• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Payment question.

I read the posting for sale rules.

One is no personal PayPal allowed.

Not sure what that means.

Is that just a normal pp account?

If I can't use that to accept payment what does that leave for those who

Only have a regular/personal pp account?

Post office Money order seems to be the only other good option.

Am I understanding the pp thing correctly?

Personal PayPal is typically used to send friends and family money. These are sent without Paypal taking a cut of the money they would get if you told them you were paying for "goods and services".

Problem is if you send it "personal" (also called "friends and family" or "pp") then there is no PayPal protection involved. If you buy a $50 from someone and you send the money personal and something happens to the shipment (or the seller is a female hygiene product), PayPal will do nothing to help you recover the $50.

Also, and this is a matter of opinion and perspective, if you choose to use PayPal then they have every right to the fee that you would normally have to pay. If you are using "personal" to get around the fee, you are keeping PayPal from making their money, and should probably find another venue for secure money transfer at that point. (...there really isn't one.)

Payment question.

I read the posting for sale rules.

One is no personal PayPal allowed.

Not sure what that means.

Is that just a normal pp account?

If I can't use that to accept payment what does that leave for those who

Only have a regular/personal pp account?

Post office Money order seems to be the only other good option.

Am I understanding the pp thing correctly?

There are 2 ways in which money can be sent through PayPal: Goods & Services OR PayPal Personal

PayPal Personal is what you would use to send money to a friend. PayPal charges no fees for this service and because you are hypothetically just sending money NOT in exchange for anything there is no PayPal buyer protection.

Paypal Goods & Services is the method in which you would send money to pay for a book that you bought. PayPal charges a fee for this service (approximately 3%). The fee it taken out of the seller's cut. In exchange for using Goods & Services PayPal provides the buyer with protection in the event that the transaction goes south.

Ok thanks for that info.

So to further my question.

I sell a book.

Send a request for payment to buyer

They send payment.

This is considered personal PP and not allowed in here?

Sorry for the questions.

I generally sell stuff on ebay and haven't sold person to person without it being face to face.

Ok I did my own research and found that a buyer needs to choose the goods and services option when sending money.

So I guess that answers the question.

I can sell here, recieve payment on PP as long as buyer chooses g&s option.

Edited by Whotony

Ok thanks for that info.

So to further my question.

I sell a book.

Send a request for payment to buyer

They send payment.

This is considered personal PP and not allowed in here?

Sorry for the questions.

I generally sell stuff on ebay and haven't sold person to person without it being face to face.

If you sell a book, send your paypal address to the buyer. They will most likely use the goods option. Even if they send it to you via the personal option, it's not against forum rules. It's only against the rules if you ask for it.

When selling, just don't ask for paypal personal. Just state the word Paypal as a method of payment, and you will be fine.

Personal is for sending to family, friends charity ect...

Question. Sorry, I'm new here. I've perused the threads and can't seem to find an answer.

When I go to post a picture I continuously get an error message. Is there a file size restriction? I've been trying to upload photos under 4Mb.

5 hours ago, WeaponXIII said:

Question. Sorry, I'm new here. I've perused the threads and can't seem to find an answer.

When I go to post a picture I continuously get an error message. Is there a file size restriction? I've been trying to upload photos under 4Mb.

I think this thread is intended for just questions related to the sales threads, so this may not be the best place to post this question (unless you are having trouble posting pics to a sales thread!).

How are you trying to post the pics?  The board software now resizes them, so the 4 mb size of your original pic shouldn't be a problem. If you are using an image hosting site, you can post the url just as with the old boards.  If you are using a desktop (as I am), you can just drag the pics in.

Hey all -

Quick question, I recently picked up a collection that has several adult comics, you know, Eros stuff, Tim Vigil stuff, etc. I was thinking about selling some, but couldn't recall any specific rules about adult books on the forums. I'm pretty sure I've seen undergrounds and stuff like Cherry Poptart sold here before, but I wasn't sure if there were any rules against more explicit material. It's just not the sort of thing I usually collect for myself, and it's a hassle to sell adult books on eBay, so I thought I might try it here since I've had good luck with my other threads.

Thanks!

I'd throw it up with an age disclaimer, and cover certain body parts in the posted pics.  but other than that, unless there's anything actually illegal to possess or sell in your jurisdiction, you're probably ok.

4 minutes ago, revat said:

I'd throw it up with an age disclaimer, and cover certain body parts in the posted pics.  but other than that, unless there's anything actually illegal to possess or sell in your jurisdiction, you're probably ok.

Cool, that was pretty much what I was thinking, but I wanted to float the idea out there before I stepped on any toes. 

Hello Mod,

Just want to understand something. I always do my best to follow the selling guidelines, one of which is to no list books here and on eBay at the same time and I always do take particular care about that.

When I finish a FS thread, I do not always post "Thread is closed" as it gives the thread an unnecessary bump, especially when the FS thread is lost in oblivion, i.e. on page 3 or more which for me is an implied closing of a FS thread.

Recently, one person did post a :takeit:in one of my FS threads that was inactive and closed (although I did not directly post that the thread was closed), giving it an unwanted bump a month later. I immediately replied by saying the thread was closed as I have many of the books now listed on eBay. However, I got a warning this morning that I did not follow the guidelines, and the closed thread got locked.

