• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,762 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Jack Kirby's first DC cover.

Adv.73(8.0).jpg

Have always absolutely loved this classic Simon & Kirby cover with the bold green and red colors, plus the fact that it's almost 3-D like from a perspective point of view with the Manhunter seemingly stepping right out from the front cover.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Sad to say though and rather hard to understand why, but unlike other GA classic cover books though, this book has pretty much gone absolutely nowhere from a relative valuation point of view over the past few decades.  :(

6 hours ago, Simon Comics said:

To continue this brief conversation, I convinced my father to buy this recreation that Joe did in the late 80’s to early 90’s when it came up for sale. One of my favorite Simon and Kirby covers 

31A5D9F8-799F-48DA-9C57-17A43ABA039B.jpeg

I love those. And he did really great work on that one. The colors, wow.

On 9/22/2007 at 12:01 AM, innocuous said:

I posted this one several months ago when I first got it. I sent it in to CGC recently because I was going to sell it to cover a big expense in the CL auction. Well, that's not going to happen, but, it arrived today, so here it is anyway in all its slabbed glory.

44903-newadventureCGC.jpg.53e86c01fcf06d8f0979446a784f5e52.jpg

@Socratic Wonderposted a NA for sale yesterday and it got me feeling nostalgic. I scrolled through many pages to find this. 

Almost 14 years later and I have so much regret for my foolish younger self for slabbing it and letting this go. 

On 3/16/2021 at 6:20 AM, goldenacase said:

I sold this on the boards 8 years ago and was able to purchase same book back yesterday from the boardie that purchased it!....so lets give this thread a bump:banana:

adv1.4925a-2.jpg

Wow -- that's a cover you sure don't see every day!

On 5/25/2021 at 1:12 AM, Primetime said:

A4DEBF78-E339-427F-8E50-98D93C24471C.jpeg

Awesome foursome, Ben! (thumbsu

Adventure is such a cool GA title. One my all time favorites for sure. The sweet spot to me is issues 61-79. Wonderful covers and interiors with three big characters to boot! So much for one thin dime. They've been under valued for years if you ask me. 

On 3/21/2021 at 12:13 AM, lou_fine said:

Sad to say though and rather hard to understand why, but unlike other GA classic cover books though, this book has pretty much gone absolutely nowhere from a relative valuation point of view over the past few decades.  :(

I've never regarded this issue as worthy of classic cover prices mainly because I absolutely hate that it didn't use the proper Manhunter blue faceplate - rather just some generic mask. It is especially egregious when you consider the line art inside had him with the correct mask, but it was then coloured to match the cover mask (red ink overlapping the line art).

I hope to find a coverless copy of this book one day so I can make a 'corrected' custom of it for my collection.

I've only got 14 pre-code issues of Adventure, my collection doesn't get serious until #247 and still has gaps throughout the 10c era.  I've got every issue with a 12c and up price, though!

Here's a few covers, if I showed some of them further back in the thread I apologize.

I think the Adventure #65 may have been my first big logo DC book.

Adventure_065.jpg

Adventure_082.jpg

Adventure_085.jpg

34 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

That's a Shining Knight issue they accidentally stuck Superboy on the cover of.  Frazetta art inside!

I'd like you to show me an Adventure issue that has a Superboy story AND a Shining Knight cover...hm

I've had that book since the early 70s.  I'm well aware of the Frazetta art inside...:gossip: but thanks for pointing it out to me...:roflmao:

54 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I'd like you to show me an Adventure issue that has a Superboy story AND a Shining Knight cover...hm

I've had that book since the early 70s.  I'm well aware of the Frazetta art inside...:gossip: but thanks for pointing it out to me...:roflmao:

I never doubted that you knew.  I still think getting Frazetta to do the interiors but not the cover was a missed opportunity for DC back then.

I still need to track down a copy of Adventure #150, I have the rest of the Frazetta issues...

20 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I never doubted that you knew.  I still think getting Frazetta to do the interiors but not the cover was a missed opportunity for DC back then.

I still need to track down a copy of Adventure #150, I have the rest of the Frazetta issues...

You know I was just messin' with ya, right?  :baiting:  I used to have #150, but I sold it about 20 years ago.