• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 questions
1 1

60 posts in this topic

And does anyone have a better copy of what the Pay Copy looks like today?

Never mind, I found it on Heritage:

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=819&Lot_No=2403&src=pr

Edit: And it looks like it sold for $150,000 less than Jay P bought it for, it that correct?

Edited by infinite_comics

I was all set to aggressively bid on the CGC 5.0 copy for sale in Heritage's upcoming Signature auction. I would love to add this beauty to my personal collection, especially since I own the covers to #2 - #4. Even the brittle pages did not deter me.

BUT, I'm sorry, I am not about to spend $33,460.00 (reserve price) in cash for this copy. I certainly recognize guide is really inapplicable for this particular book, but does anyone else actually think this is a reasonable price? 893whatthe.gif

I was all set to aggressively bid on the CGC 5.0 copy for sale in Heritage's upcoming Signature auction. I would love to add this beauty to my personal collection, especially since I own the covers to #2 - #4. Even the brittle pages did not deter me.

BUT, I'm sorry, I am not about to spend $33,460.00 (reserve price) in cash for this copy. I certainly recognize guide is really inapplicable for this particular book, but does anyone else actually think this is a reasonable price? 893whatthe.gif

I was offered privately about 2 months ago a raw F/VF MPFW #1 with stunning off-white to white pages for $35,000. Based on that, plus past sales that can be found in Heritage's archives, this copy seems to be priced about $10k too high.

Low $20k's feels right....not low $30k's

Steve

Those of you old enough to remember might recall how the controversy over this book began almost as soon as it was discovered. In the mid 1970's a well known east coast dealer acted as an agent for someone who had one for sale. The dealer, wanting to make a sale, looked at this as the actual first appearance of the Sub-mariner, and attempted to sell it as such. At the same time there was a young east coast collector who had managed to to collect the entire run of 92 Marvel Mystery Comics. As the owner of a Marvel Comics 1, but not the MPFW, he contended the first appearance was the Marvel. His feeling was MPFW never really came out and were merely file copies. (This collector received a lot of attention because of his appearance, along with some of his collection, on the nationally televised "Tomorrow" show with Tom Snyder.) This story really became interesting when the dealer and the collector went public with their argument in the Buyer's Guide. In a paid advertisement where the book was listed for sale ($5000), the dealer mentioned the collector in an unflattering manner by saying the person he was selling the book for did not wish to be "hounded by all the (collector's name)'s of the world." The collector retaliated in a letter to TBG claiming the dealer operated under the principle that HIS best comic book was automatically the most valuable, and the dealer's ad was a misrepresented rip-off. It would appear a lot of the questions being asked now about this book are the same questions that were asked then.

I don't know if this collector ever got his hands on one of the MFPW's, but it would have been interesting to see if he would have changed his mind if this happened.

Just so you don't have to login to Heritage to view it...

marvel1.jpg

I think I would along with a Cap #1 of same caliber would want this book more than any other. I used to dream of owning both in NM as a young boy in the late 70's early 80's. If I could have dreamed that it would be worth so much, either one of them I would have surely found a way to get my Dad to buy both. I remember trying to convince him to buy me a Cap 1 in 1981 for arouond 1500.00, I told him in 20 yrs it will be worth 20K. He thought I was right, but that was a lot of money and he said we couldn't afford to gamble like that for such a long term. That same book would be worth at least 85K or more today, it was so nice. Saw in one of those black and white auction books. I don't remember which one, but I went to bed with that stinking booklet for months dreaming of owning a Cap 1.

cloud9.gif

Edited by mr.schomburg

Those of you old enough to remember might recall how the controversy over this book began almost as soon as it was discovered. In the mid 1970's a well known east coast dealer acted as an agent for someone who had one for sale. The dealer, wanting to make a sale, looked at this as the actual first appearance of the Sub-mariner, and attempted to sell it as such. At the same time there was a young east coast collector who had managed to to collect the entire run of 92 Marvel Mystery Comics. As the owner of a Marvel Comics 1, but not the MPFW, he contended the first appearance was the Marvel. His feeling was MPFW never really came out and were merely file copies. (This collector received a lot of attention because of his appearance, along with some of his collection, on the nationally televised "Tomorrow" show with Tom Snyder.) This story really became interesting when the dealer and the collector went public with their argument in the Buyer's Guide. In a paid advertisement where the book was listed for sale ($5000), the dealer mentioned the collector in an unflattering manner by saying the person he was selling the book for did not wish to be "hounded by all the (collector's name)'s of the world." The collector retaliated in a letter to TBG claiming the dealer operated under the principle that HIS best comic book was automatically the most valuable, and the dealer's ad was a misrepresented rip-off. It would appear a lot of the questions being asked now about this book are the same questions that were asked then.

I don't know if this collector ever got his hands on one of the MFPW's, but it would have been interesting to see if he would have changed his mind if this happened.

I remember when all this went down, and I remember the Marvel Mystery collector's name too. I haven't heard of him for many years. I wonder if he's still in the hobby. Anyway, I was fascinated when this comic surfaced. I just wish the person who found them in the first place had given an exact count. It seems like over the years, the OPG has gone from listing 5 known copies to 9.

I am convinced that MPFW was the first "published" appearance and Marvel Comics the first distributed appearance.....here is a letter I wrote to Gary Carter way back when....also here is my copy and one of the four pieces of orginal art for the covers...

June 19, 1993

Dear Gary,

I’d like to add my two cents to the discussion about which came first Marvel Comics #1 or Motion Picture Funnies Weekly. In the Submariner story in MPFW the infamous box with the language “continued next week” appears. When reproduced in Marvel Comics #1 the language is omitted but the box remains. Does it not make sense since the box blocks artwork in the panel (which does not appear in Marvel Comics) and because the box only serves the purpose of telling the reader that the story continues “next week” (not next month), that the story had to have been prepared for the prospective “weekly “ promotional comic? Regardless which saw the light of day first it is reasonable to conclude that the Submariner story was intended to first appear in this prospective weekly publication.

It is stated in the Guide that the “American Ace” appeared in Marvel Mystery #3. Not so. Six of the seven pages appearing in MPFW appeared in Marvel Mystery #2. (December 1939)

“Spy Ring” featuring “The Wasp” in MPFW appears (later?!) in Silver Streak Comics #1. (December 1939) To my knowledge this has not been reported. It is interesting to note that the Silver Streak comic has a full page ad for Marvel Mystery #2. Does all of this indicate some kind of tie between the books, the publishers, the creators?

“Fun-o-graph” in MPFW appears on the back cover on another promotional comic book, Green Giant Comics. (1940)

“Kar Toon and his copy Kat” by Filchock in MPFW is also reproduced in Green Giant Comics.

I have not been able to place “Jolly the Newsie” or the seventh page of “American Ace” yet.

Finally, although it may be coincidental the size of MPFW is identical to Little Giant Comics #4 and Little Giant Detective Funnies #4 which was produced earlier in 1939 by Centaur probably with the help of Jacquet and Funnies Inc.

I hope you and Bob find this imfo helpful.

Jon

Martin Filchock did many, many gag features for Centaurs and pre-Centaur magazines.

This was the best I could do on cross-referencing the features...but I find it compelling minutiae for those of us who care about this type of material and trying to put the puzzle back together....jb

44126-mpfw.jpg.7ebffe62fc7b64129eea5b5a39b9cf9f.jpg

44127-motion2.jpg.225c9ecc2559c958011e97983a7c3ef1.jpg

So of the 9 (if that's correct) copies known to exist, does anyone know the backstory of the ones that didn't come from the Jacquet estate, or did all 9 come from there?  Just curious how the other ones were first discovered who if anyone knows who had them originally.

On 4/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, RICKMCDONALD said:

So of the 9 (if that's correct) copies known to exist, does anyone know the backstory of the ones that didn't come from the Jacquet estate, or did all 9 come from there?  Just curious how the other ones were first discovered who if anyone knows who had them originally.

Here's a read for you from WIKI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Funnies_Weekly

Very interesting is the possible link to the Centaur Amazing Man numbering.