• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for CGC and the Liason Committee

926 posts in this topic

New FAQ Statement (Pressing/Dry Cleaning)

The following FAQ statement is in direct conflict with the definition of impartiality. By identifying a specific party, it undermines the concept of neutrality and communicates a strong sense of subjective favoritism.

In my opinion, the decision to print such matter is a poor one. It does nothing more than reinforce the perception of preferential treatment.

I encourage CGC to either list all service providers or relegate identification of such to website advertising.

Q: Does CGC perform pressing or dry cleaning?

A: CGC does not perform pressing, dry cleaning or any similar treatments for comic books. These and other services are available from Classics Incorporated. They may be contacted directly as follows:

Classics Incorporated

1440 Halsey Way (Venture Building)

Suite #114

Carrollton, TX 75007

Web: www.classicsincorporated.com

Email: comics@classicsincorporated.com

Please note that pressing and/or dry cleaning performed incorrectly or on a comic book exhibiting certain flaws — such as slightly brittle pages, weak spine, cover wear at staple, and/or other defects — can damage the comic book and lower its grade.

I encourage CGC to either list all service providers or relegate identification of such to website advertising.

I suspect that they don't list everyone that provides pressing because they don't have faith in all those folks to do it correctly.

I'd prefer that they simply not list anyone.

New FAQ Statement (Pressing/Dry Cleaning)

The following FAQ statement is in direct conflict with the definition of impartiality. By identifying a specific party, it undermines the concept of neutrality and communicates a strong sense of subjective favoritism.

In my opinion, the decision to print such matter is a poor one. It does nothing more than reinforce the perception of preferential treatment.

Q: Does CGC perform pressing or dry cleaning?

A: CGC does not perform pressing, dry cleaning or any similar treatments for comic books. These and other services are available from Classics Incorporated. They may be contacted directly as follows:

Classics Incorporated

1440 Halsey Way (Venture Building)

Suite #114

Carrollton, TX 75007

Web: www.classicsincorporated.com

Email: comics@classicsincorporated.com

Please note that pressing and/or dry cleaning performed incorrectly or on a comic book exhibiting certain flaws — such as slightly brittle pages, weak spine, cover wear at staple, and/or other defects — can damage the comic book and lower its grade.

While we know that Matt is not the only one performing this service, perhaps he is the only one who is willing to admit he performs the service and have it in black and white for all to see confused-smiley-013.gif

Is there a business out there that feels slighted that he is the only one mentioned as performing this service that would like their name and number posted there also?

You can't have it both ways. It's like being pregnant. You either are or your not. There's no in between.

Agreed. The response from Arch in this thread before he locked it even further drives the point home IMHO:

So what's the deal with the ads on the headers and footers now?

Thanks for posting that link. I hadn't read that thread. It's disappointing that Arch chose to shut the thread down as the topic was and is a valid one.

I don't really care for the ads on the site. I think it does add the perception of a conflict of impartiality. I can live with them, but just don't like them being here.

While the adds are just a perception and no definitive proof of any bias, the statement made in the FAQ is bias and crosses the impartiality line IMO. I think CGC should stay impartial and not list anyone for those services or any other services.

It would be different if Steve was having a casual conversation with a collector at a con and the topic came up, then he might say, give these guys a call they're pretty good or something. But, to put it in writing as an official suggestion from CGC, is a bad idea and smacks of favortism.

But, to put it in writing as an official suggestion from CGC, is a bad idea and smacks of favortism.

I don't mind favoritism, as long as it's based on a genuine belief that Matt is best at what he does. But, I do agree that it's information best suited for private conversations, not CGC's website.

I don't perform pressing or cleaning services. But if I did, I would view CGC position as a singular endorsement for a business competitor. Such a stance violates third-party independence. The act is inconsistent with a business model built upon neutrality.

I don't perform pressing or cleaning services. But if I did, I would view CGC position as a singular endorsement for a business competitor. Such a stance violates third-party independence. The act is inconsistent with a business model built upon neutrality.

Who said their business model is based on neutrality? I can understand the argument for impartiality when it comes to grading and resto detection, but I don't understand a need for them to be neutral about who they recommend for resto services. If they were neutral as you suggest, then they'd need to list everyone that provides resto services, including those that are cr@ppy at it. I don't know how that benefits the collector.

Again, I think they'd make everyone happy by not recommending anyone at all.

The impartiality aspect extends to other areas as well. For example, a game review magazine sells their cover to a company and that cover ends up being a game positively reviewed in that particular issue. Impartial?

This has been going on for a long time.

As much as I don't like the ads for a variety of reasons, I understand it's a business model that CGC chooses to follow. But then I've disagreed with a lot of CGC's decisions, so why should this instance be any different?

In the long term, it may very well do them more harm than good.

STEVE

Hi Everyone

In response to this:

While we know that Matt is not the only one performing this service, perhaps he is the only one who is willing to admit he performs the service and have it in black and white for all to see

He is NOT the only one who admits performing the service. I have had announcements in Scoop, links on my site and if you do a search engine search for comic book pressing you will find www.eclipsepaper.com at the top of most lists. While I might not be at the top of most collectors lists, I haven't disappeared.

Is there a business out there that feels slighted that he is the only one mentioned as performing this service that would like their name and number posted there also?

Short answer, yes. I would appreciate a link to my business. But I also understand that CGC is going to promote those companies that in-turn promote CGC (especially advertisers that have bought banner space). It is their site, their board, their rules.

And from another thread:

The banner advertising is nothing but a minor way to defray the costs of providing you folks online resources that are beneficial to the community while helping customers to connect with resources.

Then how about listing all of the resources available to the customer, and not limiting the choice to one? That's no choice at all.

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Hi Everyone

In response to this:

While we know that Matt is not the only one performing this service, perhaps he is the only one who is willing to admit he performs the service and have it in black and white for all to see

He is NOT the only one who admits performing the service. I have had announcements in Scoop, links on my site and if you do a search engine search for comic book pressing you will find www.eclipsepaper.com at the top of most lists. While I might not be at the top of most collectors lists, I haven't disappeared.

Short answer, yes. I would appreciate a link to my business. But I also understand that CGC is going to promote those companies that in-turn promote CGC (especially advertisers that have bought banner space). It is their site, their board, their rules.

And from another thread:

The banner advertising is nothing but a minor way to defray the costs of providing you folks online resources that are beneficial to the community while helping customers to connect with resources.

Then how about listing all of the resources available to the customer, and not limiting the choice to one? That's no choice at all.

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Excellent post, Tracey. You echo what many here have said recently in this and other threads. I await an official response from CGC... popcorn.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif