• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Calvacade of Cameo First Appearances!

20 posts in this topic

Ah yes... the cameo.

As most of us know, many of the most popular characters in comics made their first appearances with a tiny little teaser. Sometimes these were advertisements, while other times they were single panels in a larger story. In other cases the characters appeared on the last page in the comic, gearing readers up for the full length debut to follow in the next issue.

Of course, there is a debate as to whether or not these cameos truly count as the "official" first appearances of these characters, but I thought it would be interesting to have a thread that showcases these brief yet historically significant introductions.

We'll start with one that inspired this thread that I remembered from my childhood.

If you ask most comic fans what the very first appearance of Spider-Man's black costume was, most folks will tell you Amazing Spider-Man #252. What many people don't realize is that Marvel Age #12 published some rough sketches of the suit almost half a year before #252 came out... Note that the spider symbol was red!

spideyblack.jpg

Now on to more historically significant super heroes. I snagged this image from Durden08 in the Golden Age boards, and it's absolutely amazing... It's from More Fun Comics #31, which came out in May, 1938... one month before Action #1! Could this be the very first appearance of Superman? (This isn't counting Siegel and Schuster's "Reign of The Supermen" pamphlet, which really wasn't "Superman" per se...)

superman.jpg

Now on to Batman: Did this 1 panel ad in Action Comics #12 come out before Detective #27? It certainly seems so, as it says "Starts In The May issue", implying that it hasn't been released yet. Still, both comics are dated May 1939, so it would be hard to prove this was on the shelves first. Thanks to Norrin Radd for this amazing scan:

batman.jpg

And Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman, who appears in this tiny ad on the cover of Mad #21:

alfredeneuman.jpg

If anyone out there has any more cool cameo debuts to post, like Hellboy from San Diego Comic Con Comics #2, Gambit from X-Men Annual #14, or anything else I missed, please do so!