• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2017 at 9:23 PM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 6/21/2017 at 8:30 PM, edowens71 said:

Let's push a little further on this...

Hypothetical #1: Seller is running a sales thread. Then, he says "I'm taking a break for the evening, but I'll be back tomorrow with more awesome books!" (note: without mentioning any specific books). Tomorrow comes, and seller posts in the thread "well, I was planning on listing some more books in this thread, but I ended up selling them all last night via PM, so the thread is at its end."

Is this a problem?

Hypothetical #2: Seller is running a sales thread. Then, he says "I'm taking a break for the evening, but I'll be back tomorrow with more awesome books!" (note: without mentioning any specific books). Tomorrow comes, and seller posts in the thread "well, I decided to keep all the others I had planned on listing, so the thread is at its end." 

Is this a problem? Is it different than Hypothetical #1? If so, why?

Ed, no, I would not consider either of those hypothetical situations a problem. Regarding the actual events, maybe you had to be there. In the middle of the sales thread, the seller announced that later that day he would be presenting an ASM 1 and an X-Men 1 . The popcorn was flowing. I can only imagine how many times refresh was hit by numerous Board members. Anyone, upon his return, it was sorry I sold the books via PM. Again, maybe you had to be there live to feel the balloon burst. I don't think it was intentional on the seller's part. I'm not here to call him out. I just think it was handled poorly. I also don't want to see this become a new pattern of selling.

I think I'm with B-B on this one.  The rule could be simple:  If you mention that you intend to list a specific book, you need to list the book.  So, "More great stuff to come tomorrow" or something of the like would be fine, even if in the end you decided to close the thread without listing any more books.  But "AF 15 to be listed tomorrow night" followed by "Sorry sold via PM" would be against the rules. 

As a couple of people have mentioned, enforcement of such a rule is problematic, but at least a message would be sent that you shouldn't mention specific books unless you intend to list them. If a seller broke the rule, then someone could post in the thread "You broke Rule 943, Section 12, Paragraph 1 (c)" (which is the type of posting that I think Arch allows).  So enforcement would take the form of public shaming rather than a probation list nomination.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

So enforcement would take the form of public shaming rather than a probation list nomination.

I could get behind this. To this point, my hangup about making this a rule was the enforcement issue. If this was a rule, there is no way that violation of the rule could or should lead to the probation list. But, once you step out of thinking of the PL as the enforcement mechanism, this thing becomes more viable.

It would be a "rule" in the sense of governing what are the stated expectations/norms of the marketplace...just like it is a "rule" that you have to state a return policy in your sales thread. Violation of the "you must state a return policy" rule can't get you on the PL (because that would make no sense whatsoever), but it can get you some public flak and it can get your sales thread shut down. A rule about "if you mention listing a specific book, you must list that book in the thread" would fall into this same category...public flak, maybe shut your thread down, and unofficial "demerits" for those of us who keep track of unofficial demerits. :D

Now, the next question is whether this hypothetical rule would extend to that "ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD - post pre-sale announcements" thread (this one here). Like...if I post in that thread "hey guys and gals...I'm planning to run a big sales thread starting tomorrow, and there will be a Vault of Horror #12 in there. Stay tuned!!!"...will I violate the rule if I don't start that thread and list a VoH #12....or if I start the thread but don't list the VoH #12. Or, will the rule only apply to statements made within official sales threads I have already started?   hm

Edited by edowens71

3 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Now, the next question is whether this hypothetical rule would extend to that "ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD - post pre-sale announcements" thread (this one here). Like...if I post in that thread "hey guys and gals...I'm planning to run a big sales thread starting tomorrow, and there will be a Vault of Horror #12 in there. Stay tuned!!!"...will I violate the rule if I don't start that thread and list a VoH #12....or if I start the thread but don't list the VoH #12. Or, will the rule only apply to statements made within official sales threads I have already started?   hm

Glad to see there is some renewed backing on this. In the spirit of keeping the rule simple, IMO, it should only apply to the sales thread proper.  I don't think the intent of the new rule should be to eliminate but to mitigate situations where an announced book is sold via PM. And for all the outlier, situational what ifs, it's all okay. If you announce a book and then change your mind, it's okay. @Crassus If you get a big time offer via PM for more than you were going to list it for, then simply list the book for that amount.  

This would be more of a clarification of an existing rule, which is that a price must be stated when listing an item for sale.  If you mention a book, state the price.  The seller is free to pull the book from the sale at any time if no one has claimed it at that price.

Seeing a whole bunch of posts lately regarding stolen comic books.  It's difficult to keep track of these posts as they exist in many areas on the site.  Anyone else think it's a good idea to start posting somewhere in the selling area to make the community aware of stolen collections/comics?  I made the initial recommendation (see link below) to maybe have a sub-fourm in the CG section and @Architecht recommended it might be a better idea to have listed in this area.  Thoughts from anyone?  Thanks.

On 7/21/2017 at 7:54 AM, CatskillMike said:

I  agree we need this, but I think stickied CG would be a better area.

Probably get more notice in CG, although the number of stickied threads there might be an issue.

1 hour ago, Edward Kimball said:

Please, could someone tell me how to use the 'I'll take it" emoji? And SOON?

Very carefully....it can get expensive

Click quote on the post of the book you want.
Click the little happy face emoticon on the tool bar 
Find the :takeit: in the 'Agreement' section of emoticons and click it.
Click the 'Submit Reply' button.

@Edward Kimball

Edited by thehumantorch

14 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Very carefully....it can get expensive

Click quote on the post of the book you want.
Click the little happy face emoticon on the tool bar 
Find the :takeit: in the 'Agreement' section of emoticons and click it.
Click the 'Submit Reply' button.

@Edward Kimball

Thank you very much. Everyone else gave advice as if I already knew to click on "quote"

OK, I'm trying to send invoices for my sales thread and it is only allowing me to send 25 message a day, What kind of garbage is this? I've got 81 invoices to send. Am I supposed to send them out over 4 days? Thats the most insane thing I've ever seen.  Please tell me there is someway to get around this......

4 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

OK, I'm trying to send invoices for my sales thread and it is only allowing me to send 25 message a day, What kind of garbage is this? I've got 81 invoices to send. Am I supposed to send them out over 4 days? Thats the most insane thing I've ever seen.  Please tell me there is someway to get around this......

@Architecht@Scott =)@dena   hopefully someone will be around to help with this, but with it being a holiday and a weekend, you'll probably accomplish it over the 4-days before you get a response.

I know, as a "newer" member, there are some restrictions on PMs, but for me they only lasted 24 hours and I cannot imagine why they would be affecting you.
This past November, I was able to send over 80 PMs in the course of just a couple hours with no problem.

I know it doesn't help for now, but it may attract the attention of someone higher-up who can help.

3 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

You could try making a post in your FS thread, and have them send you a PM.   

I can do that, but on a friday night, probably not going to get a ton of responses.

The point is, why in the are they restricting how many messages you can send. Its never been like this before and obviously, HollyJollyOne was allowed to send them in November.  

6 minutes ago, HollyJollyOne said:

@Architecht@Scott =)@dena   hopefully someone will be around to help with this, but with it being a holiday and a weekend, you'll probably accomplish it over the 4-days before you get a response.

I know, as a "newer" member, there are some restrictions on PMs, but for me they only lasted 24 hours and I cannot imagine why they would be affecting you.
This past November, I was able to send over 80 PMs in the course of just a couple hours with no problem.

I know it doesn't help for now, but it may attract the attention of someone higher-up who can help.

Thanks for tagging them. I should have thought of that. Hopefully someone will look at this and help me out.  I can't even message a mod.