• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 questions
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Well, Marvel #1 is the first newsstand appearance of Subby, so it is the more universally accepted first appearance. MPFW is the first actual appearance. I've seen it pop up for sale every so often. But not too frequently.

I have a friend who has amassed the entire Timely superhero collection. Every appearance of every Timely superhero character ever printed. But, for some odd reason he excludes a couple of books from his set by choice. MPFW is one of those books. The Timely annuals are the other exclusions. Maddening to me...

If I were to find myself with the wherewithall to amass a complete Timely superhero collection (an attractive goal), I would have little interest in MPFW #1. It's not a Timely, it's not a newstand comic, and was either barely distributed or not at all. An interesting piece of comic book history no doubt, but MPFW #1 has an appeal more in line with novelties such as the "Reign of the Superman" fanzine story, or the Ka-Zar pulps, than it might to Timely completists.

The Annuals at least look like Timelys, and they appeal to me, but seeing how there is no evidence that they are anything more than reprints for Canadian distribution, I can see a Timely collector ignoring them.

That is exactly how he feels. But I just disagree. If the guy in MPFW was called Fish Man or something like that, then fine blow it off. But it was Namor, the Submariner. Marvel #1 reprints the story and adds some pages. I would love to have a copy of both MPFW and Marvel #1. Two of the only books I have wanted badly and never owned. Just as an aside, the other two books are Detective #1 and Whiz #1. The latter I really am not as keen on as I once was.

Well, Marvel #1 is the first newsstand appearance of Subby, so it is the more universally accepted first appearance. MPFW is the first actual appearance. I've seen it pop up for sale every so often. But not too frequently.

I have a friend who has amassed the entire Timely superhero collection. Every appearance of every Timely superhero character ever printed. But, for some odd reason he excludes a couple of books from his set by choice. MPFW is one of those books. The Timely annuals are the other exclusions. Maddening to me...

If I were to find myself with the wherewithall to amass a complete Timely superhero collection (an attractive goal), I would have little interest in MPFW #1. It's not a Timely, it's not a newstand comic, and was either barely distributed or not at all. An interesting piece of comic book history no doubt, but MPFW #1 has an appeal more in line with novelties such as the "Reign of the Superman" fanzine story, or the Ka-Zar pulps, than it might to Timely completists.

The Annuals at least look like Timelys, and they appeal to me, but seeing how there is no evidence that they are anything more than reprints for Canadian distribution, I can see a Timely collector ignoring them.

That is exactly how he feels. But I just disagree. If the guy in MPFW was called Fish Man or something like that, then fine blow it off. But it was Namor, the Submariner. Marvel #1 reprints the story and adds some pages. I would love to have a copy of both MPFW and Marvel #1. Two of the only books I have wanted badly and never owned. Just as an aside, the other two books are Detective #1 and Whiz #1. The latter I really am not as keen on as I once was.

Bill, you keep proving that you are one OK dude as far as I'm concerned...and you like the same stuff as me..Detective Dan and Motion Picture Funnies Weekly ! wink.gif

It appears that the few MPFW's that have surfaced over the past few years had an average page quality of light cream to cream, yet the OPG lists 8 out of 9 as having brittle pages. Does anyone know where the apparently inaccurate claim of all but 1 copy having brittle pages comes from?

1421489-subby.jpg

I want this book so bad I can taste it !! hail.gif

1421489-subby.jpg.1c39fcf6543c8ecb3b19a4c8011bf527.jpg

Edited by showcase-4

The Pay Copy surfaced a good 15+ years after the other copies surfaced. It came with the Marvel #1, Silver Streak #1, an Amazing Man #5, and a couple of other non-key books. I still remember when the guy faxed me (remember when that was cutting edge technology?) a copy of the Marvel #1 cover and I saw the words "Pay Copy" on it and I had an inkling this might have been something special.

Bill, you keep proving that you are one OK dude as far as I'm concerned...and you like the same stuff as me..Detective Dan and Motion Picture Funnies Weekly ! wink.gif

It appears that the few MPFW's that have surfaced over the past few years had an average page quality of light cream to cream, yet the OPG lists 8 out of 9 as having brittle pages. Does anyone know where the apparently inaccurate claim of all but 1 copy having brittle pages comes from?

I've only seen two copies in person, but neither had brittle pages. If I find two, maybe we can make a deal for a Detective Dan?

grin.gifwink.gif

I've only seen two copies in person, but neither had brittle pages. If I find two, maybe we can make a deal for a Detective Dan?

grin.gifwink.gif

Detective Dan is a keeper, but as far as high quality trade bait, you find me a MPFW and I'll throw in some cash plus this:

1422455-reform.jpg

1422455-reform.jpg.b2e389f702279c250ff0cf2cf67b6174.jpg

Edited by showcase-4

I'm probably pushing my luck with this request, but does anyone have pics or scans of the 1st few panles/intro of Subby in MPFW that they can post? flowerred.gif I have seen the front and back cover many times over, but never an interior page image.

I'm probably pushing my luck with this request, but does anyone have pics or scans of the 1st few panles/intro of Subby in MPFW that they can post? flowerred.gif I have seen the front and back cover many times over, but never an interior page image.
Here's a tip. And I mean this nicely..

A lot of people were bothered by your last thread with a similiar title.

And I know that you talk about NUMEROUS things in one thread but if it's something specific that you are wanting to find out you're not getting into many households.

To improve the ratings on your broadcast, I recommend that you create a new thread with a title that asks

Seeking Scans of 1st panels/Submariner in MPFW

The people that might be able to help you the most aren't going to bother even looking in this thread. Good luck thumbsup2.gif

Here's a tip. And I mean this nicely..

A lot of people were bothered by your last thread with a similiar title.

And I know that you talk about NUMEROUS things in one thread but if it's something specific that you are wanting to find out you're not getting into many households.

To improve the ratings on your broadcast, I recommend that you create a new thread with a title that asks

Seeking Scans of 1st panels/Submariner in MPFW

The people that might be able to help you the most aren't going to bother even looking in this thread. Good luck thumbsup2.gif

Hey Mica,

My last thread was not in existence to win a popularity contest. I was seeking knowledge, and found it...so did a lot of other Boards members. I think YOU are the one who was bothered based on your attempts to encourage people to re-direct the discussion to Esquire's Platinum Age thread...a failed attempt at that. Unbeknownst to you, I recieved quite a few PM messages regarding the OO vs. Supes thread, and they were ALL positive...members found it educational, fun, serious, and thought provoking all at the same time, based on the collective responses that I received.

If you READ the 1st post of this thread, you will see that the name is in jest. Had you left my previous post alone, and not been a contributor to it being locked (a safe assumption), perhaps this thread would have been called "Motion Picture Funnies Weekly questions". This is a Golden Age thread in a Golden Age forum, and my questions are 100% limited to a Golden Age key book and other books like it.... it can be called whatever I want......thread naming does not have to meet Mica approval last time I checked, nor does it have to specifically match the subject of the thread.

The Boards are a double edge sword...they are a great place to get info and find popular opinion on various subjects, but with that comes the attacks and comments from class A jerks hiding behind their fake Boards name ( not directed at you ). Sometimes I think it's just not worth it...like when I read your post. Other days, I find the Boards to be a great thing to be a part of. Like it or not, I am now a part of this online community, and I'm here to stay. If my threads don't meet your approval.....there are plenty others to choose from.

Hey Mica,

My last thread was not in existence to win a popularity contest. I was seeking knowledge, and found it...so did a lot of other Boards members. I think YOU are the one who was bothered based on your attempts to encourage people to re-direct the discussion to Esquire's Platinum Age thread...a failed attempt at that.

Hello Steve. Yes I did try to get some of the non Obadiah related material redirected into better threads that would be beneficial to more viewers. confused-smiley-013.gif

At worst I was borderline on whether your book was a comic or not.

But to think that I was typing the same kinds of posts that other detractors were, is to lump everyone that doesn't toe your particular line into the same group and category. tongue.gif

I on occasion threw a wet blanket on the idea that people love Obadiah based upon your continual bumping that thread and then pointing to the page views. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Even then you'd be stretching it to imply that I was a pure antagonist.

In the same post I was recommending that the number of replies (which were many) was something to be more proud of. (so you see it was sort of positive) gossip.gifacclaim.gif

And throughout the thread you got better as a poster. (Especially when you weren't admittedly drinking tongue.gif )

In fact you're one of the better posters in this forum outside of that thread in other threads. 893applaud-thumb.gif (Inside the old thread you were awful.. frown.gif Sorry. frown.gif)

I was afraid you would take my post wrong. If anything Steve, I want you to post MORE. MORE SCANS MORE TEXT and MORE POSTS.

I merely thought you would have been better outside of the old thread. And this thread ain't too shabby either (another positive thingy being said by moi gossip.gif ) However I merely thought and suggested that you would be better off starting a different thread with a title that could get some great viewership. (How can asking you to start a thread be considered bad? confused.gif It's quite the opposite of "go away Steve" tongue.gif )

Unbeknownst to you, I recieved quite a few PM messages regarding the OO vs. Supes thread, and they were ALL positive...members found it educational, fun, serious, and thought provoking all at the same time, based on the collective responses that I received.
Good for you. thumbsup2.gif Yes this is a great place. I've enjoyed my PM's with Bob as well. gossip.gif

If you READ the 1st post of this thread, you will see that the name is in jest.
It was funny... and admittedly I did a double take when I saw it. 27_laughing.gif
Had you left my previous post alone, and not been a contributor to it being locked (a safe assumption), perhaps this thread would have been called "Motion Picture Funnies Weekly questions".
I'm flabbergasted. confused.gif As I recall there were a few posters calling for it to be locked. And it was a huge argument...the sheer number of good scans in it probably delayed its demise. confused-smiley-013.gif

I sure had a blast declaring it "completed" 27_laughing.gif And I guess you're holding a grudge about that. tongue.gif It might have flourished had it have gotten off to a better start.

But am I reading your post correctly that you say you WOULD have named a thread differently if something hadn't have happened?.... confused-smiley-013.gif

This is a Golden Age thread in a Golden Age forum, and my questions are 100% limited to a Golden Age key book and other books like it.... it can be called whatever I want......thread naming does not have to meet Mica approval last time I checked, nor does it have to specifically match the subject of the thread.
Sure. You are absolutely correct. Feels great to be correct. thumbsup2.gif .

I'm a big supporter of rights. And you have the right to call this thread "My vacation slides of the Grand Canyon". And I'll defend you. (I'd be wasting my time, but I'll defend you...for a while)

If you've ever used a search engine you may come to appreciate things being labeled accurately. And that's the rub Steve. When you search the Auctions for Obadiah (and we know you do) the last thing you want to see is Spiderman #500.

So isn't it in your best interests to have a thread asking specifically for this info on SubMariner? Show me how I'm wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif

The Boards are a double edge sword...they are a great place to get info
I had no idea.... do tell. popcorn.gif
and find popular opinion on various subjects,
Of course you may have to search in vain when things aren't titled right but hey.... 27_laughing.gif
but with that comes the attacks and comments from class A jerks hiding behind their fake Boards name ( not directed at you ).
Finally a shot fired over my shoulder. Thanks for the break in the duel. makepoint.gif
Sometimes I think it's just not worth it...like when I read your post.
Oooppss ricocheted tonofbricks.gif
Other days, I find the Boards to be a great thing to be a part of. Like it or not, I am now a part of this online community,
Like the McDonalds theme "I'm loving it" thumbsup2.gif
and I'm here to stay. If my threads don't meet your approval.....there are plenty others to choose from.
foreheadslap.gif I wish there were other threads made by you to choose from. Christo_pull_hair.gif That's what I've been saying.

Thank goodness you're not an Ambassador to China. Every helpful gesture would be misconstrued as a declaration of war. foreheadslap.gif

I'd tell you to have a nice day, but I don't think my insurance would cover it.

I'm really hoping you'll understand all of this. I keep trying cause every now and then even a blind squirrel can find a nut. I'm sure we'd have a great time outside of this forum perhaps at a place where you can get something with 90 Proof while I guzzle a Dr Pepper. Of course we'd need your interpreters to tag along to avoid any miscommunication. poke2.gif (Whenever this is used it's all in jest)

Send me a PM flowerred.gif

The Pay Copy surfaced a good 15+ years after the other copies surfaced. It came with the Marvel #1, Silver Streak #1, an Amazing Man #5, and a couple of other non-key books. I still remember when the guy faxed me (remember when that was cutting edge technology?) a copy of the Marvel #1 cover and I saw the words "Pay Copy" on it and I had an inkling this might have been something special.

Are "pay copy"s' floating around out there by many different publishers, or is a publisher who creates a pay copy as rare as these pay copies themselves?

Edited by showcase-4

Pay copies at Sothebys.

paycopysothebys.jpg

paycopysothebys2.jpg

Courtesy of FFB.

From OSPG 10...

1426447-MPFW1_Submariner_OSPG10.jpg

Best I got. confused-smiley-013.gif

1426447-MPFW1_Submariner_OSPG10.jpg.09c44da1eab3ae49faf540aba54f154d.jpg

Pay copies at Sothebys.

paycopysothebys.jpg

paycopysothebys2.jpg

Courtesy of FFB.

Thanks Norrin...these images are great thumbsup2.gif

check out the snow white back cover of Marvel #1....just amazing for a book that old !

That is very interesting, especially where it says that it's "extremely likely" Marvel Comics # 1 was printed first.

Someone quoted earlier: ""Even though it was Funnies, Inc's first publishing venture, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly would have remained an insignificant book were it not for the presence of the Sub-Mariner's origin, its earliest appearance in print."

Is this true in light of the conclusions the Committee in that write-up came to? Has more evidence surfaced since that was written? Or is the actual difference in the distribution time period and not the printing time period?

And does anyone have a better copy of what the Pay Copy looks like today?

1427100-marvelpay.jpg

1427100-marvelpay.jpg.4e2234171fffdcf89612848767e8a41d.jpg

Edited by infinite_comics