• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Back in the old days, the sales forum was not split into ages at all. Every type of book sold in a single forum. As the boards and sales forum grew, to makes things less unwieldy, it was divided up into the format we have now. This format was discussed between Arch and the membership at large to reach consensus. As a buyer of Gold, Silver and Bronze and a run collector, I would find it a huge PITA to have that forum split up further and an even bigger PITA if I was running a sales thread.

Help!  I fixed a post that was removed because it did not conform to the marketplace guidelines, 

but 

a.  couldn't figure out how to get the thread back up

b. in a panic clicking everything trying to figure it out, clicked "hide" button and now can't find thread

There were several buyers that I don't recall the names.

Where are what do I click or do?

Edited by path4play

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, grebal said:
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, skypinkblu said:

OK, for Paypal to be on par, wouldn't they have to not charge a fee;)? So wouldn't offering to discount BY the fee, be treating them on Par? (I'm ducking;) but I don't love this rule. 

I suppose the option is not to do Paypal. My bank has some kind of Paypal like option now.

Interesting, I've always offered buyers to save the fee for pay-by-check - going on 20 yrs now, but have no problem removing that sweetener for buyer's benefit if it bothers people.  Screw 'em, no skin of off my nose, and save the bank run to deposit the occasional check from savvy buyers.

What the heck?  Is that even in the Paypal user agreement?  # 10 You cannot post in a way that violates the terms of service for your payment methods. (NOTE: Specifically, no surcharges for accepting PayPal, or discounts for other methods)

I thought you couldn't charge more for accepting Paypal or credit cards, and that was tied to many state laws.  But offering a discount for other methods?  I have offered a 5% discount for a check or money order for a long time, and that's less than what Paypal charges. Anyway, anyone have a link to where this is stated as a violation of Paypal user agreements?  I just spent a 1/2 hour going through it and came up blank.  Thanks in advance.

I have completed my ASM 1-799 collection (although I need one more Newsstand copy and quite some early Direct Editions). But my focus goes to creating a consistent set of 9.0's for ASM 1 u/i 49. That means both upgrading and downgrading. Where do I put that on this forum?

Thanks, E

14 hours ago, Dutch74 said:

I have completed my ASM 1-799 collection (although I need one more Newsstand copy and quite some early Direct Editions). But my focus goes to creating a consistent set of 9.0's for ASM 1 u/i 49. That means both upgrading and downgrading. Where do I put that on this forum?

Thanks, E

The most appropriate place is probably WTB if you're less worried about buying high while selling low.

But a sales thread in G/S/B saying you want to trade, always with a "buy it now" price could do better since it typically shows more traffic.  You can set BINs well above-mkt if your preference is to trade books(s) in one shot, not getting wrapped up in selling then buying which often doubles the transaction costs (including potential hassles).

Congrats on the run of ASM!  I stopped at 441, though of course I grabbed a few versions of 700 and many of the issues between.

There are over half a dozen threads in the Modern Sales Forum that have been removed because people can't be bothered to read or follow the usage guidelines and rules. This has made a terrible mess by cluttering everything up. 

Is there a way to force people to read the rules? Perhaps set up a "check the box if you've read the policy" page for people who want to start a thread in that forum. Force people to read the rules and check the box before they can post a sales thread? 

I know this isn't foolproof. 30% of the noobs would likely break the rules anyway. But at least it's a start? 

I don't want to direct all of my vengeance towards the noobs. There are a handful of stalwart veterans who continually violate smaller rules, like posting acceptable methods of payment. And words like "standard rules apply" aren't helpful at all. What does that mean, exactly? 

Another solution might be to provide some sort of common template for people to use when they set up a sales thread. The system would kick them out if they didn't fill in all of the required areas. This would pretty much force people to follow the rules. 

It's a shame that adults can't read or police themselves, but nothing surprises me in 2018. 

Thoughts? 

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

There are over half a dozen threads in the Modern Sales Forum that have been removed because people can't be bothered to read or follow the usage guidelines and rules. This has made a terrible mess by cluttering everything up. 

Is there a way to force people to read the rules? Perhaps set up a "check the box if you've read the policy" page for people who want to start a thread in that forum. Force people to read the rules and check the box before they can post a sales thread? 

I know this isn't foolproof. 30% of the noobs would likely break the rules anyway. But at least it's a start? 

I don't want to direct all of my vengeance towards the noobs. There are a handful of stalwart veterans who continually violate smaller rules, like posting acceptable methods of payment. And words like "standard rules apply" aren't helpful at all. What does that mean, exactly? 

Another solution might be to provide some sort of common template for people to use when they set up a sales thread. The system would kick them out if they didn't fill in all of the required areas. This would pretty much force people to follow the rules. 

It's a shame that adults can't read or police themselves, but nothing surprises me in 2018. 

Thoughts? 

I agree wholeheartedly but I admit that it feels a bit like tilting at windmills.

I continually see threads that are shut down by mods, only to have similar threads up and running in a short time.  If there are rules violations, do the mods try a notification to the seller to fix the thread before they shut them down? 

6 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

I continually see threads that are shut down by mods, only to have similar threads up and running in a short time.  If there are rules violations, do the mods try a notification to the seller to fix the thread before they shut them down? 

A shame that the mods don't clean up the WTB forum too.   Way too many vague posts in that forum that don't specify price offered or grades that are acceptable, etc.

What are the rules / policies on Adult comics?

Heavy Metal magazine - OK

Cherry Poptart clothed or covered up - OK

Leather and Lace - ???

Horny Biker Slut - Not OK?  OK to sell but not OK to picture?  OK to picture but black box the naughty areas?

Faust - Over the top Gruesome - sometimes naked - OK/NOT OK?

Not looking for a freedom of speech discussion - just want to follow CGC rules and abide by my perception of common sense.

1 hour ago, ft88 said:

What are the rules / policies on Adult comics?

Heavy Metal magazine - OK

Cherry Poptart clothed or covered up - OK

Leather and Lace - ???

Horny Biker Slut - Not OK?  OK to sell but not OK to picture?  OK to picture but black box the naughty areas?

Faust - Over the top Gruesome - sometimes naked - OK/NOT OK?

Not looking for a freedom of speech discussion - just want to follow CGC rules and abide by my perception of common sense.

I don't see any hard rules with any clarity, Ed. Considering membership on this site is for 18 and above, it would seem the legalities may be moot. When I list the occasional item with nudity, I try to keep the threads small and specific in case of the sound of a lone snowflake crying.... that way any yanking is minimal. Personally, my vote, if one is needed, would be possibly for a disclaimer to be placed in the thread title. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, Max Carnage said:

I've been coming across Deal or No Deal sales on Facebook.  Are these allowed in our sales threads here ?

What does that mean? and what are your concerns with relations to the existing rules?

On 10/4/2021 at 11:28 AM, Max Carnage said:

I've been coming across Deal or No Deal sales on Facebook.  Are these allowed in our sales threads here ?

You'd have to spell it out here so we could check, if it's like a raffle, probably not. 

On 10/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, Max Carnage said:

Say basically the seller would list an item and people would offer in the thread and the seller would reply to each offer whether a deal or not.

no, generally sellers have to price an item in the sales forums

you can do a reverse auction with a high starting price and decrease it in set intervals/times