• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 questions
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Very high on my wantlist right now is a copy of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1. My question is, what is more universally accepted as the 1st appearance of The Sub-Mariner--- MP Funnies #1, Human Torch #1, or Marvel Comics #1? Also, how often do the MP Funnies #1 surface, since there are only 9? known copies?

Edited by showcase-4

Well, Marvel #1 is the first newsstand appearance of Subby, so it is the more universally accepted first appearance. MPFW is the first actual appearance. I've seen it pop up for sale every so often. But not too frequently.

I have a friend who has amassed the entire Timely superhero collection. Every appearance of every Timely superhero character ever printed. But, for some odd reason he excludes a couple of books from his set by choice. MPFW is one of those books. The Timely annuals are the other exclusions. Maddening to me...

Well, Marvel #1 is the first newsstand appearance of Subby, so it is the more universally accepted first appearance. MPFW is the first actual appearance. I've seen it pop up for sale every so often. But not too frequently.

I have a friend who has amassed the entire Timely superhero collection. Every appearance of every Timely superhero character ever printed. But, for some odd reason he excludes a couple of books from his set by choice. MPFW is one of those books. The Timely annuals are the other exclusions. Maddening to me...

ahhhhh...I see. Well if you were to ask 100 seasoned GA collectors what is the 1st appearance of Subby, how many would pick MPFW, and how many would pick Marvel #1? ( roughly )

ahhhhh...I see. Well if you were to ask 100 seasoned GA collectors what is the 1st appearance of Subby, how many would pick MPFW, and how many would pick Marvel #1? ( roughly )

If they were being honest they would say MPFW. Most would much rather have the Marvel #1 though..

I'd like both, because:

A. I am a completist

B. I'm greedy when it comes to Golden Age, especially Subby!

"Even though it was Funnies, Inc's first publishing venture, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly would have remained an insignificant book were it not for the presence of the Sub-Mariner's origin, its earliest appearance in print."

"Bill Everett's Sub-Mariner origin was reprinted there [Marvel #1], perhaps without Goodman knowing it was a reprint, with four new pages and color added (over the black-and-white benday, giving it a rather murky look)."

- George Olshevsky "The Origin of Marvel Comics"

There's no question Subby's first appearance is MPFW. His appearance in Marvel Comics #1 is a reprint with extra pages & color added (I suppose 2nd appearance).

Bill,

We had a discussion on complete Timely collections after the Timely checklist Alter Ego issue came out, where Michelle Nolan noted in the issue that the only know complete collection was George O's collection from a long time ago. No one on the list could come up with a current complete collection. Can you share your thougnts/experience. Thanks.

Thank you all for your input...this is good stuff! One of the appeals of MPFW is that it contains the combo of: 10 or less copies (truly rare), introduces a key character, is pre-war, and has an interesting history behind it ( the whole found in the Publishers estate in 1974, and was distributed at Boston are movie theatres background is facinating to me).

Can you think of other GA books that may have a similar combo of characteristics?

Especially by MLJ ?( love those things! )

Bill,

We had a discussion on complete Timely collections after the Timely checklist Alter Ego issue came out, where Michelle Nolan noted in the issue that the only know complete collection was George O's collection from a long time ago. No one on the list could come up with a current complete collection. Can you share your thougnts/experience. Thanks.

A very close friend of mine, who lives in Louisiana has the complete set. He is often seen in my company at the Chicago Con. Perhaps he would object to me listing his name in a public forum. I'll leave it to him to announce his presence. He lurks here from time to time.

It is quite a sight to behold when he puts them all out for display and fondling on my frequent visits to his house.

I did own a copy of MPFW from 1995 to 2000..

I bought my copy from John Mcqlafhlin in 1995[the Book Sail]. [[NOT SALE]]

It was a V.F-...cream pages. At the time I picked it up for 8g at the San Diego Comic Con.

While this book is rare[less than 10 copies] It does come up for sale every few years for some reason. Ive certainly seen this book up for sale 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years. If there is a will there is a way.This book is NOT impossible to get.

I did own a copy of MPFW from 1995 to 2000..

I bought my copy from John Mcqlafhlin in 1995[the Book Sail]. [[NOT SALE]]

It was a V.F-...cream pages. At the time I picked it up for 8g at the San Diego Comic Con.

While this book is rare[less than 10 copies] It does come up for sale every few years for some reason. Ive certainly seen this book up for sale 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years. If there is a will there is a way.This book is NOT impossible to get.

thanks..I REALLY want a copy of this book, so it's encouraging to know that every few years or so it pops up for sale. I have previously focused on 1937 and earlier comics, and I'm leaning towards expanding that time frame to 1942. As you know, a whole bunch of great stuff came out between 1938 and 1942...so I'm beefing up my knowledge for this 5 year time span.

Aside from Superman and Batman as the obvious kings of kings, I would like to know how The Sub-Mariner as a character ranks with regard to demand and sustained popularity amongst others from the immediate era like Captain America, The Green Lantern, The Sandman, The Human Torch, etc etc. Is Subby right up there at the top of the list?

Edited by showcase-4

Yes. My personal opinion is that The Submariner is at the very top of the list of Timely Superheros , Right there with Cap, human torch and the other Timely characters. The only characters I would say are more popular for sure would be Superman Batman and Spiderman.

If I were to find myself with the wherewithall to amass a complete Timely superhero collection (an attractive goal), I would have little interest in MPFW #1. It's not a Timely, it's not a newstand comic, and was either barely distributed or not at all. An interesting piece of comic book history no doubt, but MPFW #1 has an appeal more in line with novelties such as the "Reign of the Superman" fanzine story, or the Ka-Zar pulps, than it might to Timely completists.

The Annuals at least look like Timelys, and they appeal to me, but seeing how there is no evidence that they are anything more than reprints for Canadian distribution, I can see a Timely collector ignoring them.

I would have little interest in MPFW #1. It's not a Timely, it's not a newstand comic, and was either barely distributed or not at all. An interesting piece of comic book history no doubt, but MPFW #1 has an appeal more in line with novelties such as the "Reign of the Superman" fanzine story, or the Ka-Zar pulps, than it might to Timely completists.

I find it interesting that you used this comparison ..wouldn't MPFW be very desirable regardless of its "Boston Theatres only" distribution, since it is a comic book? "Reign of the Superman" was a fanzine...so I can see why it could be considered a novelty compared to Action #1. It does not appear that MPFW would be a novelty compared to Marvel #1, as they are apples to apples -- both comic books.

I would have little interest in MPFW #1. It's not a Timely, it's not a newstand comic, and was either barely distributed or not at all. An interesting piece of comic book history no doubt, but MPFW #1 has an appeal more in line with novelties such as the "Reign of the Superman" fanzine story, or the Ka-Zar pulps, than it might to Timely completists.

I find it interesting that you used this comparison ..wouldn't MPFW be very desirable regardless of its "Boston Theatres only" distribution, since it is a comic book? "Reign of the Superman" was a fanzine...so I can see why it could be considered a novelty compared to Action #1. It does not appear that MPFW would be a novelty compared to Marvel #1, as they are apples to apples -- both comic books.

I assure you this is not the consensus view on MPFW. It is a VERY important comicbook!

Both comics, but not both Timelys. The Subby appearance makes it a significant piece of comic history I agree. My comparison was meant to illustrate the reason why a Timely collector might choose to disregard it. A Sub-mariner fan would likely consider MPFW #1 a grail, much the same as a DC collector might not care about the "Reign of the Superman" story, or even feel a need to collect DC related giveaways, but a Superman fan might covet the sci-fi fanzine and all the Superman/Tim giveaways.