• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay

3,099 posts in this topic

I thought it might be helpful to compile a list of moderns that are currently hot on ebay so we have a reference point when perusing back issue and quarter boxes. I'll get the thread started with a couple that I've noticed:

Ghost Rider Vol. 2 #89-93

The last 5 issues seem to be doing very well. Probably for two reasons, one, low print run, and two, the upcoming movie.

Maxx 34, 35

These seemed to be a lot hotter a few months back, but the last issue seems to go for decent money if properly graded. I would assume they sell because of the low print run, and because they're the last two issues of the series.

Anyone got any others?

-Chris

What are the Maxxes going for? Ebay shows just one #34 going unsold at $5. Mile High is very proud of their copies, though, as usual.

It seems all the last issues of the long-running series Marvel cancelled/restarted in 1997-1999 are tough to find and can potentially sell for a bit. I check every shop I go to, which isn't too many, but few shops have any Daredevils over 300, let alone up to 390. Same thing with recent DC deadends like Flash and WW. They aren't selling for a premium yet, but they are not on shelves anymore.

It's been kind of a slow year for hot, flippable comics. After Batman Year 100 I haven't seen many things take off that are likely to be found. Mouse Guard 1st prints and Rocketo #0 are the only ones I've noticed, but they are tough to find. Asking prices on Chris Ware's Floyd Farland seem to keep going up, but I don't know anyone who is paying them. OOP hardcover reprints are also hot. The marbleized variant Marvel Masterworks, the first print run after going back to that style, are hot, especially the ones with the low print runs stated on the back. Some of the Silver variants are hot, too, if they haven't gone back to press yet. Absolute Editions of Planetary and the first Authority are strong. So are volumes 2 and 3 of the New X-Men hardcovers, though they may come down with the big omnibus coming out.

Cool thread. Not surprised about the Ghost Rider books. One book that I dropped before it was cancelled. Now I'll probably pay big to get the remainder of the series. Oh well, if the movie isn't good, they will plummet again.

Pat

With Cage manning it, it will plummet. Plus, many non-comic lovers have voiced their dis-interest. So, if probably should have been when. I'm just hoping for the best because I love the character (clearly doesn't work as evidenced by Daredevil).

Pat

I'm just hoping for the best because I love the character (clearly doesn't work as evidenced by Daredevil).

You do realize that the same guy who wrote and directed Daredevil, is the writer-director for Ghost Rider, right?

Aliens v Predator v Terminator. 4 issue mini sells for $20+. I've seen the run sell for $50 a few times in the past 2 years. There are a few other Predator/Aliens books that do that sort of multiple. Low print run, never reprinted.

I'm just hoping for the best because I love the character (clearly doesn't work as evidenced by Daredevil).

You do realize that the same guy who wrote and directed Daredevil, is the writer-director for Ghost Rider, right?

27_laughing.gif i laugh but it's rather sad in the end... frown.gif

but i don't think the sucess or lack of it will do squat to the marvel spotlight 5 grin.gif

regards

Wow, some great responses guys. Here's another one to look out for if you can find a copy:

Cable/Deadpool vol.1 tpb

Currently out of print, but sells for around $50. These are probably kicking around in some comic stores.

-Chris

I'll add Marc Spector, Moon Night # 55. The Platt artwork is what's pushing this. The last five issues of the run are selling for a bit of a premium.

...Well at least they were a few months ago. Assuming these are still hot.

Nina,

The moon knights are a good one. I sold off a 55 I found in a quarter box for $25 a few months back before the new series came out. I think the issues have levelled a little, but they're still warm. A 55 in 9.8 will bring some cash though, in fact I wouldn't mind having one for myself.

-Chris

27_laughing.gif i laugh but it's rather sad in the end... frown.gif

but i don't think the sucess or lack of it will do squat to the marvel spotlight 5 grin.gif

regards

Oh Lord. I didn't realize it was the same director. Destined to fail. That's a shame.

I agree with JC, Marvel Spotlight and Ghost Rider 1 would probably fall some as a result of a poor movie.

Pat

"Nina,

The moon knights are a good one. I sold off a 55 I found in a quarter box for $25 a few months back before the new series came out. I think the issues have levelled a little, but they're still warm. A 55 in 9.8 will bring some cash though, in fact I wouldn't mind having one for myself.

-Chris"

Surprising, because those were HOT books when they came out the first time around (although SPLATT's first MK was a bit of a surprise, so that one wasn't speculated on, I remember my LCS ordering extras of the subsequent issues), but then Image took SPLATT down with them.

I price them moderately ($2-$3 each), but ASMs in the late 300s/early 400s sell pretty regularly out of my store. I know this isn't big money, but something if done in volume. Hey, any time you can sell a modern for around cover price that's a big deal!