rns comes to mind - help me out if anybody can think of more- maybe we should compile a list?). Any pages that are only inks should be labeled as such. Also, that page is from McGuinness' art representative and is in McGuiness' section, so its pen and ink.

Only a smattering of artists are doing separate pen and inks (Mike Wieringo on his recent FF and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man rns comes to mind - help me out if anybody can think of more- maybe we should compile a list?).

Trevor Hairsine is another.

Only a smattering of artists are doing separate pen and inks (Mike Wieringo on his recent FF and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man rns comes to mind - help me out if anybody can think of more- maybe we should compile a list?).

Trevor Hairsine is another.

Would you guys want to sticky a thread about pencilers who typicallyhave their inks done on a separate page?