• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for CGC and the Liason Committee

926 posts in this topic

The members of the CGC Liason committee are starting this thread so that all members will have an opportunity to post questions or topics that they would like to raise in our weekly call with Steve Borock. It would certainly be helpful if there were specific questions that multiple members had, but we will certainly do our best to take all of the concerns of the boards to Steve, and then post his response. As soon as we set up the time each week (or so) we will let the boards know. Hopefully, this will be a thread where the questions and issues can be discussed on a rolling basis, and certainly any and all of the members of the committee can look at this thread and get a feel for what should be presented to CGC.

The plan is essentially for one of the three of us, or Harry in our absence, to arrange a time each week to call and present to Steve issues or concerns relating to CGC policy or comic board related concerns, that we would like to address, and present, at least to some degree, that feeling. It is an effort to open communications with CGC and to get a dialog going so that when concerns are raised we do not feel as if we are talking to the wall.

To that end, the role of the committee is to present what Steve tells us and accurately report it on the boards. In addition, I certainly think it's a good idea to raise controversial questions and get the answers that we feel will lead to better information for the comic collecting public.

Arch hopefully will sticky this to the top.

To Steve: Could you comment on the time frame of the grading process with a flow chart example. ie. books arrive, books logged, books graded, encapsulated and sent back. I would like to see CGC's time frames exceeded far under the capped requirements. Thanks for your time!!

Does CGC give blue labels to books published before 1950 that have slight color touch ?

Steve has said before many times that the cutoff for such blue-label-with-notes books is 1950.

label.jpg

Hi Brian,

I think the first order of business should be continued work on getting rid of shills (including our beloved Wertham since that is a sticking point with some people), and the development of a registration system that minimizes or eliminates the return of banned and/or currently suspended users. The registration verification should be implemented in a way that respects an individual's privacy to a reasonable extent, yet prevents the continued abuse of anonymity on the forum. I have stated in the past that I am in support of using my full real name as my forum name if needed, but I respect those who do not wish to go to that length. I’m certain there is a happy medium between that and what currently exists.

Jbud posted in another thread a comment to the effect of - although there are many issues in the hobby, one of the most important things we need to do now is clean up our own backyard. I completely agree with this notion. I feel that making the forums more enjoyable, informative and safe with a lot less game playing will go a long way towards furthering the boards as an effective conduit between CGC, forum members, and the rest of the comic community. To that end, I would personally advocate for less leniency for those who are abusive (habitually or otherwise) towards other members through insults/trolling, as well as violations of other forum rules.

The last thing I’d like to say is that I hope everyone on the boards and committee will think twice before they post, and work harder at taking the high road when it comes to communicating with fellow forumites.

Thanks for listening,

-Jim

Does CGC give blue labels to books published before 1950 that have slight color touch ?

Steve has said before many times that the cutoff for such blue-label-with-notes books is 1950.

label.jpg

hey look! we just saved a phone call! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The registration verification should be implemented in a way that respects an individual's privacy to a reasonable extent, yet prevents the continued abuse of anonymity on the forum. I have stated in the past that I am in support of using my full real name as my forum name if needed, but I respect those who do not wish to go to that length. I’m certain there is a happy medium between that and what currently exists.

Nice post Jim. thumbsup2.gif

Question about a point you raised.

Is there any known 100% proven way to prevent shills from returning to a forum, or marketplace, or Ebay??

What system in place out there works? I admit ignorance about how boards and online verification systems work. But how do those who WANT to get around them.. get around them? i.e. lowlifes, hackers, banned members etc..

Does it just take CC verification? And a verified working telephone #?

Is it that simple, just man hours or new software?

I agree with you that member verification is vital to making this place a more level playing flield. One that allows open discourse amongst people we know went through the same verification process we did to join. I do not need to know a persons real name as long as I know CGC or the Mods know it and trust it is real.

If it takes money to do so. So be it. I have spent countless hours of enjoyment and frustration while on this forum. Sounds like a videogame I've paid money for if you ask me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So I would gladly pay $5-10 to join the board again if it helps defray the cost of a verification process that helps keep the water clean.

These are all just points, and ideas waiting to be shot down, of run with.

Ze-

Hi Brian,

I think the first order of business should be continued work on getting rid of shills (including our beloved Wertham since that is a sticking point with some people), and the development of a registration system that minimizes or eliminates the return of banned and/or currently suspended users. The registration verification should be implemented in a way that respects an individual's privacy to a reasonable extent, yet prevents the continued abuse of anonymity on the forum. I have stated in the past that I am in support of using my full real name as my forum name if needed, but I respect those who do not wish to go to that length. I’m certain there is a happy medium between that and what currently exists.

