• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,762 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I managed to get my hands on both of the underwater books that I want from this run.

20190504_125741.jpg

Now, this New Adventure 27 has an absolutely gorgeous shark cover and a true scarcity of a book that doesn't show up in the marketplace very often.  :luhv:

Looks like there's quite a few of these New Adventure Comics that's actually quite tough to find.  :takeit:

On 1/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, Frisco Larson said:
On 1/9/2020 at 9:55 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Interestingly, #15 has by far the fewest copies of any Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics in the CGC census.  Although it doesn't get as much notoriety as #2, #26 and #27, it may be even more rare.

I never see it for sale and it's one of my favorites. Another I never see is the 17 and a quick census check puts it right behind the 15 as second rarest in all categories, universal, qualified and restored at only 7. The 17 is nowhere near my favorite, just one that I don't ever see offered.

Yes, the CGC census would confirm that NA 15 is indeed the rarest of the lot and wins the Gold by a long shot with only 2 Universal mid-grade copies graded to date, along with a third being a restored copy.  (thumbsu

New Adventure 17 grabs the Silver with only 3 Universal copies, but has another Qualified along with a further 2 restored copies for a grand total of 7 copies.

It then looks like a neck and neck race for the Bronze between NA 12 and NA 28 with both having 5 Universal copies, but NA 28 by a nose with just 2 restored copies versus 3 restored copies for NA 12.  Any idea how rare these 2 books are and how often they tend to show up, especially with respect to NA 12 since Heritage indicates only 1 previous sale of this book whioch was way back in 2005?  hm

Surprisingly, it looks like NA 13 which Overstreet designates as Rare and both NA 26 and 27 which are also broken out by Overstreet as being Rare and both with huge valuations (i.e. multiples higher than all of the other issues) comes in with noticeably higher census numbers.  Of course, it's pretty tough to beat those 2 more adventure theme cover images for both NA 26 and 27, especially with respect to the classic underwater shark cover on NA 27.  :luhv:  :takeit:

You gents would certainly know better than I, but is the CGC census really the best indicator of the rarity of these types of comics? I’d think that a good percentage of them would be in the hands of the oldest-school collectors; guys that maybe aren’t slabbing their stuff.
Or has a surge in pre hero DC popularity changed that?

2 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

You gents would certainly know better than I, but is the CGC census really the best indicator of the rarity of these types of comics?

I have always view the usefulness of the CGC population census report as an indicator of relative scarcity only, as opposed to absolute scarcity.  (thumbsu

Especially since the large majority of books are still residing as raw copies in the private collections of long term collectors.  From my own personal point of view, this would apply not only to these types of early HTF pre-hero books as you have alluded to, but also to more recent high demand more common books like AF 15, Hulk 181, etc.  hm

15 hours ago, ender said:

Feel luck to have found this. It has no staples but this kid must have had a compulsion to use every bit of masking tape he had to keep this book together.

3EE938B7-E80D-48FB-89A4-5F4FA6776DA7.jpeg

:whatthe: That's Goldenage Tape:takeit:

On 3/3/2014 at 8:04 AM, Joe All Star said:

adventure34cvr.jpg

This is the original art to Adventure 34. It seems appropriate in that this was part of the same portfolio that contained the cover of Action 15 which was recently sold. That cover was in my collection for over 25 years. I am fortunate enough to still have this one.

Jon...you are the best buddy!

Joe

:x

6 hours ago, Primetime said:
On 3/3/2014 at 8:04 AM, Joe All Star said:

adventure34cvr.jpg

This is the original art to Adventure 34. It seems appropriate in that this was part of the same portfolio that contained the cover of Action 15 which was recently sold. That cover was in my collection for over 25 years. I am fortunate enough to still have this one.

Jon...you are the best buddy!

Joe

:x

Wowzers, an absolutely beautiful piece of original art.  :luhv:

Although this piece lacks the instant character recognition that comes with the Action 15 cover artwork, this Adventure 34 cover image is a superior piece of artwork from my own personal point of view.    :takeit:except for the fact that I would never be able to afford it.  :frown:

Artist highlights from New Comics (1936-1946):

Serene Summerfield (New Comics #5):

Summerfieldnewcomics5.jpg

DickRyan (New Comics #8):

aXEgnsNMg9i4L2Oz5cZ0KoFePKPgbYapu9gYnbG2

Joe Shuster (New Comics #10):

NEWCOMICS_10.jpg

Sven Elven (New Adventure Comics #13):

52.jpg

Munson Paddock (New Adventure Comics #24):

o_bfsnVZnABUzhX4uqJzlQMRyXPEtzim8mq9Ud4P

Tom Hickey (New Adventure Comics #30):

318b9w0aaRAKNcsvtT7E1_-V5lnKcak-68YgP0Wp

Creig Flessel (Adventure Comics #70):

kJhcUgY0HnB68x6LbZNzo03tr7halhiNGTnyjl5w

Mort Meskin (Adventure Comics #81):

ty-jgOuaP-0f-kOEkhgAXHD_MHcTK9yxTPEYukkD

Gil Kane (Adventure Comics #102):

1jFJsRTvpZHMlvLZpddGURAdHVDnToem0Yutr3BU

Edited by Electricmastro

23 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

One of the pair of Adventure 37s has since been slabbed and was the first 6.5 graded at CGC (another 6.5 has since been graded as well).

C381E5FD-FD43-4D81-B25B-764583E81455.jpeg

Feel free to post the slabbed Adventure 37 over in the Flanagan Thread!!!  Both of those are beauties.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:18 PM, Electricmastro said:

Joe Shuster (New Comics #10):

NEWCOMICS_10.jpg

Mort Meskin (Adventure Comics #81):

ty-jgOuaP-0f-kOEkhgAXHD_MHcTK9yxTPEYukkD

Boy these two images really caught my eye. Makes me wonder where Shuster would have ended up if his eyesight didn't go out.

And that Meskin page is really pretty. In fact those star fields look to me like they influenced Kirby!