• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for CGC and the Liason Committee

926 posts in this topic

The registration verification should be implemented in a way that respects an individual's privacy to a reasonable extent, yet prevents the continued abuse of anonymity on the forum. I have stated in the past that I am in support of using my full real name as my forum name if needed, but I respect those who do not wish to go to that length. I’m certain there is a happy medium between that and what currently exists.

Nice post Jim. thumbsup2.gif

Question about a point you raised.

Is there any known 100% proven way to prevent shills from returning to a forum, or marketplace, or Ebay??

What system in place out there works? I admit ignorance about how boards and online verification systems work. But how do those who WANT to get around them.. get around them? i.e. lowlifes, hackers, banned members etc..

Does it just take CC verification? And a verified working telephone #?

Is it that simple, just man hours or new software?

I agree with you that member verification is vital to making this place a more level playing flield. One that allows open discourse amongst people we know went through the same verification process we did to join. I do not need to know a persons real name as long as I know CGC or the Mods know it and trust it is real.

If it takes money to do so. So be it. I have spent countless hours of enjoyment and frustration while on this forum. Sounds like a videogame I've paid money for if you ask me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So I would gladly pay $5-10 to join the board again if it helps defray the cost of a verification process that helps keep the water clean.

These are all just points, and ideas waiting to be shot down, of run with.

Ze-

They could do credit card verification without having to charge anything. There could be an alternative, such as posting your home phone number for phone verification for anyone who doesn't want to or can't use a credit card.

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for setting up this thread. My question is, going back to the "Manufacturing Gold" thread, there was a book that had a double cover that were switched. CGC found that the book had been disassembled but no other work was evident. Does CGC note the diassembly in the grader's notes? If not, would it consider noting such in the future?

Casey

In other words, because not all 8.5s are exactly the same, the factors that contributed to make the item in question an 8.5 are of vital to the authenticity and history of the comic. Since encapsulation restricts the further examination of the comic, the published findings prior to the process comprise vital knowledge that should be available in an easily accessible format to all potential future owners.

Well said, JBud. thumbsup2.gif

I would like to know what Steve eats for breakfast and if eating said food gives one the ability to grade better? i.e ... Popeye eats Spinach and he becomes very strong. Does Steve feast on roast lamb or carrots or what? What is this secret ingredient??

In other words, because not all 8.5s are exactly the same, the factors that contributed to make the item in question an 8.5 are of vital to the authenticity and history of the comic. Since encapsulation restricts the further examination of the comic, the published findings prior to the process comprise vital knowledge that should be available in an easily accessible format to all potential future owners.

Well said, JBud. thumbsup2.gif

DISCLOSE....DISCLOSE...DISCLOSE

DISCLOSE TO A FAULT.

Myself, FFB (Scott), Redhook (Brad) and an alternate of Harry (Burntboy)

That's quite the all-star team! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Question: Is the Green Label dead yet? Is that ever going to happen? Or was that just pie-in-the-sky conjecture?

I want to know how long I have to hold on to my stockpile of Green Labels before I re-sub them for Universal Labels 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good question. And a related question -- when, if ever, is CGC going to implement the new restoration rating scale that is described in the third edition of the Overstreet Grading Guide? And in so doing, will they get rid of the purple label?

1. I was wondering that if a CGC ever goes back to their database/scans and see if they can detrmine if book that they are about to grade are resubs (pedigree, identifying characteristics, etc). Particularly with pedigree books, don't they get concerned about corruption of their census, particularly in rare or valuable books.

2. Has there ever been any consideration to offering a grading service that doesn't include encapsulation, but just results in a report on the books condition (at a reduced fee of coarse)?

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

1. I was wondering that if a CGC ever goes back to their database/scans and see if they can detrmine if book that they are about to grade are resubs (pedigree, identifying characteristics, etc). Particularly with pedigree books, don't they get concerned about corruption of their census, particularly in rare or valuable books.

