• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Let it go. A continuation of insult exchanges on this thread will result in moderation. That is not the purpose of this thread, and my "hi-jacking a thread" trigger finger is itching.

• Administrator

Guidelines update

"Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you."

• Administrator

Updated this guideline:

"Thread title must start with "FS:" (for sale) and must give some indication of the types of items for sale."

People seem to like FS better, and it's more visually distinguishable anyway.

Arch, early on there was many auction type sales. Should those say:

FS: Auction - etc?

Also many auction types where left with it being very open ended on when they would end and if there was or was not a reserve on it? Should there be any rules on auction length, say like ebay's 1, 3, 5, 7 day type of thing?

• Administrator
I'm coming to this late, but here's my essential question.

1) I list a book for sale on the forum. It is for sale NO WHERE ELSE.

2) The book sits there for three days.

3) The book doesn't sell.

4) I then put the book for sale on eBay AFTER it has done steps 1, 2, and 3.

5) Where does that thread go?

I hate to be a , but I'm not going to put any more Western Missouri books up until I get an official answer to this. I'm tired of people *spoon* all over my sales thread. I thought that I had followed every "unwritten" rule, and then came to see 100 posts about how I was pimping my books. The books from the Western Missouri collection will be put up here first, if they aren't sold within three days, I'll delete them off the thread and put them on eBay.

Somebody official tell me what the rules are for my situation, and I'll follow them.

I would go ahead and post it here. Make sure to explicitly say how long the sale will last if it has a time limit, and that they will go up on ebay once the time limit expires. Feel free to post on the thread to close it when the time expires, and to communicate what books have sold and what haven't. That's it.

If you want to advertise the ebay sale, go ahead and do it on the sales advertising board. Let's keep the ebay links out of this board to avoid gray areas where people might put things up on this board for short periods of time for outrageous prices just to get more play. We want to avoid that.

Thanks,

Arch

I'm coming to this late, but here's my essential question.

1) I list a book for sale on the forum. It is for sale NO WHERE ELSE.

2) The book sits there for three days.

3) The book doesn't sell.

4) I then put the book for sale on eBay AFTER it has done steps 1, 2, and 3.

5) Where does that thread go?

I hate to be a , but I'm not going to put any more Western Missouri books up until I get an official answer to this. I'm tired of people *spoon* all over my sales thread. I thought that I had followed every "unwritten" rule, and then came to see 100 posts about how I was pimping my books. The books from the Western Missouri collection will be put up here first, if they aren't sold within three days, I'll delete them off the thread and put them on eBay.

Somebody official tell me what the rules are for my situation, and I'll follow them.

I would go ahead and post it here. Make sure to explicitly say how long the sale will last if it has a time limit, and that they will go up on ebay once the time limit expires. Feel free to post on the thread to close it when the time expires, and to communicate what books have sold and what haven't. That's it.

If you want to advertise the ebay sale, go ahead and do it on the sales advertising board. Let's keep the ebay links out of this board to avoid gray areas where people might put things up on this board for short periods of time for outrageous prices just to get more play. We want to avoid that.

Thanks,

Arch

Thanks much for clearing this up. Will do. thumbsup2.gif

I've gotta congratulate Arch for taking the time to set a "code of conduct" for the two Marketplace forums, and for doing a kick-hass job of it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

When the biggest issue I have concerns wording, you've got to be doing something right.

I've gotta congratulate Arch for taking the time to set a "code of conduct" for the two Marketplace forums, and for doing a kick-hass job of it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

When the biggest issue I have concerns wording, you've got to be doing something right.

Well, when JC compliments you, you must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for the positive and meaningful contribution, deathlok. yeahok.gif

I believe Arch already mentioned something specifically in this thread about hi-jacking it with insults. 893naughty-thumb.gif

The forum seems to be working well with the new guidelines, Arch. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the positive and meaningful contribution, deathlok. yeahok.gif

I believe Arch already mentioned something specifically in this thread about hi-jacking it with insults. 893naughty-thumb.gif

The forum seems to be working well with the new guidelines, Arch. thumbsup2.gif

Perhaps you should familarize yourself with what "hi-jacking a thread" means, instead of making snide comments.

How has this been working? Ok?

It's been working OK, mostly because the rule that a book cannot be advertised elsewhere precludes true "dealers" (Blazingbob, Metro, Superworld, etc.,.) from posting their new arrivals lists here, which is a shame for those of us wishing to build our collections with truly scarce, hard to find items that are typically only offered by these types of sellers.

Other than that, it's the same old same old that it's always been, with the exception that quasi-dealers like flyingdonut and qualitycomix can now post here like they always have, but without someone crying to you about it. cry.gif

Also, I'm glad to see people using the "guidelines" as just that, and not "hard and fast rules". If they truly were "hard and fast rules", I don't believe a single post that has been made since the guidelines were posted would have been in compliance with all 11 of them.

Finally, I continue to strongly believe that rule #3 should be dropped, and I also strongly believe that doing so will not change the nature of the board, given the other rules, most notably #'s 4 and 9. However, if we're lucky it might result in an increase in the number of quality books being offered for sale here. I guess the "dealers" could use the "Sales Advertising" board, but posts there pretty much get buried by ebay Spam, which is probably why more people voted in the marketplace realignment poll to separate "Direct Sales", "Indirect Sales", and "WTB" as suggested by Chromium, than for any other option. thumbsup2.gif

Finally, I continue to strongly believe that rule #3 should be dropped

You're insane. screwy.gif

If any dealer, EBay seller, consignment house or other online sales entity could just DUMP their entire stock list on here, it would totally defeat the purpose of splitting the forums up.

You do realize that most board members do NOT want Metro, Neatstuff, ComicLink, etc, to be able to post their online stock for sale here, right?

If any dealer, EBay seller, consignment house or other online sales entity could just DUMP their entire stock list on here, it would totally defeat the purpose of splitting the forums up.

You do realize that most board members do NOT want Metro, Neatstuff, ComicLink, etc, to be able to post their online stock for sale here, right?

They can just do it in the other marketplace right? confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I can always check a website, or the dealer only forum...