• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

Ok, so not a lot of interest in #35. That's fine, moving on to another Flessel.....

Adventure #36 is one of my favorites. I can imagine being a kid looking at this cover in amazement.

Must've been pretty cool to see something like this in a time with no color TV's. This was cutting edge entertainment.

adventure36.jpg

Wow, another NA cover that I'd never seen before. This one has just rocketed up in my list of favorite Flessel covers! 893applaud-thumb.gif

If folks want to see more of the New Comics humor covers, let me know (I have most of them). Otherwise, I will move on to some of the Flessel covers.

I am reminded of the line by the Caribbean woman at the end of the movie "Trading Places," who, when asked by Coleman whether she wants the lobster or the cracked crab for lunch, replied, "Can't we have both?" 893crossfingers-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Okay, I'll post a couple more of the humor covers since Centaurman is posting so many Flessels.

Here is New Comics #10:

1414104-NewComics10%28LV%29%282%29.jpg

First, I am really enjoying these threads!

Second, what makes the #10 a killer book to me is that the cover is such an epically bad example of marketing. What target audience could the editors/artist possibly have been trying to reach? How does the theme help sell "mystery!, thrills!, and adventure!"? The more you analyze the cover, the worse it gets. Still, the text reflects a dawning understanding of what the market wanted that makes it stand out from other contemporary humor books. I love the 1935-40 period for this mixture of ingenious and horrible ideas that eventually led to the modern comic book format and think a lot higher of the runs that dared to experiment, take risks, and fail than the bland ones that never evolved. To me, this process is considerably more interesting than the later evolution of superheroes. I can see why collectors are attracted to Action, Superman, Batman etc., but from a historical point of view More Fun and Adventure are much more compelling titles. Seeing early examples in this condition is just awesome!

Wonderful, wonderful thread - thanks to RHG for getting things going.

This is the last non-superhero cover (Moldoff) of the period. What is of note for me is that I used to own the Mile High... then the Larson, and now... the Nova Scotia - enjoy!

100_0955.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

Wonderful, wonderful thread - thanks to RHG for getting things going.

This is the last non-superhero cover (Moldoff) of the period. What is of note for me is that I used to own the Mile High... then the Larson, and now... the Nova Scotia - enjoy!

Now all you need to do is get the Reilly (San Francisco) copy for a clean sweep.

Beautiful book; I have always really liked that cover.

First, I am really enjoying these threads!

Second, what makes the #10 a killer book to me is that the cover is such an epically bad example of marketing. What target audience could the editors/artist possibly have been trying to reach? How does the theme help sell "mystery!, thrills!, and adventure!"? The more you analyze the cover, the worse it gets. Still, the text reflects a dawning understanding of what the market wanted that makes it stand out from other contemporary humor books. I love the 1935-40 period for this mixture of ingenious and horrible ideas that eventually led to the modern comic book format and think a lot higher of the runs that dared to experiment, take risks, and fail than the bland ones that never evolved. To me, this process is considerably more interesting than the later evolution of superheroes. I can see why collectors are attracted to Action, Superman, Batman etc., but from a historical point of view More Fun and Adventure are much more compelling titles. Seeing early examples in this condition is just awesome!

Hkp, what you describe is one of the reasons that I find these old covers charming.

Here is another silly cover that proclaims "Mystery! Thrills! Adventure!", issue #6:

1415849-NewComics6%282%29.JPG

1415849-NewComics6(2).JPG.a6193ad167c423833a677ae1467f626e.JPG

Edited by RareHighGrade

It's crazy how the Ellsworth humor covers grind this thread to a halt. While those aren't the most visually appealing books, they so freaking early in the development of comics that they're fascinating to me. The interiors are cool for the same reason. Lots of experimentation going on back then. A full set of New Comics #1-#11 would be a hell of a challenge. (Of course, that's still much easier than the run of New Adventures from #12-#31).

Here's Adventure Comics #38. The GCD credits Flessel with this one, although it looks kind of like O'Mealia to me.

adventure38.jpg

Again, I don't have a lot of mine scanned yet, but here are a few. I absolutely LOVE this run of covers. I consider these books to be the pinnacle of the early Golden Age.

adventure24.jpg

Win that is a beautiful #24. The pages look bone white. Is it a pedigree?

Lovely book, Win - did you happen to purchase it within the last few years (from Motor City, perhaps)?

STEVE Got Larson?

I am not sure if you are the one who PMed Win, but I checked the book out and it is indeed the Cosmic Aeroplane copy. It has some interior check marks and numbers in pencil next to a couple of panels. Sharp eye!

Again, I don't have a lot of mine scanned yet, but here are a few. I absolutely LOVE this run of covers. I consider these books to be the pinnacle of the early Golden Age.

adventure24.jpg

Lovely book, Win - did you happen to purchase it within the last few years (from Motor City, perhaps)?

STEVE Got Larson?

I am not sure if you are the one who PMed Win, but I checked the book out and it is indeed the Cosmic Aeroplane copy. It has some interior check marks and numbers in pencil next to a couple of panels. Sharp eye!

acclaim.gifyay.gif

STEVE Got Larson?

Yes, it was me - glad to be of service!

STEVE Got Larson?

This issue has been posted here previously by someone else, but I thought I'd chime in with my newly-acquired copy (looks better in person - sorry for the poor scan). This has to be one of my all time favorites:

Adventure375.jpg

takeit.gif