• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,762 posts in this topic

Posted 3.5 years ago...

As a long-time pre-hero Adventure completionist, here are my ball park rankings of the top 10 in order of scarcity:

1. New Adventure 13

2. New Adventure 26 and 27 (tied)

4. New Adventure 25

5. New Comics 2 and 3 (tied)

7. New Adventure 12

8. New Adventure 15

9. New Comics 4

10. Adventure 36

I tried to go past 10, but found it too difficult to distinguish between specific issues. The next grouping would probably be New Adventure 14, 16, 17, 22 and 23. Some of the other issues of New Comics may be more scarce than they appear to be simply because the demand for them is so low that it affects the scarcity perception.

Any recommended changes to the list?

Surprisingly, that list still seems fairly accurate in my opinion. Based on books that have surfaced over the last 3 years, today I might tweak the list by moving 13 down a notch, and switching the positions of 12 and 36. It's also possible that 28 could qualify for a top 10 spot. But it wouldn't surprise me if the list is still accurate as is.

32 has always appeared rare to me as well. I have only seen 3 copies. The church copy (RHG) and two very flawed low grade copies. Is this assessment way off base?

Posted 3.5 years ago...

As a long-time pre-hero Adventure completionist, here are my ball park rankings of the top 10 in order of scarcity:

1. New Adventure 13

4. New Adventure 25

7. New Adventure 12

8. New Adventure 15

9. New Comics 4

10. Adventure 36

I tried to go past 10, but found it too difficult to distinguish between specific issues. The next grouping would probably be New Adventure 14, 16, 17, 22 and 23. Some of the other issues of New Comics may be more scarce than they appear to be simply because the demand for them is so low that it affects the scarcity perception.

Surprisingly, that list still seems fairly accurate in my opinion. Based on books that have surfaced over the last 3 years, today I might tweak the list by moving 13 down a notch, and switching the positions of 12 and 36. It's also possible that 28 could qualify for a top 10 spot. But it wouldn't surprise me if the list is still accurate as is.

32 has always appeared rare to me as well. I have only seen 3 copies. The church copy (RHG) and two very flawed low grade copies. Is this assessment way off base?

I don't think that the 32 qualifies as one of the least common in the pre-hero run, but it is very rare in grade. Other than the Church copy, every known copy but one is below mid-grade and, as I recall, the mid-grade copy has poor page quality. The cover is one of Flessel's best, which may explain why it is rarely offered for sale in any grade.

163336.jpg.b20cec32291aa48e73cf43be6dff0afb.jpg

Posted 3.5 years ago...

1. New Adventure 13

4. New Adventure 25

7. New Adventure 12

8. New Adventure 15

9. New Comics 4

10. Adventure 36

I don't think that the 32 qualifies as one of the least common in the pre-hero run, but it is very rare in grade. Other than the Church copy, every known copy but one is below mid-grade and, as I recall, the mid-grade copy has poor page quality. The cover is one of Flessel's best, which may explain why it is rarely offered for sale in any grade.

:cloud9: Gets me every time!

I agree it's one of his strongest covers. 25 and 32 are by far my favorites of the run. I have always liked the colors on 26 (not necessarily the art). Yes the mid grade 32 has slightly brittle pages if I remember correctly.

Definitely a very scarce to rate book - I think you and I have looked at/discussed the same copies! :insane:

It was quite beaten down and dirty before conservation and time was kicking its arse badly so CCS rescued it. Cover and pages cleaned to lighten staining,spine support, staple replacement ,supported centerfold, and pressed. Outside of some small color loss on the right side, its very bright and beautiful now. I often wondered if I shoulda had 'em replace that color loss, but then I guess that'd give me the purple mark of the beast :eyeroll:

2vmvgo8.jpg

It was quite beaten down and dirty before conservation and time was kicking its arse badly so CCS rescued it. Cover and pages cleaned to lighten staining,spine support, staple replacement ,supported centerfold, and pressed. Outside of some small color loss on the right side, its very bright and beautiful now. I often wondered if I shoulda had 'em replace that color loss, but then I guess that'd give me the purple mark of the beast :eyeroll:

2vmvgo8.jpg

One of my old copies. Looks good. (thumbs u

Overstreet is now listing the ADV 36 as scarce, and deservedly so - congrat's on acquiring a copy. :applause:

+1

And it's about time, although I believe he's had this particular issue broken out for a few years now.

I believe more of these pre-hero Adventure's and in particular, some of the More Fun's such as #47 and #48 with their classic adventure themed covers really needs to also be broken out. hm

I generally prefer to stay in the vg-vf range of comics, but I jumped at this one because Adventure 36 is STUPID rare. I agree that the "safari" covers should be broken out in OPG as well. But this one particularly is impossible to find. Fun fact: there are twice as many copies of Double Action 2 in the census as there are Adventure 36. Remove the Church copy of 36, and you drop down to 2 copies, one at 5.5 and the other at 4.0. Compare that to #35 with 10 copies, and #37 (my favorite non-hero DC) with 15....where are all the copies of 36?