The rule says: 4- It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

What did I do wrong here? Should a closed FS thread now be always labelled as closed even though it is inactive for weeks?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

If you edit the first (or last) post to add a Thread Closed statement (rather than adding a new post at the end of the thread), the thread won't be bumped. I haven't run a sales thread in a long time, but that's what I do.  I started doing it because there was a discussion about this very point.  I think it revolved around someone claiming a book in a sales thread that had been inactive for a couple of weeks, but wasn't marked as closed.  The consensus at that time seemed to be that threads ought to be marked closed when they had run their course so as to avoid confusion. 

On 6/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, pickycollector said:

Hello Mod,

Just want to understand something. I always do my best to follow the selling guidelines, one of which is to no list books here and on eBay at the same time and I always do take particular care about that.

When I finish a FS thread, I do not always post "Thread is closed" as it gives the thread an unnecessary bump, especially when the FS thread is lost in oblivion, i.e. on page 3 or more which for me is an implied closing of a FS thread.

Recently, one person did post a :takeit:in one of my FS threads that was inactive and closed (although I did not directly post that the thread was closed), giving it an unwanted bump a month later. I immediately replied by saying the thread was closed as I have many of the books now listed on eBay. However, I got a warning this morning that I did not follow the guidelines, and the closed thread got locked.

The rule says: 4- It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

What did I do wrong here? Should a closed FS thread now be always labelled as closed even though it is inactive for weeks?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

I am unsure if I have seen it used but Arch developed the Mark as Sold Function - https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/410491-please-check-out-the-mark-as-sold-function/

I guess if the items are unsold but still want to close/lock the thread, perhaps could do a simple rewording.  Kind of would be nice as we all have seen take its from threads years old.  We joke about it but it bounces the thread and takes up space for current sales threads.

• Administrator
On 6/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, telerites said:

I am unsure if I have seen it used but Arch developed the Mark as Sold Function - https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/410491-please-check-out-the-mark-as-sold-function/

I guess if the items are unsold but still want to close/lock the thread, perhaps could do a simple rewording.  Kind of would be nice as we all have seen take its from threads years old.  We joke about it but it bounces the thread and takes up space for current sales threads.

@pickycollector that's exactly the thing to do. There is now a button in the upper right corner at the top of a thread that lets you mark it as sold. This should lock the thread, put a red badge on it, and add some text to the title -- none of that should bump the thread.

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

@pickycollector that's exactly the thing to do. There is now a button in the upper right corner at the top of a thread that lets you mark it as sold. This should lock the thread, put a red badge on it, and add some text to the title -- none of that should bump the thread.

So if I understand correctly, if a seller do not label his item(s) as sold (for example, because they have not sold) but the FS thread gets inactive and somebody bump it in a near or distant future, the thread will get locked and the seller will receive a warning if meanwhile the items were listed elsewhere?

Would it be enough then just to edit the last post and simply write "Thread closed" ?

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

So if I understand correctly, if a seller do not label his item(s) as sold (for example, because they have not sold) but the FS thread gets inactive and somebody bump it in a near or distant future, the thread will get locked and the seller will receive a warning if meanwhile the items were listed elsewhere?

Would it be enough then just to edit the last post and simply write "Thread closed" ?

WEEELLLLLLLL, here's probably the real deal:

1. Technically you should close a thread if it's closed to avoid disappointments and stay clear of the "only here" rule
  2. You can do that any number of ways
    1. Hit "mark as sold" which also puts "closed" in the title, kind of implying that it could be either sold or just closed
    2. Edit your thread title to add your own "closed" note
    3. Respond to the post with a "closed" reply (but that does bump it)
    4. You could also, I suppose, list a "Sale valid until XXXX date" in the original post, which would put people on notice not to expect to be able to buy it (or to only find it on the boards) past X time - then you wouldn't have to follow up and explicitly close it
  3. Really, though, if the thread just aged out and it's on page 300 and someone says "I'll take it" on a year old post, you won't really ever get "points" added to your account for that. You may get a NOTICE, which lets you know that technically someone wasn't right, BUT it isn't a big deal. And that's what happened to you. You got a friendly reminder / notice that results in no points added to your account and no ramifications to your access to the boards.

You kind of do want to close threads, though. Not just to be a stickler for rules, but just to hold down confusion. Moderation only took action on something like that because someone complained. That means a potential buyer wasn't happy about something, and it's better for you to clear up those situations - EVEN if the complaint is not wholly reasonable - EVEN if it really just resulted in a friendly notice / reminder from moderation with no impact on your account.... it's probably still better to just prevent the misunderstanding through some pretty easy actions.

But either way, I wouldn't be in any kind of fear that moderation is going to jump on your for having old threads out there and choosing to list on ebay after a REASONABLY LONG period of time. It would only get to the level of points on your account if you did it repeatedly, and it was debatable that time period was too short (resulting an active sale both on and off the boards).

On 6/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, telerites said:

3 hours ago, Architecht said:

Whew,  i got nervous when I saw Arch quote one of my posts before I read the post.  I was thinking wrist slap or time-out.  :blush:

Someone has a sales thread. Someone announces he is going to list two, very desirable books later in the evening. The popcorn is flowing. Someone does come on that evening and says Sorry, both books sold by PM. Realizing technically no rules were broken, it still appears to be in very bad taste. I know there are a lot of vultures out there, scooping up every available book to flip, leaving the few collectors we have left wanting but that's another topic. I would just like to see everyone, especially those waiting patiently, be given at least a chance. Upon a pre sale announcement, it should be a Board Rule the books cannot be sold via PM until the books are actually for sale. Without such a rule, sales threads can turn into pimping announcements, effectively turning the announcement into a PM bidding war. Opinions ????? Anyone else agree with me ?