• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

No, I'm not joking. There was hardly any "dealer spam" on the Forum Only board to begin with, and the very little that there was is now considered A-OK under the revised guidelines

You need to read the Guidelines again, specifically the parts concerning "not for sale elsewhere" and "no outside links". foreheadslap.gif

The beauty is that you represent "legions" of board members' opinions and that JC and I only voice our "lone" radical thoughts.

joe_collector: There is only one person who is totally against dealer involvement (Divad)...

Current poll results indicate that only 4 of the 28 respondents feel that "stricter rules are needed...in order to exclude dealers.". It's pretty obvious who's in the (vocal) minority here.

6. Normally I wouldn't care, but due to recent...developments...I think the marketplace needs stricter rules. It's too great a place to see it ruined by dealers dumping junk at full guide, spamming their sales, or relisting stuff that's on their websites. I am not saying this has happened, but there are enough warning signs to make me want to nip the pretrend in the bud.

I understand your concerns Andy. I don't doubt that I am in the minority that feels the marketplace should be opened up more than it is now, which is why I didn't include "Make it a free-for-all" as one of the options in the poll. Chrom's suggestion is a good compromise, so I decided to include that option instead.

The books I'm looking for are tough enough to find in the first place, so I'll take 'em anywhere I can find 'em. Similarily, I try to attend shows when the doors open to get the best selection, as opposed to attending on the last day when dealers are selling books at a greater discount. Collectors primarily selling books here, or collectors that prioritize getting a good deal over a good selection probably don't have the same priorities, and that's fine.

It's easy enough to skim through and ignore the posts that don't interest me, but I guess it's not as easy for others...although I'm sure we would all enthusiastically jump on a listing of Doug Sulipa's latest Manitoba books, or the next Oakland collection, irregardless of whether or not those books are listed on some other website. thumbsup2.gif

The beauty is that you represent "legions" of board members' opinions and that JC and I only voice our "lone" radical thoughts.

joe_collector: There is only one person who is totally against dealer involvement (Divad)...

Current poll results indicate that only 4 of the 28 respondents feel that "stricter rules are needed...in order to exclude dealers.". It's pretty obvious who's in the (vocal) minority here.

Geez - we've gone from one to six in a matter of minutes . . . grin.gif

What's obvious is that you're more vocal than others. I don't have an agenda, I just want to occasionally be able to buy and sell a book here and there without having to wade through dealer offerings. tongue.gif

I understand your concerns Andy. I don't doubt that I am in the minority that feels the marketplace should be opened up more than it is now, which is why I didn't include "Make it a free-for-all" as one of the options in the poll. Chrom's suggestion is a good compromise, so I decided to include that option instead.

The books I'm looking for are tough enough to find in the first place, so I'll take 'em anywhere I can find 'em. Similarily, I try to attend shows when the doors open to get the best selection, as opposed to attending on the last day when dealers are selling books at a greater discount. Collectors primarily selling books here, or collectors that prioritize getting a good deal over a good selection probably don't have the same priorities, and that's fine.

It's easy enough to skim through and ignore the posts that don't interest me, but I guess it's not as easy for others...although I'm sure we would all enthusiastically jump on a listing of Doug Sulipa's latest Manitoba books, or the next Oakland collection, irregardless of whether or not those books are listed on some other website. thumbsup2.gif

Well, I don't think it would be as simple as "ignoring" the dealer posts, should it come to that. The boards are a market and the more big players that move in, the more the small players will be pushed out. It's really that simple. There's a finite amount of dollars available here, and it would suck to see it going (once again) into big dealer wallets.

I depend on the marketplace and my sales here to bear the bulk of my hobby-related costs. I know I am FAR from being alone there. I don't need some weekend warrior with big bucks and huge inventory coming and taking money away from small time players who do it because they love it or can't collect otherwise. Dealers have TONS of other places they can do that, Mike. Heritage, eBay, Pedigree, CLink, their own sites, ect. Do they REALLY need another one? Should we sacrifice nice books at attractive prices from other collectors to have another venue for big timers to pump their overgraded, overpriced wares? I say hell no. I like buying from collectors, I like selling to collectors, and I like leaving dealers out of the loop entirely. This is one of the few places where people can do that on a consistent basis.

...although I'm sure we would all enthusiastically jump on a listing of Doug Sulipa's latest Manitoba books, or the next Oakland collection, irregardless of whether or not those books are listed on some other website. thumbsup2.gif

Funny, I just received two e-mails from Doug this morning . . .

btw irregardless is not a word, it either is or it isn't grin.gif

Well, I don't think it would be as simple as "ignoring" the dealer posts, should it come to that. The boards are a market and the more big players that move in, the more the small players will be pushed out. It's really that simple. There's a finite amount of dollars available here, and it would suck to see it going (once again) into big dealer wallets.

I depend on the marketplace and my sales here to bear the bulk of my hobby-related costs. I know I am FAR from being alone there. I don't need some weekend warrior with big bucks and huge inventory coming and taking money away from small time players who do it because they love it or can't collect otherwise. Dealers have TONS of other places they can do that, Mike. Heritage, eBay, Pedigree, CLink, their own sites, ect. Do they REALLY need another one? Should we sacrifice nice books at attractive prices from other collectors to have another venue for big timers to pump their overgraded, overpriced wares? I say hell no. I like buying from collectors, I like selling to collectors, and I like leaving dealers out of the loop entirely. This is one of the few places where people can do that on a consistent basis.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

...although I'm sure we would all enthusiastically jump on a listing of Doug Sulipa's latest Manitoba books, or the next Oakland collection, irregardless of whether or not those books are listed on some other website. thumbsup2.gif

I believe it has been added to the OED...much to the chagrin of grammar geeks everywhere. crazy.gif

I believe it has been added to the OED...much to the chagrin of grammar geeks everywhere. crazy.gif

Yeah, the OED for *spoon* . . . 27_laughing.gif

Makes perfect sense and I sell here to fund my hobby as well, so I do agree to some extent. However, if our fellow collectors don't have the books we're looking for... confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know why this is so hard. Based on the new guidelines, anyone, including full-time and part-time dealers, should be welcome to post books in the Forum Buy/Sell Area that are EXCLUSIVE to the boards. That means if Bob Storms, Mark Zaid, Vincent Zurzolo, Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy want to post books here that are only being advertised/marketed on the forum, then great. I think that's perfectly fine, and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

What I don't like is the concept of excluding people from the forum based on their station within the hobby. This is an especially slippery slope considering that the intake of books by some so-called "collectors" (not pointing fingers at anyone in particular) is less than the exhaust. Not to mention "collectors" such as myself who sometimes buy specifically for the purpose of resale.

-Jim