• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks to one of my favorite Boardies, I was finally able to get a book I've coveted for a long time.  I love this cover!

Adv.49(MH).jpg

Nice! :golfclap:

Would you believe that I used to own that book along with the Larson, and now I have the Nova Scotia. :insane:

Art from whom I think are DC Comics' earliest female artists:

Connie Naar (aka Constance Naar) - Petey the Pup from New Comics #1 (December, 1935) -

XwKrSAHc98DFPn0dm1iw6PElQ5ktt2-fpA-pZjOi

Emma McKean (aka Ema Keen) - Sister and Brother from New Comics #1 (December, 1935) -

New_comics_001_%281935%29_42.jpg

Serene Summerfield - Stratosphere Special, 2036 A.D. from New Comics #4 (March, 1936) -

uImCWz6lhBviS0V8QNRB40I7e1PzwjATN4uLaxLv

Edited by Electricmastro

15 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

NewComics4.jpg

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Especially considering that books from this early part of 1936 is virtually impossible to find in any kind of condition, let alone a copy in as stunning condition as your copy here.  :takeit:

Your Board moniker is definitely appropriate when it comes to this book here as it is dfinitely super RareHighGrade.  (thumbsu

Just took a quick look at the CGC census and there's only 3 graded copies of this particular book here.  One in CGC 9.2 NM- with the other 2 copies substantailly lower at CGC 5.5 and CGC 2.5 grades.  Would this happen to be the CGC 9.2 graded copy that has now been freed from its imprisoned slab for your reading pleasure or is it still a raw ungraded copy that has yet to cross a grading table?  ???

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Your Board moniker is definitely appropriate when it comes to this book here as it is dfinitely super RareHighGrade.  (thumbsu

Just took a quick look at the CGC census and there's only 3 graded copies of this particular book here.  One in CGC 9.2 NM- with the other 2 copies substantailly lower at CGC 5.5 and CGC 2.5 grades.  Would this happen to be the CGC 9.2 graded copy that has now been freed from its imprisoned slab for your reading pleasure or is it still a raw ungraded copy that has yet to cross a grading table?  ???

It's an 8.0 with a tear seal.

41 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

It's an 8.0 with a tear seal.

Forgot to take a look at the Restored part of the census. doh!   Of course, a tear seal is very easy to shall we say, have it unrestored.  :wink:

From a strict front cover visual appearance without having the actual book in hand, it certainly seems to present much nicer than a VF 8.0 grade.  (shrug)

BTW:  That pencilled in "S" mark seems very familiar and I believe this book might have come from a collection in the late 80's with a HG run of these very early pre-hero DC New Comics.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

BTW:  That pencilled in "S" mark seems very familiar and I believe this book might have come from a collection in the late 80's with a HG run of these very early pre-hero DC New Comics.  hm

The penciled "S" books include many of the nicest copies of the New/New Adventure/Adventure pre-hero books.  

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Just took a quick look at the CGC census and there's only 3 graded copies of this particular book here.  One in CGC 9.2 NM- with the other 2 copies substantailly lower at CGC 5.5 and CGC 2.5 grades. 

The CGC 5.5 copy of New Comics 4 is the Lost Valley copy, but the book should no longer be on the Census as it was damaged when loaned out to DC to photograph.

RHG’s copy is an exceptional beauty...:cloud9:

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The CGC 5.5 copy of New Comics 4 is the Lost Valley copy, but the book should no longer be on the Census as it was damaged when loaned out to DC to photograph.

RHG’s copy is an exceptional beauty...:cloud9:

I would certainly have second thoughts about loaning out a super rare book like New Comics 4.  hm

Especially to a large comic book comglomerate like DC who probably doesn't have the same appreciation for it as a true comic book collector.  :mad:  :censored:

I would certainly hope that DC made some financial compensation to the collector for the damage incurred to the book.  :wishluck:

Definitely cannot argue with you about the sheer beauty of RHG's copy here.  (thumbsu

12 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

The penciled "S" books include many of the nicest copies of the New/New Adventure/Adventure pre-hero books.  

Any reason why you did not bothered to pick up the New Comics 2 since it is supposedly the rarest out of this run of rare books or did you already have a copy?  ???

Especially if it's in grade as the CGC census indicates only 5 Universal copies, with all 5 in CGC 2.0 or lower.  hm

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any reason why you did not bothered to pick up the New Comics 2 since it is supposedly the rarest out of this run of rare books or did you already have a copy?  ???

Especially if it's in grade as the CGC census indicates only 5 Universal copies, with all 5 in CGC 2.0 or lower.  hm

I never had the opportunity to buy the "S" copy or any other copy of New Comics #2 that was above 2.0.  The nicer looking copies are all restored (not that there's anything wrong with that).