• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper age Independants you may have never heard of...

540 posts in this topic

Thought I'd start a thread on Independants from the 80's era that many of you may have never heard of. I focused a lot of my collection in the mid 80's on Independants, so I thought I would start posting a few scanned covers. I'll be back tonight or tomorrow with some, if you want, please add your own.

Death Rattle kicked much *spoon* in the 80's for me as well as Gore Shriek's first issue, the rest kinda blew donkey $%^%'s though. When I was a kid I pretty muched grabbed anything with a horror cover right away, I remember picking up an indy horror called 'Hot Stuff' in the late 80's that was filled with gore and boobs and I had to hide it from my parents. I loved the Indy stuff then, cause you never knew what you we're going to get. Sometimes it was amazing, sometimes it just wasn't, but it was exciting to try out a new title that didn't have the comic code to censore it down.

Was it rand Holmes and Steven Bissette who worked on death rattle? I'll have to go to my storage locker and dig some out. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I also loved Taboo by Bissette as well, very scary stuff for a 12 year old.

Death Rattle was very cool, check out the Copper Horror thread if you haven't already! thumbsup2.gif

BTW: If you have and want to sell any of your Gore Shriek's, please let me know as I trying to finish my runs. Thanks!

So I've scanned a few random ones.

Just imagine it's in the mid to late 80's, the independant rage is going on. After TMNT comes out, there is a million copycats and parodys, so here's a couple. Also the the independants being popular, almost anyone is putting out a comic. Some go up in value rather quickly, most are never seen again. Here is a few...

rhymes with semen, get it. 1464158-Zhmen.jpg

a great, great book. the writer really nailed Claremont. i am glad to see i'm not the only one in the world with a copy of this book