• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
19 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

There have been at least a couple of really active bidders on high-grade Duck books listed on Heritage's Sunday auctions.  If it's only two people, then prices may trend down once they move on.  But it's also possible that Heritage's international reach has brought a number of new collectors into the Duck market.

The census topping FC 456 (US 2) 9.4 (white) I sold recently garnered a strong price from a domestic collector in a private sale.  The other FC 456 9.4 (white) sold around 10 years ago to a European collector in a private sale.  So foreign collectors have been around for quite a while in the Duck area, there are still active domestic Duck collectors, and both are willing to pay strong prices for "rare in grade" books in non-auction settings. 

Yeah, I think there's a real division between census toppers or copies close to the census top and copies where high grades are more plentiful.

I won this one at a smidge below guide -- $806 vs. $850 in the guide.  The same copy sold for $1,016 in 2010 and a different 9.2 copy sold for $3,585! in 2006.

Current census has 7 copies in 9.4 and 2 in 9.2.  My guess is that most of those 9.4s weren't on the census when the 9.2 sold for $3,585 in 2006.  Of course, that copy might have been pressed into a 9.4 by now.

lf.jpg

23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

All the cool kids have a 6.5 copy of that book. :cool:

7bb63c95-cc17-478d-a821-d3be14c1f632_zpsnudmhg9m-2.JPG

:x the date stamp! I think with the incredible prices these books were reaching ten years ago it drug more copies out of closely held collections which in turn reduced the realized prices.  It is possible that as these copies get sucked into long term collections that the prices will start to go back up until the cycle repeats.  I do wonder if the $1,000 6.5 Uncle Scrooge #6 will cause higher grade copies to surface and in what numbers.hm

6 hours ago, Badger said:

:x the date stamp! I think with the incredible prices these books were reaching ten years ago it drug more copies out of closely held collections which in turn reduced the realized prices.  It is possible that as these copies get sucked into long term collections that the prices will start to go back up until the cycle repeats.  I do wonder if the $1,000 6.5 Uncle Scrooge #6 will cause higher grade copies to surface and in what numbers.hm

Currently there are two 8.0s at the top of census.  There have been at least a couple of high-grade Duck collections that have come to market in the last few years, but they didn't include high-grade copies of this book.  Or, if they did, the high-grade copies didn't make it to auction and remain raw.  A 9.4 or 9.2 of this book surfacing would be big news in Duck World and might really bring a high price at auction.

8 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

here are a few more from last year's  Blissard transaction.  I really increased my First Series coverage  and now have 11  of those earliest 25 issues

fc FS 17 Dumbo.jpg

fc FS 17 bc.jpg

I love the Dumbo! It is one of the few early Disney movie issues that I still need. It seems harder to find in a decent grade than most of these. Probably read to death.

But this one looks like it is also a missing FC.  From the coding -- 01-530-207 -- it appears it should fit somewhere in this group:

1319: Lolly and Pepper 01-459-207

1320: Man From Wells Fargo 01-495-207

1321: Marge’s Lulu and Tubby in Japan 01-476-207

1322: The Prince and the Pauper 01-654-207

1323: National Velvet 01-556-207

1324: Pixie Dixie and Mr. Jinx 01-631-207

But there isn't any room.  Any thoughts @4GEMWORKS?  I realize that your list was preliminary and there may be no way to nail down which books should have gone exactly where. 

lf_zpshtzcogs4.JPG

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

Frank Thorne art...

Only 8 books graded on the census.

IMG_20180321_070702~2.jpg

I think most Four Colors don't get graded unless the submitter thinks they will be an 8.0 (or maybe even a 9.0) or higher.  There are exceptions, of course, particularly the Barks duck books and issues from the first series or early numbers from the second series.

6 hours ago, THB said:

Picked this up yesterday from a  local dealer.. 1us.jpg.284301cb7f87e722eef43424264978f1.jpg

The books he still has...... most were nicer than Christmas on Bear Mountain with the Lulus looking F/VF

1ff.jpeg.de5a5d49ab004982d8268ba1c04ab9be.jpeg

Nice group of books.

8 hours ago, THB said:

Picked this up yesterday from a  local dealer.. 1us.jpg.284301cb7f87e722eef43424264978f1.jpg

The books he still has...... most were nicer than Christmas on Bear Mountain with the Lulus looking F/VF

1ff.jpeg.de5a5d49ab004982d8268ba1c04ab9be.jpeg

The Four Color 123 looks great from here.