Jbud posted in another thread a comment to the effect of - although there are many issues in the hobby, one of the most important things we need to do now is clean up our own backyard. I completely agree with this notion. I feel that making the forums more enjoyable, informative and safe with a lot less game playing will go a long way towards furthering the boards as an effective conduit between CGC, forum members, and the rest of the comic community. To that end, I would personally advocate for less leniency for those who are abusive (habitually or otherwise) towards other members through insults/trolling, as well as violations of other forum rules.

The last thing I’d like to say is that I hope everyone on the boards and committee will think twice before they post, and work harder at taking the high road when it comes to communicating with fellow forumites.

Thanks for listening,

-Jim

Make . . . Hulk's . . . Head . . . Hurt smile.gif

And have fun while you're doing it sumo.gif

Is it possible for CGC to denote Pedigree books/ and or page quality in the registry sets? Will there be an avenue to look up books online via the serial number to see graders notes/pedigree designations etc.

I and a few others I believe have an interest in the response to the 2nd half of this question. I think Steve had mentioned something about the publication of graders notes in a format that is available for public consumption. I for one feel that this goes to the Universal nature of their product which has an extended resale potential far beyond the point of encapsulation. IMO since CGC's product is being traded publicly it is incumbent upon them to proliferate the information they garnered about the item in question to garner their grade assessment. This had a direct correlation to the extent to which their product is indeed Universal and can be checked / tracked for tampering and manipulation.

In other words, because not all 8.5s are exactly the same, the factors that contributed to make the item in question an 8.5 are of vital to the authenticity and history of the comic. Since encapsulation restricts the further examination of the comic, the published findings prior to the process comprise vital knowledge that should be available in an easily accessible format to all potential future owners.

Is it possible for CGC to denote Pedigree books/ and or page quality in the registry sets? Will there be an avenue to look up books online via the serial number to see graders notes/pedigree designations etc.

I and a few others I believe have an interest in the response to the 2nd half of this question. I think Steve had mentioned something about the publication of graders notes in a format that is available for public consumption. I for one feel that this goes to the Universal nature of their product which has an extended resale potential far beyond the point of encapsulation. IMO since CGC's product is being traded publicly it is incumbent upon them to proliferate the information they garnered about the item in question to garner their grade assessment. This had a direct correlation to the extent to which their product is indeed Universal and can be checked / tracked for tampering and manipulation.

In other words, because not all 8.5s are exactly the same, the factors that contributed to make the item in question an 8.5 are of vital to the authenticity and history of the comic. Since encapsulation restricts the further examination of the comic, the published findings prior to the process comprise vital knowledge that should be available in an easily accessible format to all potential future owners.

I agree.

Myself, FFB (Scott), Redhook (Brad) and an alternate of Harry (Burntboy)

That's quite the all-star team! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Question: Is the Green Label dead yet? Is that ever going to happen? Or was that just pie-in-the-sky conjecture?

I want to know how long I have to hold on to my stockpile of Green Labels before I re-sub them for Universal Labels 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

First of all thanks to the committee and CGC for setting this up. thumbsup2.gif

I have a couple of minor questions.

1.) With respect to CGC not certifying books with overhang, what type of criteria do they use? For instance, if a GA book is in mid or low grade condition, and already has bent corners, would it be certifed by CGC (since no additional damage will result with the slabbing). I've had books come back ungraded that had very minor overhang, while others with fairly substantial ones were graded. Is there a minimum restriction (1/8, 1/16", etc.)? The only reason I ask this question is so that people don't lose a lot of shipping/insurance fees on a $2K book only for it to come back ungraded due to overhang.

2.) What type of process does CGC use for Pedigree verification? To be more specific, what additional information does CGC require as proof that the book is a pedigree. I always assumed that if a major dealer vouched for a book (by including a label), that CGC would accept the pedigree designation. However, I had a recent incident where CGC had suspicions that the book purchased from a dealer was not a pedigree, and would not list it as such on the label. I can completely understand CGC's position on this subject, but I would hate for collectors to purchase multiple raw pedigree books from certain dealers, only to find out 5 years down the line that the leading graders (CGC) in our community do not think the book is a pedigree. I'm just wondering what additional certificates of authenticity CGC would require, in addition to the book meeting certian qualifications, for the book to be designated a pedigree. For instance, there are pedigrees that have no noticeable marks and the certificate is the only thing left to serve as proof.

3.) What's the process of adding additional runs to the registry. Can a collector make a request to CGC to include an off-beat Golden Age title on the list if their run is significant?

Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

Myself, FFB (Scott), Redhook (Brad) and an alternate of Harry (Burntboy)

That's quite the all-star team! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Question: Is the Green Label dead yet? Is that ever going to happen? Or was that just pie-in-the-sky conjecture?

I want to know how long I have to hold on to my stockpile of Green Labels before I re-sub them for Universal Labels 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif