• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would certainly have second thoughts about loaning out a super rare book like New Comics 4.  hm

Especially to a large comic book comglomerate like DC who probably doesn't have the same appreciation for it as a true comic book collector.  :mad:  :censored:

I would certainly hope that DC made some financial compensation to the collector for the damage incurred to the book.  :wishluck:

DC needed the New Comics 4 for the epic Taschen book, Jon Berk made the request so I agreed. Despite multiple admonitions they (and their photographer) obviously dropped the ball. Lesson learned.

35 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

DC needed the New Comics 4 for the epic Taschen book, Jon Berk made the request so I agreed. Despite multiple admonitions they (and their photographer) obviously dropped the ball. Lesson learned.

Definitely a sad and upsetting story as DC certainly did dropped the ball with respect to your book here.  :frown: 

Is this the Taschen book which you are referring to here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx6uWt8klIY

Did they even used the book in the end as it's hard to tell from this YouTube video here?  ???

Hopefully, they sent you a complimentary copy of the Taschen book at least for all of your troubles. :wishluck:

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

The penciled "S" books include many of the nicest copies of the New/New Adventure/Adventure pre-hero books.  

Any idea if all of them had the pencilled "S" on the covers or were they only on some of the books, but not necessarily all of them?  ???

Were these also the ones that Mark Wilson had acquired and then subsequently sold off back in the very late 80's or thereabouts?  hm

25 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if all of them had the pencilled "S" on the covers or were they only on some of the books, but not necessarily all of them?  ???

Were these also the ones that Mark Wilson had acquired and then subsequently sold off back in the very late 80's or thereabouts?  hm

Yes, my understanding is that the whole collection had the penciled "S".  Here are some more examples:

Wowzers, that's an absolutely amazing group of pre-hero books you have here.  :cloud9:

Any idea if the original owner had the entire early run of these New Comics and New Adventure Comics in the collection and if there were also any of the other pre-hero DC runs like New Fun and the early More Fun's in there?  hm  :wishluck:

Did you purchased all of these raw or were they all graded copies which you have simply released from their emtombed slabs?  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I purchased all of them raw, most decades before CGC.  Yes, the penciled "S" collection spanned other DC titles, including pre-hero More Funs and Detectives.  I don't believe there are any New Funs in the collection.  The earliest issue is probably this one:

NewComics1.JPG

Considering that's a book from way back in the extremely tough to find1935 time period, it certainly presents very nicely for its age.  :luhv:

Definitely beats the relatively crapola copy that I have which I certainly can't complain about though.  Especially since it came from a collection that also contained relatively nice copies of the first 2 recognized comic books (i.e. Funnies on Parade and Famous Funnies, A Carnival of Comics) that were published way back in 1933.  :cloud9:

Sad to see that these pioneer and much under appreciated early pre-hero books have fallen quite far behind in the marketplace and almost forgotten, as compared to the early super hero books and classic cover books which most of the collectors and speculators/investors are chasing after nowadays. :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/27/2019 at 10:10 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks to one of my favorite Boardies, I was finally able to get a book I've coveted for a long time.  I love this cover!

Adv.49(MH).jpg

WoW! This is a beauty! A great Shelly cover and the only "pre-hero" cover to not have the "above logo cover date" which has always made it sorta special to me. To cap it all off …. it's a Church copy with white pages!!! Spectacular copy RHG, just a blazer!!!

4 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Yes, my understanding is that the whole collection had the penciled "S".  Here are some more examples:

NewComics8.JPG

NewComics9.jpg

NewAdv.13.jpg

NewAdv.15.jpg

NewAdv.31.JPG

These are in remarkable condition!!! You'd blow the census up BIG TIME if you had them graded (not that I'm suggesting that you should). I've always been taken with the New Comics portion of the run and have owned several over the years. So early … simple humor covers with a nice mix of stories hidden inside. Tough to find in nice grade …. unless you go to RHG's place. :) 

19 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

My earliest New Comics issue, the #2. I would have liked to find a higher grade copy, but there isn't much out there. I have been considering sending if off to Matt for some conservation and having the spine split sealed professionally. Taboo to most, I know, but it'd be SO much more book in hand, ESPECIALLY with first generation holder off white to white pages! They might be considered straight white these days. I'm glad to see that there are at least a few collectors on here that dig these early gems. The very foundation of DC Comics and they are largely ignored these days.

New Comics #2 1.5 front.jpg

After Susan C. fixed up my Lost Valley New Comics 4 (discussed upstream), I certainly handled the book with a lot more confidence while feeling good about preserving the book.

With those ow-w pages on your New Comics 2, if conserved that book is really going to have ‘legs’. I say do it!

23 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

My earliest New Comics issue, the #2. I would have liked to find a higher grade copy, but there isn't much out there.

Well, here's the current highest graded Universal copy of New Comics which came out from the Billy Wright pedigree collection:

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, New Comics #2 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1936) CGC GD 2.0 Off-white to white pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/new-comics-2-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1936-cgc-gd-20-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91110.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Auctioned off at Heritage along with the rest of the Billy Wright books back in February of 2012 for $3,107 or about 2.5X condition guide as Good valuation at the time was only $1,229.  Thank goodness Overstreet has kept up with the times as the current valuation for this book in Good condition has now been raised up all the way to an astronomical $1,333 in this year's edition of the guide.  :screwy:

Well, have to admit he probably doesn't have much data to go on, since this looks like the only universal unrestored copy that shows up as selling in a public auction site.  I know the Jon Berk copy is also a restored copy, but did you pick up your CGC 1.5 unrestored graded copy through a public auction since CC's website is down for a complete revamp and CL has no archive of any kind?  :frustrated:

I guess it's only a matter of time before another universal unrestored copy comes to market and we get a better idea of its current valuation in the real marketplace.  :taptaptap:

23 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
On 12/31/2019 at 1:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Any reason why you did not bothered to pick up the New Comics 2 since it is supposedly the rarest out of this run of rare books or did you already have a copy?  ???

Especially if it's in grade as the CGC census indicates only 5 Universal copies, with all 5 in CGC 2.0 or lower.  hm

I never had the opportunity to buy the "S" copy or any other copy of New Comics #2 that was above 2.0.  The nicer looking copies are all restored (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I still remember reading Gary Carter's excellent article, "DC Before Superman", in the 13th edition of the Overstreet Price Guide, multiple times over the years before eventually getting into GA collecting near the end of the 80's.  Being primarily a BA to MA collector at the time, I was absolutely taken aback by the seeming rarity of these pre-hero DC books, and in particular, New Fun Comics 2 and New Comics 2 which Gary had highlighted as being the rarest copy in their individual runs.  :cloud9:

So, I guess it's no real surprise that the New Comics 2 would have been one of the first issues snapped up out of this "S" run of New/New Adventure/Adventure series of comic books.  Especially considering how nice and relatively high grade all of these "S" copies appear to be.  Needless to say, it certainly would have looked nice with the rest of the "S" copies which you have in your personal collection.  (thumbsu

Yes, nothing at all wrong with restoration when it comes to these real hard to find books.  I still remember picking up my restored copy of New Fun 2 about 15 or 20 years ago and was actually happy that it had some work done on it.  For sure if it had been an unrestored copy in that type of mid-grade condition, I never would have been able to afford a copy at all.  :bigsmile:

On 12/31/2019 at 3:43 PM, lou_fine said:

I would certainly have second thoughts about loaning out a super rare book like New Comics 4.  hm

Especially to a large comic book comglomerate like DC who probably doesn't have the same appreciation for it as a true comic book collector.  :mad:  :censored:

I would certainly hope that DC made some financial compensation to the collector for the damage incurred to the book.  :wishluck:

Definitely cannot argue with you about the sheer beauty of RHG's copy here.  (thumbsu

You are wise not to loan out books to any company.  I gave Eclipse the Windy City copy of Teenage Dope Slaves and they literally destroyed it.  it came back in pieces.  They sent me a note of apology, $200 and credit in their reprint.  Big deal.

1 hour ago, Moondog said:

You are wise not to loan out books to any company.  I gave Eclipse the Windy City copy of Teenage Dope Slaves and they literally destroyed it.  it came back in pieces.  They sent me a note of apology, $200 and credit in their reprint.  Big deal.

Was this process something similar to Greg Theakston's process which became known as "Theakstonization" or something like that?  hm

A process whereby the original comic book would literally be destroyed with the colors toally bleached out in order to facilitate the reprinting process.  :(  :censored: