• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age marketplace links
8 8

1,588 posts in this topic

Highest graded Bobby Benson 14 on Comic Connect. Under-appreciated gruesome PCH cover.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=630169

A 9.4 with pencil or pen writing in the title?

I guess I'll never understand their grading system. I doubt Overstreet would call it any higher than Fine.

I'd have to agree that that one looks overgraded. I don't see it as above a 9.0.

I know, I know, you can't judge a book from a scan, but the writing and the rounded corners don't say "9.4" to me. I also wonder about how the back cover appears to be pushed up into the slab. hm

Edited to add: I'm assuming that this isn't Diamonddave's book and he was just directing us to it.

No, it's mine or was mine. The corners are not rounded, straight sub to Voldemort in April, never pressed.

Edited by Diamonddave

Highest graded Bobby Benson 14 on Comic Connect. Under-appreciated gruesome PCH cover.

I guess I'll never understand their grading system. I doubt Overstreet would call it any higher than Fine.

I'd have to agree that that one looks overgraded. I don't see it as above a 9.0.

I know, I know, you can't judge a book from a scan, but the writing and the rounded corners don't say "9.4" to me. I also wonder about how the back cover appears to be pushed up into the slab. hm

Edited to add: I'm assuming that this isn't Diamonddave's book and he was just directing us to it.

They are not counting off for the writing as they are considering it a distributor code. The ?:52 is the typical code for a New Hampshire copy. I'm not quite sure what the marking in the B is.

It's STILL a defacement of the cover, however, which should deny it near mint status. JMHO.

This is odd...many copies I've seen (like mine below) has that "50 Ore" printed or stamped in the upper right corner. The one above and the one for sale does not. What is that? ...and since when are distributor and arrival dates considered WOC? Should all Mile Highs with a "D" on the cover be knocked down to VFs?

orqb92.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

This is odd...many copies I've seen (like mine below) has that "50 Ore" printed or stamped in the upper right corner. The one above and the one for sale does not. What is that? ...and since when are distributor and arrival dates considered WOC? Should all Mile Highs with a "D" on the cover be knocked down to VFs?

orqb92.jpg

Many american comics were sold overseas. 50 Ore (denmark currency) is about 10 cents american.

I think there were some warehouse finds of undistributed 1950s american comics with the "50 Ore" stamp in Sweden or Denmark.

Some of you might have seen an 8P stamp on some silver age books. 8P (8 pence British) is about 12 cents american.

No, it's mine or was mine. The corners are not rounded, straight sub to Voldemort in April, never pressed.

In that case, it's gorgeous! :foryou:

By Ayers, not sure what the wrapper says.

According to Ayers, the cover was Schomburg pencils that were inked by Ayers.

Serious?

Yes

Serious?

Yes

I can see that. The book also has a great Ayers illustrated decapitation story.

In addition to the 50 ore stash, I wonder if there was a warehouse find of these, there seem to be a lot of VF and up copies out there, which keeps an awesome cover affordable.