This one has been answered already. The answer is no.

To that end, I would personally advocate for less leniency for those who are abusive (habitually or otherwise) towards other members through insults/trolling, as well as violations of other forum rules.

893applaud-thumb.gif In that vein, my first question would be what pictures does JC have of Steve Borock or the Mods that has stopped them from booting him off the boards years ago?

Greetings,

1. In line with FFB I would like to see a restoration graduated scale. Lumping in a book with a quarter sized piece replaced and some other minor work with one with half the cover re-created into extensive is unfair. The Minor, Moderate, Extensive scale smacks of the old days of grading, GD, FN and MT. I would be happy to work with Matt Nelson and provide our recommendations of the scale 1 - 1o if CGC would like.

2. Would CGC agree to let Jack Selegue, a noted Chemist perform some tests on the CGC holder to ensure, in fact, that it does not catalyze the browning process on pages with less than white pages?

Thanks for your time,

Bill

Greetings,

1. In line with FFB I would like to see a restoration graduated scale. Lumping in a book with a quarter sized piece replaced and some other minor work with one with half the cover re-created into extensive is unfair. The Minor, Moderate, Extensive scale smacks of the old days of grading, GD, FN and MT. I would be happy to work with Matt Nelson and provide our recommendations of the scale 1 - 1o if CGC would like.

2. Would CGC agree to let Jack Selegue, a noted Chemist perform some tests on the CGC holder to ensure, in fact, that it does not catalyze the browning process on pages with less than white pages?

Thanks for your time,

Bill

What is stopping Jack Selegue from just doing that on his own? I'll even donate an inner well by cracking out a modern and sending it to him. thumbsup2.gif

umm, I got a question:

how is this thread different from the ASK CGC folder? Wasnt the Liason Committee supposed to serve as, well, a liason between postes and Steve/CGC during crises? If all these questions are answered here, great. But Im confused, and would hate to see the Liason committee get sidetracked or mis-applied for question and answer stuff that CGC already created a forum to deal with. It would IMO water down the whole special purpose of the thing.

no?

umm, I got a question:

how is this thread different from the ASK CGC folder? Wasnt the Liason Committee supposed to serve as, well, a liason between postes and Steve/CGC during crises? If all these questions are answered here, great. But Im confused, and would hate to see the Liason committee get sidetracked or mis-applied for question and answer stuff that CGC already created a forum to deal with. It would IMO water down the whole special purpose of the thing.

no?

So should we PM them instead?

And which ID should I use for Red Hook? poke2.gif

Greetings,

Thanks for your time,

Bill

What is stopping Jack Selegue from just doing that on his own? I'll even donate an inner well by cracking out a modern and sending it to him. thumbsup2.gif

Primarily because he has no slabbed books. He needs a slabbed book with tan pages, a slabbed modern and an empty slab.

umm, I got a question:

no?

So should we PM them instead?

And which ID should I use for Red Hook? poke2.gif

Red Hook will do nicely, thank you. yeahok.gif

umm, I got a question:

no?

The Ask CGC folder rarely gets looked at, and answers can be a long time in coming. The whole point of the committee was to get questions presented so that we could talk to CGC and engage in a conversation, ask follow up questions if the initial answer doesn't have sufficient information, and hopefully avoid thread hijacks and flame wars along the way.

Let's give the committee a shot before questioning whether it is going to be effective or not.

Greetings,

Thanks for your time,

Bill

Primarily because he has no slabbed books. He needs a slabbed book with tan pages, a slabbed modern and an empty slab.

Does a slab with CR-OW pages count, or does it actually have to be tan?

Any chance of a non-key Bronze-Age grading tier priced at the same level as moderns?

There are tons of nice 15-20-25 centers that could be graded but at $25+ shipping (after the 25% discount) it's too risky. If you get a 9.2/9.0 you can't get your grading fees back selling it most of the time. This would be for books with a overstreet NM value less than $100.

confused-smiley-013.gif