• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does the "S" on Jugheads shirt stand for...

45 posts in this topic

Hey Hepkitty, the Comics Between the Panels book says that the S did stand for

"Squirrel Hill Institute of Tigers" not technology according to Bob Montana

Whether its a joke or legit 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It is in a book on comic book history so maybe there is some truth behind it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone want a copy it is a serious book on comic history... Comics Between The Panels grin.gif

I love the "Squirrel Hill Institute" urban legend... that's classic. The fact that the acronym (whether you go with "Technology or "Tigers" as the last bit) spells out SH*T is lost on you folks? I don't believe that answer for a minute, even if Bob Montana says it with a straight face.

Bug, you're close enough, I'll give ya the answer: "Pforsythe." Don't blame me, that's straight from MLJ...

Okay, there it is in print: Pforsythe... HepKitty, does that do anything for you? wink.gif

I love the "Squirrel Hill Institute" urban legend... that's classic. The fact that the acronym (whether you go with "Technology or "Tigers" as the last bit) spells out SH*T is lost on you folks? I don't believe that answer for a minute, even if Bob Montana says it with a straight face.

Bug, you're close enough, I'll give ya the answer: "Pforsythe." Don't blame me, that's straight from MLJ...

Okay, there it is in print: Pforsythe... HepKitty, does that do anything for you? wink.gif

forsythe pforsythe jones??

ArchieComics.com (link)

First name: Forsythe

Middle name: Pendleton

Last name: Jones

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Okay... *maybe* I stand corrected.. it *has* been 25 years since I read that particular story, and it would probably take me that long to find it again smile.gif

Or maybe MLJ has revised history here? I'm truly confident that in the original story, Jughead said his middle name was "Pforsythe," with the "P" being silent...

But I've been wrong before ... although there are no surviving witnesses in that previous instance...

[stuffs own feet in mouth] ...so now I gotta go unearth the damned comic from 35 boxes' worth o' stuff? Ahhhhhhhhh....

Okay, I'll be the nudnik for the duration if that's the alternative to finding that lone story from among 150-odd issues of Jughead smile.gif I stand dejected, but only slightly!

On 6/23/2003 at 6:57 AM, LucyBop said:

Archie comics are my specialty.... From Golden Age to Silver... I love em and I am always buying them..... I have never known what the S on Juggies shirt means... Can anyone of you Hepcats shed some light on this mystery for me????

Thanks,

the HepKitty

Spoiler

I know this is old..but I'm pretty sure it stands for Southside, and the r on archies stand for Riverdale

Here's one credible take on it:

Montana’s widow is working on a book, The Golden Years of Newspaper Comics, that will clear up some mysteries about Riverdale, such as the meaning of the letter S on Jughead’s shirt. The people at Archie headquarters in Mamaroneck, N.Y., aren’t saying what that S stands for, but Bertholet will. ”Jughead’s S refers to a place called Skunk Hill in Haverhill, which Bob turned into Squirrel Hill.” Bob’s elementary school near Haverhill called its athletic teams the Tigers. ”So,” Bertholet concludes, ”Jughead’s S meant ‘Squirrel Hill Independent Tigers,’ and you couldn’t abbreviate it any other way.” Jughead, the seer who never opens his eyes, voices his indifference to society in the silent, not-quite-scatological cryptogram on his shirt. He’s a letterman in the sport of rebellion.

Read the whole thing here...

http://ew.com/article/1991/11/08/archie-comics-turn-50/

Edited by jools&jim